Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aussiemite
Topic Author

Stupid Cops

Thu Sep 14, 2000 2:13 pm

Today on the news I saw an unmarked cop car go bizerk and run over PEACEFULL protesters of the anti free trade movment..

next storey on the news (from USA) close to a dozen cops brutally beating down a black who stole a car.. sure I definatly disagree with thiefs ive even had my car stolen not long ago but 12 v 1 seems a little unfare especially seeings he had surrendered..

something ive been thinking about over the past few days all these cops haven a bitch about being attacked by anti free traders.. bet ur ass they will all claim compensation for any injuries.. free trade organisations hope to abolish compensation.. So the cops are helping their government/business leaders take their rights away.. now dont have a whinge and tell me that the cops are just doing their job, if they were just treating it as a job they woudnt have been so brutal on protesters..

As centered as I am the stupidity of our government and bloody mindedness of "our protective services" fuels a great hatred towards our goverment inside me.

Regards,

Aussiemite

RE: Stupid Cops

Thu Sep 14, 2000 3:33 pm

I think the US police are kind of cowdly. When the Lakers one, they where there letting the vandals trash the cars, and then the next day they claim that they did a good job. When vandalism is happening and you are doing nothing about it I am sorry I think you should be ashamed. And when the DNC was in LA there where tons of police and they beat people up with there sticks and shot them with rubber bullets. They do not need rubber bullets just loads guns that fire nothing people will still flee. And they do not give any one any place to go and it seems like the beat up more media people and people who had a right and permit to protest (the homeless one) then they where the bad people!
I was pulled over by the cops a couple years ago, and the cop stayed in her car until 2 others came. Then she came with her hand on her gun and approach the car and questioned us, by shouting at us and pointing her flashlight in our eyes (we did not get a ticket mainly a we did nothing wrong but when you are a car full of teens they are sure you are. In the UK you meet the police man at your rear wheel so they do not look down on you and you act like ladies/gentleman and it works great! You agree what you where doing was wrong and he/she tells you do not do it again, shake hands, and thank the police for all the do and you go on.
Police out here should do more work, I think the should be a taxi service for the old. They do not seem to do much anyway, just sit on the corner and pull people over. Why can they not drop an old lady of at the store so she does not have to worry about shopping. I am sure they will pull over just as many people. I think police in the US think they have too much power and are not diplomatic about things as much as they should!

Another story to share with you. I had a cop in my store the other day, I really nice we where talking planes and he wants to take flying lessone, but I could not take my eye off his gun and his right hand. I was honestly scared!

There are some nice police out here I am sure but I have yet to find one!
Iain

Adam84

Thu Sep 14, 2000 9:18 pm

Yeah some police are nice but some are just wayyy too power hungry (especially in the rich areas of California). About a month ago I saw this thing on TV about some protests in either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, well anyhow some guy came and sprayed pepper spray in this cops car, well the cop jumped out and beat up everyone that was around and reached for his gun, well I knew that someone would have got shot if those people didnt jump in, and it makes me sick cause If someone did get shot the cop would probably say "well it was an accident" and he would get let off. Also when I was in California staying with some friends, me and my friend went up to 7-11 to get some slurpys and some food, well on the way home we got pulled over cause the cops noticed we my friend didnt have his seatbelt on, we got pulled over, and we were asked if the car was stolen, we were asked if we were "tripping", "high" and everything else, and the cop sat there and harrassed us for about 2 hours over a seatbelt. The cop really thought I was on drugs (I dont touch drugs and I was really offended), so I said "I will come down to your station and piss in a cup if you will leave me alone" and his response "well, that wont be neccessary because I know it will turn up positive" I was about to spit in his face I was so mad. Anyhow, One reccommendation, if you are under the age of 21, follow every single traffic law when you are driving around in Pleasanton, CA, the cops there are dicks.

Matt D

Adam84

Thu Sep 14, 2000 11:15 pm

So what was the outcome of that traffic stop?

Ilyushin96M

Fri Sep 15, 2000 12:09 am

I've had mixed experience with police officers the few times I've been pulled over. In Texas, Wisconsin and Arizona, they've been friendly and courteous, non-threatening and worthy of respect. In California, with the exception of one, they've been arrogant pricks - rude, pompous and self-righteous. Overall, I have a healthy respect for the law enforcement, but I think for the most part, people don't notice the ones who are polite and professional as much as they do the few (considering the number of officers on duty at any given time) who are jerks.

I know a couple of guys who have indicated they want to become police officers. One of them, I think, would be an excellent candidate - he has a strong character, is very laid back, self-confident and is someone I trust and respect as a person. The other is a coward, self-righteous and arrogant. I can easily see the former becoming a great cop; the latter, I am sure, would use his position and authority in detrimental ways because he has something to prove, and I hope he never advances very far.

It distresses me to see that police officers can pretty much get away with anything, because as authorities, they have too much power and the judicial system does not question their actions enough. When someone is attacked, beaten, or even killed, there has to be more to it than self-defence on the part of the police. And as Adam84 indicated, I think the police use their power to harrass people. I've had it happen to me (when I was 19, as a matter of fact), and it instilled me with a sense of dislike and disrespect for the police in my hometown.

If anything, the police should set examples for people everywhere by upholding the law with firmness and integrity, not abusing their power.

QF1

Aussiemite

Fri Sep 15, 2000 12:37 pm

I know that I may get shouted down by saying this, but in regard to the recent protests at the World Economic Forum, those protestors knew what was coming. In advertising their blockade, they called it "Seattle + Washington = Melbourne". If this isn't inciting violence, I don't know what is! On the first day, the Victoria Police let the protestors live up to their claims of having a "non-violent blockade". Well what a farce that was. They blocked many city streets completely unrelated to the WEF, impeeding many thousands of innocent workers from getting to their jobs. They vandalised cars of delegates, such as WA Premier Richard Court. Over the next two days, the police did nothing but ensure that everyone has the right to free speech, including the delegates. A blockade is illegal. It is illegal to forcibly prevent people from gathering, preventing people from their right to free speech. Everone of the Victoria Police that attended that event should be congragulated for the restraint that they showed in trying circumstances. It was a disgrace to see what some of the protesters dished out to the police. They threw bolts, screws, ball bearings, marbles (not only at police but at police horses so that they would slip over). One of the most disgraceful things I saw was protesters throwing fish hooks on fish lines into the police to attempt to "hook" on them. That is a disgrace and personally I see absolutely no justification in the needless violence shown by the protesters.

Aussiemite
Topic Author

RE: Aussiemite

Fri Sep 15, 2000 12:57 pm

I didn't hear anything about what you mentioned.. as I said before I don't agree with violence either from police or protesters.. However I do agree with the cause..

Adam84

Fri Sep 15, 2000 2:49 pm

Just a ticket for no seatbelt and a fix it ticket for a broken tail light.

L-188

Fri Sep 15, 2000 5:12 pm

One of my sister little friends got pulled over by a cop for having an open bottle and drinking it in her car.

Then she got chewed out because the cop found out that it wasn't a beer bottle that he had seen but a bottle of A&W.

QF1

Aussiemite

Fri Sep 15, 2000 9:44 pm

Just a question, are you livnig in Melbourne. If your not, I doubt that you would have got the media coverage of the event that we did. On our news programs, half was WEF, the other half was the Olympics. Some of the things they showed were absolutely disgusting. As far as police brutaility goes, those protesters got what was coming to them as far as i'm concerned. It was disgusting, un-Australian hooliganism.

Aussiemite
Topic Author

RE: Aussiemite

Sat Sep 16, 2000 12:36 am

Brisbane, the media did have a biased view, I watch SBS news (fuck the commercial stations) and I didnt see anything you mentioned.. however my statment of the cops claiming compo and world trade will lead to destruction of the unions and with it workers rights such as compensation are valid.. the police union in australia is one of the few remaining strong unions what cop would be without it.

Adam84

Thu Sep 21, 2000 5:17 am

Guess what you guys, I got pulled over today. It sucked soooo bad. They pulled me over cause my tags were expired, well they gave me a bunch of crap cause the car isnt in my name and I dont have Georgia plates (my mom gave it to me and she lives in minnesota). They were actually nice cops though.