usflyer msp

RE: Tubman To Replace Jackson On $20 (US) Bill

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:43 pm

I love that so many white people (+ Ben Carson) are freaking out about this. I want to be a fly on the wall when someone hands them their first tubby.

I hope they go with this version of the bill...

That would make my life...

Tugger

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 12):
There is no need to replace Jackson.

But there is also no reason not to. So why not do it?

And in fact the Treasury will likely make a bundle of money on it up front as millions "preserve" and save their first Tubby Twenty and then go on to lose them and they never go into circulation....

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 33):
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 16):
There may not have been a need to replace Jackson, but there seemed to be a desire to.

Thing is, unless I'm completely off-base, it certainly appears that this desire only seemed to develop around the time there were demands for a woman to appear on U.S. paper currency.

And again, why not do that? We change our currency from time to time. And there is no reason to NOT put a worthy woman on a USA issued bank note/bill.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 33):
Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
Is a desire to put a woman on a banknote really in deference to political correctness?

Isn't it, though? While Jackson is certainly convenient (and a reasonable choice) given his background, regardless there was a movement to get a woman - any woman - on a U.S. banknote. Period. It was just a matter of who would be replaced, and what woman would replace that individual.

When you're making a point of specifically recognizing someone on a banknote due to their gender - that being the primary reason for the change - then yes, it's definitely in deference to political correctness.

No, it is not. It is due to the fact that there a many worth while woman that could be honored and so one one chosen. Any process to select "worthy candidates" has to have criteria. Period. And you create criteria to meet certain requirement and often one of those is to do something that isn't already existing. And put simply, there are currently no women on any USA bank notes so it becomes an initial screening criteria.

That is not "political correctness".

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 34):
We can not control what others do to us, we can only control our reaction to those things.

As I like to say: "I cannot control if you try to GIVE offense, I can only control if I wish to TAKE it."

As to the side discussion on political correctness, it is what it is and the issue is that it is POLITICAL. And depends fully on ones politics as to whether someone may consider something to be such, and whether they will view it as acceptable or offensive. Some people want to through the title of "PC" just so they can attack it on that aspect alone.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

TWA772LR

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:19 pm

Teddy Roosevelt should be on some form of US currency IMO.

Since the government is going all PC on us, how about Crispus Attucks?

Or even better than my aforementioned two, Jackie Robinson.
Eat 'em up Kats!

LMP737

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:55 pm

There is no need to replace Jackson.

He should have never been on there in the first place. A president like John Adams was more worthy than him.

Sad part it is the racists and bigots in the democrat party that want this change, which is ironic considering Jackson was a democrat.

Please step away from the talk radio
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

victrola

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:14 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 47):
Will the future bills include people in poverty today, who are targeted by law enforcement as criminals?

Back in the day, Australia had Francis Greenway, a convicted forger on their $10.00 note.

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 50):
I hope they go with this version of the bill...

....it has a gun on it. That alone may bring them around to it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

bhill

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:54 pm

While I respect the Civil Rights aspect, why do the folks on currency always have to have a political connection? I am sure there are citizens, female and male of many color, that have made important contributions to the US history that were not politically connected.
Carpe Pices

A332DTW

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:28 pm

The guy was genocidal, but I digress... wasn't he against paper currency anyway? Ironic to have him on a bill in the first place. And why people's heads are spinning I don't understand. He's not being taken off completely, just moved over to the other side.

flyingturtle

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 56):
While I respect the Civil Rights aspect, why do the folks on currency always have to have a political connection? I am sure there are citizens, female and male of many color, that have made important contributions to the US history that were not politically connected.

Yes, this reeks of "We have to honor somebody, and to play it safe, we'll honor a politician. I hope it makes the people in D.C. happy."

Again, I want to pitch in: I grew up with the Swiss bank notes of 1976. On the bills, every person was a male Swiss scientist or an architect. Euler, the famous mathematician, was one of them. The issue of the late 1990ies had artists and writers who did much of their career abroad, or had a large impact abroad (Le Corbusier, Ramuz, Giacometti).

While Germans have a penchant for naming airports, schools and hospitals after famous people (Bonhoeffer, Luther, Adenauer and much lesser figures like Willy Brandt, who is honored by that famous BER construction site), you better don't try it in Switzerland.

These cultural differences are all interesting.

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Tugger

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 52):
Teddy Roosevelt should be on some form of US currency IMO.

Since the government is going all PC on us, how about Crispus Attucks?

Or even better than my aforementioned two, Jackie Robinson.

Sure why not? How about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr? Or Eisenhower or Adams? Or Niel Armstrong or Jesse Owens? Or..... you get the picture. There are a lot of great Americans that deserve honor and you have to at some point stop and pick just one. And quite frankly Harriet Tubman is right there among the top people on any decent list of great American's

Quoting bhill (Reply 56):

How exactly are you saying Harriet Tubman was political?

Generally anyone who has had a national impact on the USA and created benefits to the citizens as well will have a "political" aspect as well. It is just the nature of the beast.

This is an decent article on her:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...ubman-the-new-face-of-the-20-bill/

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 58):
we'll honor a politician

She wasn't a politician. She was very active in civil rights and political actions of the time but she was never an elected member of the government (which is what I am using to qualify someone as a "politician").

Tugg

[Edited 2016-04-21 12:54:18]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

flyingturtle

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 59):
There are a lot of great Americans that deserve honor and you have to at some point stop and pick just one.

Hmmm... well, why a person to begin with? Why not iconic moments in US culture and history, like motives from Norman Rockwell's paintings? The sufferings of the Donner Party? The Dust Bowl? Charles Manson? The moon landing? Slavery? Pictures from a Sergio Leone western? The Ford Bronco on the highway? Oliver North's testimony? Sorry, I get carried away with sarcasm...

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Tugger

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 60):
Sorry, I get carried away with sarcasm...

Yup, and I was about to say "Any of those, sure why not!?"  

As you note in you previous post culture differences are interesting. Apparently in the USA we like people on our money. Dead people in particular.

Tugg

caoimhin

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:28 pm

I heard a remark on a podcast this past week about what a meaningless gesture this is. Many Americans are using cashless payment modalities anyway these days. Perhaps it would have been more symbolic for Citi to issue a Harriet Tubman Gold Visa Card!

I'm more interested to see the artwork they've planned for the reverse side of the other notes. Frankly, the US is long overdue for a more aggressive currency redesign campaign. Years ago, a graphic design student did some outstanding concept work on which the artwork paid homage to ideas and achievements rather than particular individuals in history.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/28/7082169/us-currency-redesign

I think they look great, and they give an opportunity for the US to finally address the issue of currency accessibility for the vision impaired. The US notes are a bit behind the times on that. Still, I prefer the overall look of the existing notes to euro notes, which look barren, generic, and celebrate no particular feature of European history--just some fictitious bridges.

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:48 am

Hehehehe....

https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/13043303_10209669529681590_4051498226087528814_n.jpg?oh=f3b5cd68e376d84209715f41a694e64f&oe=57BCB597
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LMP737

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:54 pm

I won't point out that the Democratic and Republican parties of those respective era's no longer exist.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:44 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 64):
I won't point out that the Democratic and Republican parties of those respective era's no longer exist.

Great, then I won't point out that "eras" doesn't need an apostrophe.   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

coolian2

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:24 am

A grammatical error or willful ignorance of history.

The right wins again!
Bollocks.

johnboy

Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:45 am

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/04/2...man-20-bill-grossest-way-possible/

"...The right-wing seems to have two reactions to this new development. The first is to blame “Obama” for “pandering” to African-Americans and blackwashing history, discarding the value of Jackson’s military victories and praising him for organizing genocide against Native Americans.

The second is to try to twist the narrative, painting Tubman as a “black Republican” and Jackson as a “Democrat,” even though of obviously the natures of the parties have not remained constant over the past two hundred years."

Hmmm.....

Actually, i love the tweet about well-meaning white patriots raising concerns. Sounds so appropriate in this thread.

[Edited 2016-04-25 21:51:15]

aloges

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:50 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 58):
much lesser figures like Willy Brandt

Irony, I hope?  
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:41 am

Quoting johnboy (Reply 67):
The second is to try to twist the narrative, painting Tubman as a “black Republican” and Jackson as a “Democrat,” even though of obviously the natures of the parties have not remained constant over the past two hundred years

Providing facts is "twisting the narrative" ?

coolian2

Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:56 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 69):
Providing facts is "twisting the narrative" ?

Never hurts to provide all of the facts, and historical context.
Bollocks.

DIRECTFLT

Re: Tubman To Replace Jackson On $20 (US) Bill

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:56 am

Do not forget Harriet Tubman’s courage on the Underground Railroad

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling