Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dazed767
Topic Author

95-97 Camaro/Z28---Good Car?

Thu Apr 27, 2000 3:16 am

Well to get the new forum crankin, let's talk about cars. I'm thinking about buying a Camaro (95-97) possibly a Z28. I found a 96 with 60k miles and it was a Z28, and it was only $9,998. Is this a good car in your opinion/experience? Is there any other sports car in the year/price range that you think is better? Thanks.

Justin

NKP S2

RE: 95-97 Camaro/Z28---Good Car?

Sun Apr 30, 2000 12:49 am

None other that provides a combination of acceleration,handling and braking for the price. Enough low end torque to topple a building. A much more solid feeling machine than the 3rd gen. Get the 6 speed manual--the auto trans takes half the fun out of it. Very responsive to modifications,though the tight packaging of the small block make some tasks a challenge. The exhaust note will make you want to leave the stereo off and leave the windows down.

AA737-823

Thu May 04, 2000 12:29 am

I am a Ford man, but I will not tell you to buy a Mustang. Ford has never built a Mustang worth owning- trust me, I've had two of them. Camaro's on the other hand, are also plastic junk. They are fast, and I love to drive them. Even the six cylinders are fun. But they are built so cheap and fall apart so quick. My neighbour had one, and her engine virtually ate itself. My coworker has had two. She had to replace the first one after two weeks of driving.
Don't get me wrong, the Camaro/Firebird is a terrific looking car, and a terrific driving car. But it won't hold up to the kind of driving I would want to do with it.
R

NKP S2

Thu May 04, 2000 12:32 pm

What are you talking about? EFI V8 Mustangs are great cars mechanically,and VERY receptive to modificatons. Bought two brand new ones (85,89) and ran them to over 130,000 miles,and drag raced them a dozen times a year at the track. No repairs. Just maintainance,and a clutch (drag racing you know). 4th gen Camaro's are nice and tight. I race my 94 Z28 when I can,and have massaged it to over 400 dyno proven horsepower--still going strong,though I had to replace the rear brake rotors that I warped during an autocross. I'm hard on my vehicles,but I take very good care of them. The 4 and 6 cylinder models of both cars tend to be the least good mechanically,but not in all cases,and it's a relative term anyhow.

BigO

Fri May 05, 2000 1:54 pm

I own a '97 Firebird Trans Am. It is AWESOME! As close as I'll ever get to piloting a plane. Very fast. I would have rather owned a 6 speed, but I got a good deal on this one, it's automatic. The cool thing about it is that it has some kind of traction control on the transmission. If I floor it it won't break loose, it sticks and takes off like a jet. I can beat anything with a stickshift just because of the sole fact that when you dump the clutch you lay down a lot of rubber before it catches on.
I've had this car for about 8 months. Now I live much closer to work, only 1.4 miles and I never get on the freeway unless I go somewhere else, so I'm looking to sell it. It's a lot more car than I need and too expensive to keep paying for it and for the insurance. I am having trouble finding a buyer though, I have a feeling TA's aren't very popular with the crowd. I think more people would rather own a Z-28 than a Trans Am.

FastGlass

Sat May 06, 2000 9:38 am

I have a '96 SS, and it is my first Camaro - after a string on four Trans Ams. Before this car I had a Buick Grand National that could burn rubber for a quarter-mile, including the second-third gear shift. I always sais that I wouldn't dump the GN until I found something quicker (can't afford a new Corvette). Well, the Camaro is it's equal!

Sounds like a good price for the one you are looking at. It's always fun at a red light next to "shave-head" in an Accura Integra with a four-cylinder buzzer engine. The Camaro exhaust is even loud enough to drown-out the awful music pumping from their stereo...

turbulence

Sat May 06, 2000 11:41 pm

GET IT!!!
But make sure it is manual. This is the point where I do not agree with BigO.: as he says, manual has more fun, but the traction control acts on the injection in order not to “burn” any rubber, by lowering the power. But lowering the power decreases the acceleration. And it is the same if it is automatic. The only problem is that the power delivered to the ground through automatic transmission is always less. You can override the traction control (in european cars, at least), and get better accelerations with manual transmission. Believe me: I'm having my 4th manual car and I have NEVER burnt any rubber (unless I wanted), and I have always beaten others (sometimes even slightly more powerful) in acceleration.

Best turbulences