Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

administrator
Topic Author

New Discussion Forum!

Wed Apr 26, 2000 10:45 pm

This is the new discussion forum for topics not related to aviation. It can be anything really, reflections on why you think Microsoft is a cool company to why you'll never buy a Nissan.

This is also the place for suggestions, comments and constructive criticism related to any part of Airliners.net. Do note however that we have a special forum for photography related discussions.

Johan

Pilot1113

Suggestion

Thu Apr 27, 2000 5:56 am

Johan--

Why don't you see if there's a way to put "experienced forum" user next to people's names if they're an experienced forum user? I've seen this used on many other forums. It shows at a quick glance who's here to stay and who's just passing though.

Thanks again for all your work!

- Neil Harrison

administrator
Topic Author

RE: New Discussion Forum!

Thu Apr 27, 2000 10:58 am

A good idea Neil and something I have been meaning to implement. The problem is, a connection to the user database have to be made for every post, getting the registration date and number of posts for a particular user. That would create quite a load on the server hardware which unfortunately is having a pretty hard time as it is.

It will however be added as soon as I figure out how to do it more efficiently or when I manage to get my hands on some faster hardware.

Thanks for your suggestion,
Johan

Rotate777

Thu Apr 27, 2000 3:43 pm

Great thinking Neil! That's a great idea!

Thanks for the two new forums Johan! Keep up the excellent work with this site.

Wilsam

Pilot1113

Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:12 am

Administrator wrote:
-------------------------------
A good idea Neil and something I have been meaning to implement. The problem is, a connection to the user database have to be made for every post, getting the registration date and number of posts for a particular user. That would create quite a load on the server hardware which unfortunately is having a pretty hard time as it is.

It will however be added as soon as I figure out how to do it more efficiently or when I manage to get my hands on some faster hardware.

Thanks for your suggestion,
Johan
--------------------------------

Thanks for getting back to me, Johan!  

Why don't you talk with the sysop over at 'The Professional Pilots Rumor Mill'? I think he does it...

What kind of system are you running anyhow?

- Neil Harrison

Fri Apr 28, 2000 10:26 pm

Johan-
Again, great improvements! One thing, though, I don't like. While it's nice to have multiple sources in the aviation news section, you often see multiple versions of the same story that you have to wade through. As a result, I have found that I just don't bother and don't go into the aviation news section. I know that this says alot about me being lazy, but that's just the way it is. Oh yeah, absolutely keep the photo acceptance criteria high. I've never submitted, but my wife has, and even though most were rejections, it will improve her work. For me, who just likes to look at them, I prefer quality over quantity every time.

Westjet_737

Tue May 02, 2000 7:19 am

Thanks!!! The new fourm is great. The tech-ops fourm is also great. But as many other users said, what is the status on the plane-info page. I would really like to know what is the status on that page and how long do you think until ti will be completed.

Westjet_737

DeltaRNOmd-80

Tue May 02, 2000 11:33 am

On the Photo Criteria issue by jtb106, I think its a good idea but if you dont have a big quantity of a particular airline, airplane or airport, than accept any photos you get. Like with me, my home airport is RNO and there is not many pics of planes at RNO or pictures of the airport. Keep up the GREAT work Johan, not many realize the tough job it is to keep up a high quality site such as Airliners.net!