Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ken777

Re: Please Keep Me in Your Thoughts

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 am

I 3was thinking about weight loss earlier today after an active day. Remembered that I had a Health app on the iPhone that records steps, stairs climbed, etc. Opened the app and discovered under "Activity" that I had Climbed 1 floor, 2,220 Steps and Walked 0.81 miles. As I was thinking BS I realized that I had left the phone on the bedside table a while, left it in the car after running errands, left it in the kitchen, etc, There its a need to keep an eye out for dementia when old and trying to loose weight.

For others a step counter on a smart phone does help. I walked 8 miles on some days when the wife and I went to Paris last now I need to keep in in my pocket during the day and follow up.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:39 am

I wear an Apple Watch and use the health function on my phone. Not counting loss of data due to technical glitches, I can see a very marked decrease in how far I'm able to walk.

One of the tests they administered was strength in my legs hands, how high I could raise them, etc. My right side is "okay," but my left side especially my leg...it doesn't feel weak, but it feels like there's something keeping me from being able to raise it or push with the left foot as high or aswell as I can with the right leg and foot. The grip in my left hand is also significantly worse than that of my right hand.

Before my back flared up, I was going on nightly walks. Now the pain in my lumbar spine prevents that, and that's not even what the surgery is for — at least this surgery.

Marc

Cadet985
Topic Author

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:52 am

Greetings all,

I had my surgery as scheduled. Positive results were seen as soon as strength tests were given in the recovery room. My neck itself is not in a lot of pain...I have more pain in my shoulders and middle back, and my surgeon is not concerned.

My appetite hasn't fully returned yet, and I still tire easily, but again, he's not concerned.

Swallowing isn't as easy as it used to be, but that should ease up with time.

My surgery was on the 30th, I saw the surgeon once after that (after a late night ER run because of suspected fever), and I see him again on the 20th, when hopefully he'll take the stitches out, let me out of this cervical collar (I call it a dog collar), and let me shave!

Thank-you for all of your support.

Marc

Flighty

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:31 am

Good. If you can already see positive signs that is very promising for the long term outcome. Pulling for you Cadet985.

SOBHI51

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Great news, seems prayers and good wishes plus a good doctor and medical care do work. Keep it up.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Oh, such wonderful news (so far)!

Keep us posted!

OA412

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:46 pm

That's great. I'm happy to hear good news.

Ken777

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:14 pm

If you're like me you'll have a "frog" in you throat for a little while. My other challenge was to rehab some muscles that were impacted from the problem disc.

Relax and let your body heal - then take a vacation somewhere to enjoy your upgraded body.

WarRI1

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:26 am

May you have a quick recovery and a successful one.

bunumuring

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

Hey mate,
Great news.
I am so happy for you and hope all goes well with the continued treatment.
Thanks for letting us all know!
Take care, be strong,
Bunumuring

Cadet985
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:57 am

I shaved for the first time since surgery earlier - I don't know how those of you with beards do it...I was so uncomfortable!

The pain in my shoulders and neck is lessening, but I'm still having some difficulties swallowing...almost choked on some ice cream earlier.

Ken777 - I wish I had the luxury of a vacation. The Tuesday after my surgery, I was back looking for work. I'm still not having luck, and am looking into funding options for going back to school to be an aircraft dispatcher.

Marc

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:31 am

Cadet985 wrote:
I shaved for the first time since surgery earlier - I don't know how those of you with beards do it...I was so uncomfortable!

The pain in my shoulders and neck is lessening, but I'm still having some difficulties swallowing...almost choked on some ice cream earlier.

Ken777 - I wish I had the luxury of a vacation. The Tuesday after my surgery, I was back looking for work. I'm still not having luck, and am looking into funding options for going back to school to be an aircraft dispatcher.

Marc

First off, hoping for a speedy recovery. But as it pertains to dispatch school, that should be well under ten grand. It's a great job if you can get past that point.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:56 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

Marc

First off, hoping for a speedy recovery. But as it pertains to dispatch school, that should be well under ten grand. It's a great job if you can get past that point.

Thanks.

I basically have a school picked out, but am just looking for money. I figure between airfare, the school, living costs, and having some money left for any retests that I'd need about $10k.

Are you in the field of dispatching? I'd love to talk to someone in the field.

Marc

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

Marc

Thanks.

I basically have a school picked out, but am just looking for money. I figure between airfare, the school, living costs, and having some money left for any retests that I'd need about $10k.

Marc

Marc,

I have done, but no longer (it's been about 12 years now). I do power plant reliability mgmt these days. But dispatch was good. Like anything in aviation, school will do a good job with what you need to he certificated for, and the job will get you very, very detail oriented. And also like most things in aviation, you'll want to budget about a decade or so before you really start seeing good money for it. Do you have a good idea of where you want to work?

Cadet985
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:10 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Thanks.

Marc

Marc,

I have done, but no longer (it's been about 12 years now). I do power plant reliability mgmt these days. But dispatch was good. Like anything in aviation, school will do a good job with what you need to he certificated for, and the job will get you very, very detail oriented. And also like most things in aviation, you'll want to budget about a decade or so before you really start seeing good money for it. Do you have a good idea of where you want to work?

The goal is one of the major airlines in the States, but realistically being almost 32 and having no real work experience, I'd be willing to work almost anywhere. Actually, I've only found one airline that flies to/from the U.S. that wouldn't at least look at a job inquiry/application for dispatcher and that's El Al. When I asked them a few years ago about even a job in their NYC ticket office, they told me that they only hire from within the IDF.

If you're asking about specific airlines, my top choices would be DL, UA, or UPS, but I'm open to any.

Marc.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 am

Well, we're all familiar with Murphy's Law, and Mr. Murphy has visited me.

I saw the surgeon for my routine post-op visit. X-rays revealed that 1 of the 5 screws holding the plate in place is already coming loose.

A minor surgery is scheduled for August 21 to fix that.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Godspeed Marc,

Wish you nothing but the best. Keep up the good fight and stay positive. You're experiencing a rough patch now, but there are happy days to come.