Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ps76

RE: Best Films You Ever Saw And Why

Wed May 09, 2012 10:09 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 49):
K-19 The Widowmaker was fantastic if generally unknown. Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson.

Yeah I liked that movie too. Thanks for reminding me of it!

Pierre

imiakhtar

Wed May 09, 2012 11:02 am

Arrietty. Japanese anime adaptation of The Borrowers.

To Kill a Mockingbird. The book is one of my favourites. The movie is almost as good.

LOTR - The Fellowship of the Ring. Similar reason to the above. I'm a huge fan of Tolkien and his fantasy world. I'm a bit of a purist and I think the other two movies detract too much away from the books.

All Quiet on the Western Front. As someone of Pakistani heritage, I've had family members in the armed forces all the way back to the first days of the British Raj. My great grandfather served in the British Indian Army in the trenches on the Western Front. I think this film best portrays the horrors of that war.

One Day in the life of Ivan Denisovich. A very depressing film but very well made.

There are probably a lot more and I agree with many that others have listed, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

tommy767

Wed May 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 40):

Silence of the Lambs is an excellent movie. I'd also like to give a shout out to Manhunter (1986) the prequel to it, directed by Michael Mann. Both are very well done.

With more thought since my original posting, I'll list a few of my all timers:
--Fargo
--Blue Velvet
--Raging Bull
--Good Fellas
--The Big Lebowski
--Apocalypse Now
--Le Samurai
--North by Northwest
--2001 A Space Odyssey
--Short Cuts
--Heat
--Dog Day Afternoon

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
Saturday Night Fever

Oh this movie is a CLASSIC. I saw this probably when I was in fourth or fifth grade. I didn't get it, but saw it for the first time in years last year and it's so, sooooo good.

tepidhalibut

Sat May 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Looking at the starting post, amongst my favourites that might interest the ThreadStarter :

"The Wages of Fear" (Le Salaire de la peur) - 1983 When a South American oil well owned by an American company catches fire, the company hires four European men, down on their luck, to drive two trucks over mountain dirt roads, carrying the nitroglycerine needed to extinguish the fire. Spends the first third of the movie showing what a bunch of worthless losers the main characters are. The rest of the movie...oh boy.... you're nerves may not cope, but you'll be willing them to succeed.

The Beguiled - 1971. One of the most uncharacteristic Clint Eastwood movies that Clint starred in. If fact, one of the very few where....no. I'll say too much. Don Siegel directed the story where close to the end of the American Civil War, injured Yankee soldier John McBurney is rescued on the verge of death by a twelve year old girl from an all-girl boarding school in Louisiana

Four Lions - 2010. A black comedy about would be suicide bombers. Yes, you read that right. Like "Dr Strangelove..." it's a comedy I utterly love, but I rarely laugh at. And remember, You can't win an argument just by being right!

and for a trashy indulgence :
Gone in 60 Seconds - 1974 (NOT the remake). It centers on a group of car thieves and the 48 cars they must steal in a matter of days. The film is famous for having wrecked and destroyed 93 cars in a 34-minute car chase scene, with much of the filming being done in true guerrilla style.

Hope this provides some food for thought.

flyingturtle

Sat May 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Another of my very favourite movies:

Les 400 coups, by François Truffaut. IMHO there isn't a film that more poignantly shows how a child can be estranged from his parents and also from his school.

The Day of the Jackal, the 1973 film by Fred Zinneman about the plot to kill President de Gaulle. It's really nerve-wrecking – a smart, remorseless killer that will do anything if the price is right. And then the police detectives that, in the 1960ies, didn't have the luxury of computers and modern communication and must stop him at any cost. (The 1997 version named "The Jackal" has to be watched with utmost contempt.)

David

bristolflyer

Sat May 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 54):
The Day of the Jackal,

Fantastic film, I love it.

HAWK21M

Sun May 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Lakshya......Motivational & depicts the kargil war in the background.
3 Idiots.....Good message.
Tintin The Secrets of the Unicorn......Fantastic visuals.
Back to the future.....Time travel.....

BNE

Thu May 24, 2012 10:28 am

I don't think this movie have got a mention just yet.

The Gods Must Be Crazy. Youtube link. my favourite.

Another more recent one is "Up In The Air" I know a lot of my friends who are always flying.

sturmovik

Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 57):
The Gods Must Be Crazy

Loved these as a kid!

LH526

Thu May 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Lost in translation
No yountry for old men
The American
To catch a thief

They are not movies, they are art!

bjorn14

Sat May 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Midnight Express
The Hunt for Red October
A Little Romance
Max Manus
The King's Speech

I loved how they tied Coming to America to Trading Places. Hilarious!

RussianJet
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 60):
The Hunt for Red October

Oh man. That film certainly has some merits, but the 'Russian' is just excruciating to hear!

TheRedBaron

Sun May 27, 2012 2:37 am

groundhog day....the best ever.... no I am not kidding..

DIRECTFLT

Re: RE: Best Films You Ever Saw And Why

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:05 am

compensateme wrote:
The Silence of the Lambs - the greatest movie of all-time.

PUT THE #@$#&% LOTION IN THE BASKET!!!

R.I.P. Jonathan Demme

The Silence of the Lambs was a phenomenon in 1991. People from all walks of life were talking about it. One of those rare films that has "word on the street" quality to it. Like Alien did in 1979.

His Masterpiece :trophy:

TWA772LR

Re: Best Films You Ever Saw And Why

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Enemy at the Gates
Inglorious Bastards - really made me appreciate the role of the bad guy in a movie. If you really do end up hating him, that means the actor is amazing (Christoph Waltz).
Django Unchained - I still haven't seen the whole thing, but like I said, I love Christoph Waltz, as well as Leonardo Di Caprio (even though he is on the decline) and Samuel L. Jackson.
Catch Me if You Can - obvious reasons. There needs to be more Tom Hanks and di Caprio movies.
Star Wars
Boondock Saints - really appeals to the Catholic Irishman in me lol
American Gangster
Independence Day
Air Force One
Pirates of the Caribbean - Geoffrey Rush, IMO, was the best part of the series (besides Kiera Knightley and Penelope Cruz!). His character is definitely more of a pirates pirate whereas Depp appealed to my generation in the since of being off the wall and unorthodox. I'm odd in the way that I like the classic style of doing some things.

And who could forget the movies that are so stupid they are actually brilliant and define your generation?
Super Troopers
Joe Dirt
Talladega Knights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Step Brothers

DIRECTFLT

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:06 am

My Very Best Movie Theater Experience was:

Alien in 1979 at the large Medallion Theater in Dallas in 70mm (Exclusive Dallas Engagement)

The Medallion opened in 1968 with Butch Cassidy on October 30th, 1969. Notable exclusives there were The Godfather, The Sting, MASH, American Graffiti, Deliverance, and Chinatown. Medallion held sneak of Jaws and Steven Spielberg cited the Medallion as his “good luck theater” and one of his most memorable moments. He also sneaked Close Encounters and 1941 before moving his sneaks to the nearby NorthPark I & II.

Aesma

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 am

Since childhood I've been a big fan of going to the movies. As a teen I would go with my friends most Sunday mornings (half price ticket). Then when I was about 18 French cinema chains launched their unlimited cards and I have had at least one since then (for a time I had two, when I lived in Paris). So I see at least 100 movies a year.

My most memorable experience is probably Lost In Translation. If you liked it, you will understand why, if not, you won't.

What I like with the movie theater is that you're really immersed in the movie, no distraction. For a movie like Lost In Translation, it makes all the difference.

mbmbos

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Aesma wrote:
My most memorable experience is probably Lost In Translation. If you liked it, you will understand why, if not, you won't.

I love the film. It has really stuck with me through the years.

salttee

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:13 pm

Any compilation with Blue Velvet and Leaving Las Vegas should also have U Turn listed. I have watched all three of these movies more than once.

The Man Who Would Be King almost belongs in the same category as the above three yet the story is by Rudyard Kipling.
Mulholland Drive has been addicting for me, every time I watch it I see something new.
Children of Paradise (Les Enfants du Paradis)is a great movie, but the fact that it was filmed in German Occupied France gives it special meaning for me.

For pure escapism and dark humor, Brazil is a favorite of mine.

Francoflier

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Well, it is a 5 year-old thread, but I suppose the topic is still valid...

2001: A Space Odyssey.

A movie from 1968 that still blows most current-day SF movies out of the water.

ClassicLover

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Aliens. Just one of the best movies I've ever seen, it really has it all going for it and stunning performances too! Sigourney Weaver should have won Best Actress!

North by Northwest. Always a great watch and does a lot in some places without saying much - the crop duster scene is brilliant!

Commando. Excellent action film and so underrated.

Gone With The Wind. Really chugs along at a rapid pace. Anyone who I make watch it who didn't think they'd like it always love it.

Airport. What's not to like? It's so well shot and the decompression scene is technically very accurate. A one time only deal because of cost apparently.

Bring It On. Yes, really... it's such a fun teen movie and I've always had a soft spot for it!

American Gangster. Fabulous performances and I can watch it time and again. The unrated long cut is the best.

Jackie Brown. Love most Tarantino movies and this one is my favourite. Pam Grier is a brilliant actress.

L.A. Confidential. Another great movie with superb acting and cinematography.

Elizabeth. The one that brought Cate Blanchett to mainstream audiences, while not that historically accurate, a really well done film.

Pretty Woman. Pure romance escapism and it's an enjoyable watch. Puts me in a good mood if I am feeling down.

The Great Escape. Such an excellent movie with the escape portrayed as it really happened.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Very good story and a fitting swansong for the original cast.

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:46 pm

best sci-fi "Bladerunner"
I enjoyed Lord of War, Blood Diamond and The Last King of Scotland. I also enjoyed War Inc although not the caliber of the others ,
Anything by Leslie Nielsen gets my seal of approval.
Monty Python's life of Brian

FriscoHeavy

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 am

The Passion of the Christ

DIRECTFLT

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:47 am

Aesma wrote:

What I like with the movie theater is that you're really immersed in the movie, no distraction. For a movie like Lost In Translation, it makes all the difference.

What I don't like about going to the movies today, is the prevalence of smart phone use while the movie is going on. In Stadium Theater seating, with people sitting below you, the light of a smart phone screen, when someone is checking their texts, or e-mails, or whatever, takes me out of the film enough of a degree that I won't spend my money to be distracted like that. I'll wait and watch the movie on my modest home theater system.

Perhaps this isn't such a big deal for those attending the big action films, with lots of explosions and such. Or at an IMAX screen where you're mostly looking up to the screen. Or not as noticeable with 3-D glasses on...

The other thing I found distracting, was the clank of silverware, and, the light of the order "phone," at one of these trendy movie houses that serve food to your movie "table".

aerosreenivas

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:31 am

Here are my favorite movies that I have watched till date.

The Ghost Rider - Spirit of Vengeance
Harry Potter and the deathly hallows - Part 2
Life is Beautiful
Fast and Furious 8
3 Idiots
PK
Avengers - Civil War
Spider Man

Aircellist

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Movies from other countries are very rare in here…

DaveFly

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Since Silence of the Lambs brought this thread back to life, I'll just say that I was riveted when I first saw it. Further viewing has made me repulsed by it. The whole premise is so revolting -- cannibalism, human and animal torture -- I could never watch it again.

Someone mentioned Lawrence of Arabia -- yes, it's long-winded. But it's still relevant as an illustration of how the Arabs were the pawns of the British and French, and how the effects resound even today in constant war. And that music!

Leaving aside the obvious Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, et al -- I've really appreciated films like Best Years of our Lives, Ordinary People, Midnight in Paris.

edmaircraft

Thu May 04, 2017 2:29 am

I will always love Monty Python and Austin Powers! I also loved American Sniper and Blackhawk Down. I also thoroughly enjoyed Logan. I appreciate the storylines of AS and BD, and the cinematography in Logan. The humour in the old British films is splendid, as well.

kellyon

Wed May 10, 2017 7:00 am

for me it's "7 Years In Tibet" (1997)
awesome movie about great people. It's definitely worth watching

maortega15

Thu May 11, 2017 1:41 am

Always loved Rush Hour! :D

The combo of James Carter and Lee make for a great comedy!

Georgetown

Thu May 11, 2017 5:10 am

Two in my top five or so that I'm surprised haven't been mentioned yet:

Animal House
A River Runs Through It

SOBHI51

Thu May 11, 2017 3:24 pm

A couple of oldies, both extremely funny.
It's a mad mad world, with a bunch of great comedians.
The party, with Peter Sellers.

VapourTrails

Fri May 12, 2017 2:08 am

Titanic (1997). Based on an historical event that we all know about; great acting and CGI; costume drama, the sets and character levels and mix and social history; the storyline had a bit of everything, e.g. drama, adventure, action, some humour, romance, tears, suspense.

Harry Potter movie series. Based on the books, and highly anticipated move to the big screen, the movies for me did not disappoint.

From Here to Eternity (1953). A classic love story. I like the location filming used as well.

Midnight in Paris (2011). This movie really got me. The portrayal of Ernest Hemingway was amazing. It also confirmed Owen Wilson as one of my favourite actors, for his role in this movie.

Beralvam

Mon May 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Inception blew my mind! The only one is on my mind now

Dano1977

Re: RE: Best Films You Ever Saw And Why

Mon May 29, 2017 6:09 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
compensateme wrote:
The Silence of the Lambs - the greatest movie of all-time.

PUT THE #@$#&% LOTION IN THE BASKET!!!

R.I.P. Jonathan Demme

The Silence of the Lambs was a phenomenon in 1991. People from all walks of life were talking about it. One of those rare films that has "word on the street" quality to it. Like Alien did in 1979.

His Masterpiece :trophy:

Off Topic

The inspiration for the Silence of the Lambs glass/perspex cell came from...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/apr/27/ukcrime

Maudsley is housed in a 'glass cage', a two-cell unit at HMP Wakefield prison that bears an uncanny resemblance to the one featured in The Silence of the Lambs. It was built for Maudsley in 1983, seven years before the film was released

Favourite films

A bridge to far
Siege of Jadotville