Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

I Have A Problem With My IMac

Tue Aug 29, 2000 7:59 pm

Hi!!! I have an iMac at home and it used to be that I could shut it down and it would shut down and just stay there. But all of a sudden, it would start back up whenever I shut it down. I've ended up having to shut off power to the computer, whenever I shut it down. What could be causing this problem?      

RE: I Have A Problem With My IMac

Tue Aug 29, 2000 8:54 pm

It's called being a Macintosh....strong minded, very independant, and extremely stuborn. The only reason I could think of what caused the problem is that you got angry with it, and as Mac's DO have a mind of THEIR own, they decided to be bitchy. I used to have Mac's...they were too slow and bitchy. Get Microsoft. Even though I hate Microsoft machines (I hate most computers), though are GENERALLY better than Mac's, in my opinion, of course.

Hope you fix the problemo...
Tommy  

killjoy

I Have A Problem With Every Mac I've Seen

Wed Aug 30, 2000 1:46 am

Thank you Apple for making such a dumbed-down idiot-friendly computer and making its users think that it's superior*. (Don't misunderstand me, EK, I'm not directing this towards you. The following paragraph is intended as a reply to your post)

If this were a PC, it would be much easier to troubleshoot. The Apple philosphy is that the less the user knows (or can do) about the computer the better.

* 1. Have Mac-users *ever* even heard of pre-emptive multitasking?

2. Sticking to that stupid one mousebutton config even if right-click menus make everyone's life much easier.

3. Archaic UI (which they view as "superior")

4. etc. etc. etc.

MacOS X may fix the problems, but then again, that's just a port of a real OS. So what's the real achievement?

Don't even get me started on the hardware side.

Too bad about your problem, maybe this post can at least make your thread stay on the main page longer...

iflycoach

Wed Aug 30, 2000 4:08 am

Microsoft Better Than Mac HAHAHA!!!!! If You Wanted To Crash A Computer All You Need To Do Is Install Windows 98!!!!

And Now I'm Not A MAC Lover Either I'm A Be OS & Linux Kind Of Guy!!!  

N312RC

Wed Aug 30, 2000 6:42 am

Does your IMAC get so hot you can cook a 3lb. new york strip on it?? That stupid "liquid cooling" system isnt worth it. Probably malfunctioning because of excessive heat!

N312RC
Remember Herman?

ctbarnes

Wed Aug 30, 2000 7:05 am

More likely it's a bug in the operating system. Contact Apple and see if they have a fix. I had the same thing happen on my Windows PC every time I installed a piece of software. I have to download the same patch each time or else it shut down and it boots up again.

Charles

Aussiemite

Well Der

Wed Aug 30, 2000 9:46 am

Mac hey, I think thats your problem

Wed Aug 30, 2000 12:22 pm

Haha,who asked you to buy a iMac? Was it cheap in the Middle East?Windows is way,way better than Apple. Apples always overheat.Liquid systems won't cool the computer that much.

Also,iMacs are not easily compatible.I have a friend who uses an iMac and our school uses Windows.So everytime there is a project to be done on the school computer, she does not finish and has to bring a diskette home.Insert it into the Mac, what happens? KABOOM, the system goes bust.Now she is going for a Office 2000 Mac version.

Also,it is not very good to konw too little of your Mac.I have had problems shutting down macs and I know it! I just turn the power off and the thing crashes! and no scandisk! Unlike Windows,which has a Scandisk utility.

Gundu

Aussiemite

Gundu

Wed Aug 30, 2000 12:59 pm

"Windows is way,way better than Apple" Gundu

Windows is software
Apple is hardware

besides that Windows is a dodgy pile of goat turd

Samurai 777

Wed Aug 30, 2000 1:52 pm

Hm. That's weird. I've kind of heard of this problem before on Macs. Frankly, I'm no longer Mac-crazy. I had a Mac LC II up until January '98 and it was a dinosaur of a computer! Although my mom had a much newer Power Mac until last year, it was also a bit weird - it kept crashing on her and ruining her attempts at schoolwork (she was a special-needs teacher) so much that she chose to do most of her computer work at the school rather than at home.

Back to the "dino-puter" I had. I had to install the Netscape Internet by scratch! Mind you, this was a computer which was manufactured in 1991 and had only 500 MB of hard disk space (that was acheived only by sticking on an additional external hard drive). It kept crashing on me and showing pop-ups telling me that the damned thing didn't have any more memory to allow me to add anymore info into the hard drives, even though the motherboard was upgraded and that I knew of a guy who was an expert on Macs (he had about five working Macs of different makes in his house alone) and ran a computer store specializing in Macs. It's now sitting in a landfill somewhere in Northern Alberta.

Now I have an IBM PC which runs better than even any Mac I've used. 8 gigs and 64 MB RAM - not too shabby. I don't mind Microsoft, although it does get a little freaky at times. The PC has only crashed once, and that was when I went into a website by accident which kept spewing so many pop-ups that I couldn't even keep up trying to get rid of them all - and boom! Fortunately, not much stored info was lost. But practically ALL the software needed for mpgs, avis, etc was lost. The sound was totally lost, too. I've only rebuilt these capabilities within the last 5 months. But now it's purring and running smoothly(well, most of the time) like a cat. BTW, my mom's become a PC convert. She's gotten a PC of the exact same model as I have, as the local school board uses Windows all the time. The Power Mac? She gave it away to my sister.

Apple's fallen way behind in the usefulness of Macs. Those geeks at Apple pass them off as "superior", like Killjoy said. That's also probably why they tried using marketing gimmicks like coming up with iMacs in different colors and translucent exteriors. Macs do indeed get pretty hot when running and that causes problems in running the software needed - that might be one reason why the one I had kept crashing on me. Windows is generally better than Mac OS in all respects, and can be used most computers built today. However, Linux is becoming increasingly popular and quite a few people whom I know work with Linux say they like it.

killjoy

Iflycoach

Thu Aug 31, 2000 2:03 am

I won't start arguing over whether Windows is better than Linux & BeOS, since no-one can ever seem to agree on that subject.

*However*, I will dispute your opinion that Apple is better than Microsoft.

I'll discuss WinNT, but most apply to 98 too.

Here are my main reasons:

1. Application crashes. What do I do?

MacOS: Press reset (on-screen) only to find that it doesn't work. Reboot it (hardware) and hopelessly search for a real error msg somewhere.
Win2k: Check the event log and troubleshoot the problem since Win2k most probably prevented it from taking the whole system down. If it didn't, I'll have to reboot and check the dump file. By now, the admin is probably alerted too (if you have/need one that is   ).

2. Need to do something that's faster in a console.

MacOS: We don't need a console! We have pretty colors! (OK, so third party consoles are available, but that's not really the same thing)

3. I'm scanning something and decide to cancel it.

MacOS: Press cancel. Press cancel. Press cancel. wait wait wait wait. Scanning is finished, engine passes control to the dialog box, which notices that the cancel-button was pressed.
Win2K: Press cancel. Done. Win2k enforces good multitasking etiquette. (Pre-emptive!!!)

4. Need a quick way to perform a command

MacOS: Use a keyboard shortcut
Win2k: Use a keyboard shortcut, OR use a rightclick menu (most of the time faster).

5. Need to switch between apps

MacOS: select the app from a drop-down menu. Select the proper window from the app's own drop down menu.
Win2k: Press a single button on the taskbar

6. Need to maximize a window

MacOS: drag the window to the top left corner. Stretch it to the bottom right corner.
Win2k: Press Maximize

H/W

1. Need a new vidcard

Macintosh: Buy ATI ATI ATI ATI!!! Oh yeah, we have this thing called 3dfx too, but it's not properly supported or ATI!

PC: Yeah, they're over at shelves 5-13.

2. Need a new soundcard.

See 1, change names of corporations.

3. Buy any piece of hardware

See 2

4. Get a new processor

Macintosh: We can't keep up to Intel, but we'll claim that our processors are twice faster at the same clock speed and you'll believe us damnit! We have a heavily Mac-optimized version of Photoshop running way faster than any Celeron can!

PC: Will that be Intel, AMD, Cyrix, or maybe you'd like a...

My points:

The Apple platform is way inferior to Intel x86 because of the limited availability of hardware and inability to stay fast.

MacOS is most certainly worse than Windows 2000 (even 98, crash-prone as it is, is still better than anything Apple has to offer) because of an archaic UI and even more archaic memory handling/multitasking.

And yes, MacOS X may fix most of these problems, but like I already mentioned, what's the achievement in porting a real OS to your platform? And even so, we'll still have the hardware issues and the everlasting "Who cares if advanced users want these features, the idiots don't so no-one will!!!" attitude making a total mess of things.