jetwet1

Re: Cruise Ship Thread Part 4

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Just got an email from Princess.

Caribbean Princess, Sept 22nd, 15 day Trans Atlantic, $399 pp for a balcony room !

OA260

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Just got an email from Princess.

Caribbean Princess, Sept 22nd, 15 day Trans Atlantic, $399 pp for a balcony room !

Bargain and lovely ship especially after the refurb. I was onboard Caribbean Princess a few weeks back for a luncheon. Older ship but by no means a lesser standard.

Interesting new concept for ship ID :

jetwet1

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:29 pm

I do have a soft spot for the Caribbean Princess having spent many nights onboard (in the same cabin every cruise) but after sampling the Regal Princess, I don't know if I could go back.....Then again, $399....Yeah I could.

2707200X

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:34 am

Though it looks like the Golden and Crown Princess that I have sailed on as they are the same class, the color scheme and decor look quite airy.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

bananaboy

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:17 pm

I must admit I struggle to really understand Princess. I've seen a couple of their ships now (just on visits) and they're quite nice but when I asked one of their sales guys what was unique about them they said "great food, great service and wide choice of destinations."

Now, I'll give it to them that 370 ports is a lot, but I only want to see the ones I want so probably 365 of those would be meaningless to me when choosing my next holiday. Great food and service are things that every single cruise line promote themselves as having, and I didn't think that the lunches I had were particularly memorable. I do appreciate port lunch menus aren't necessarily that great so I can give them the benefit of the doubt that a little there.

I understand the proposition offered by the others clearly but even as someone who has worked in the industry for 20+ years, I do struggle with them.

Often with many smaller or niche products, it is said that you need to "sail it to understand it" but I've not come across that with a supposed mainstream product.

So, for you Princess Cruise veterans, what keeps you going back to Princess? I'm genuinely keen to know.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

jetwet1

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:14 pm

bananaboy wrote:
So, for you Princess Cruise veterans, what keeps you going back to Princess? I'm genuinely keen to know.

Mark

Interesting question, and honestly, it's hard to answer, part of it is going to sound all to common to anyone in the hospitality industry and part of it is going to sound strange*.

For us, there is a comfort level, we have been on many lines covering all the price brackets, as you hint at, when it comes to the mass market lines, it's like the hotel industry, little things set each brand apart, the first time we sailed on HAL I really didn't like it, the food was amazingly bad, the crew average at best, the next time was the complete opposite.

Carnival was great, good value for money, good food (their steakhouse is still a bargain) but over the last couple of years the cost cutting has just become more and more evident, the final straw was the movie to the American menu, the food was okay (some dishes were amazing, some terrible), but a silly thing like taking away the table clothes meant that on a moving, vibrating ship, we had glasses rattling, plates sliding (including a whole 8 top table losing everything when we hit a nasty wave), spilled drinks flowing across tables. Yes it's a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but it made a huge difference to us.

Princess, we have never had these issues with them, any time we step onboard there is a comfort** feeling, the staff are always friendly, the food is good, it hits the sweet spot for us when it comes to the party time (Carnival) and the sun has set, time for bed crowd (HAL) . They have the consistence thing nailed down, it doesn't matter what ship you are one, where you are sailing, it will be the "Princess" experience.

Certainly there are lines that are better, but IMHO, bang for the buck, they are hard to beat.

*My first Princess cruise was in Oct 2001 on the Sun Princess, Sabatini's served an amazing lasagna...I am a lasagna freak, I have searched in vain on every Princess ship, but nothing has equaled that first lasagna....Not going to stop me from trying.

The one big negative until late 2015 was the beds, I think Princess managed to buy all the mattress from the former Iraqi prison system, they were amazingly bad, to the point where we would stop at Walmart on the way to the ship and pick up a foam topper to put on top of it, then gift it to the room steward (we actually checked with them before we left it). However, Princess switched over to the same mattress Carnival uses, they are good, not Westin good, but good.

So in brief, good food, good crew, enough fun, but not to much...Oh I forgot, the C deck on the Grand class, these are regular balcony cabins one deck above the mini suites, the balcony acts as the roof to the mini suite, so you have a balcony 2 1/2 times the size of the regular balcony, great place to hang out with friends and have a glass of wine before dinner.

bananaboy

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks for such a detailed response Jetwet1. Really interesting to read from an experienced passenger, and even more to see you're also not entirely sure why you enjoy them so much! :lol:

Interestingly, you mentioned about a consistent level of comfort which did remind me that that had been mentioned during the ship tour so perhaps that a factor in wider appeal.

Thanks again for the response. Much appreciated.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

ChrisKen

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Anything concrete on Virgin Voyages yet?

OA260

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
Anything concrete on Virgin Voyages yet?

Wärtsilä power for Virgin Voyages fleet

Wärtsilä has been contracted to provide a comprehensive scope of solutions for three new 2800 passenger cruise vessels being built for Virgin Voyages.

The order for the new ships, which are to be built at the Fincantieri shipyard in Italy, includes Wärtsilä engines, hybrid exhaust cleaning scrubber systems and selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems.

"We are very pleased to be able to partner Wärtsilä for our first series of ships. Their technical expertise, commitment to supporting our sustainability goals and excellent reputation made them the best choice for us,” said Stuart Hawkins, Senior Vice President, Marine & Technical, Virgin Voyages.

The ships will each be powered by two eight-cylinder and two twelve-cylinder Wärtsilä 46F engines. Meanwhile, the Wärtsilä Hybrid Scrubber System selected for the vessels has the flexibility to operate in both open and closed loop modes using seawater to remove sulphur oxides (SOx) from the exhaust.

http://www.motorship.com/news101/ships- ... ages-fleet

SmithAir747

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm taking the plunge and planning my dream cruise--the Cunard Queen Mary 2 transatlantic crossing from New York City to Southampton, for next summer (2018).

Is any one summer month (June, July, or August 2018) the best for taking the voyage?

I'll be booking within the next few days, so your help and advice is appreciated.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Cunard

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:20 pm

I am sure your have a fantastic and a truly amazing experience sailing on the iconic Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton.

Either of the months you mentioned will be fine.

Jetwet1

Your comments regarding as to why you appreciate Princess Cruises and in particular the comments regarding consistency and the comfort feeling onboard truly represents the brand in a good way and I'm very pleased that you feel that way and hopefully your be welcomed aboard a Princess Cruise very soon in the same way as you have always done.

jetwet1

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks, it's actually going to be a while before we are on princess again.

We have a family thing at the start of next year, then I am going to be spending half my year flying to and from Europe on business, then we will be on the QM2 in December....At least that's the plan right now lol, so maybe 2019.

Dano1977

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 am

I'm bored at work and been looking through Youtube for inspiration on a project I'm working on and stumbled across this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzKeVvfOqxA

It's about the cancelled Carnival Pinnacle project. looked like an interesting project.
Children should only be allowed on aircraft if 1. Muzzled and heavily sedated 2. Go as freight

SmithAir747

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Here's the original video of the cancelled Carnival Pinnacle project, from the shipyard Fincantieri itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nT5h6XIrs

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

2707200X

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 am

Here is the Carnival Pinnacle

"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

kellyon

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 am

wow it looks incredible! I like to watch live stream at http://worldcams.tv/cities/palma-de-mallorca-harbour from a major port in the Mediterranean, Palma de Mallorca. The webcam gives perfect view of the ships making port and moves to various locations around this amazing city. Hope one day I'll visit this place and spend a great cruise vacation there.

2707200X

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:07 am

Celebrity's Edge class ship. 129.500 GT