SheikhDjibouti
Topic Author

RAF Tornado countdown; the end is near

Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:25 am

The eight Tornados that were stationed at RAF Akrotiri returned to RAF Marham on 4 and 5 February 2019.

All remaining operational Tornados are now at RAF Marham, but with their final retirement due in March, the skies over Norfolk are already quieter.
I cannot remember the last time I saw one.

There is talk of a farewell flypast, taking in some of the places that were significant with regards the Tornado.
I don't have details but I'm guessing Warton, Lossiemouth, and Coningsby.

Does anybody have a detailed schedule?

The way things are going, we will all wake up one day and suddenly find they are gone.... :cry:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

bennett123

Re: RAF Tornado countdown; the end is near

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:03 am

I did see a pair flying past Kemble last month.

They were in close formation with undercarriage down.

This could be related.

steman

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:47 am

So, the RAF is the first operator of the Tornado to get rid of it (apart from the German Naval Aviation)? Who will follow? I guess the Italian Air Force will be next, then the Saudi Air Force and finally the Luftwaffe.

Phosphorus

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:16 pm

How are these things managed, post-retirement? The frames and spares stock are sent to be ground into scrap metal? Or fellow operator are allowed to buy those, to support their fleets?
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Dutchy

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
How are these things managed, post-retirement? The frames and spares stock are sent to be ground into scrap metal? Or fellow operator are allowed to buy those, to support their fleets?

Why not send those spares to operators. I remember that the UK Harrier fleet was sold to the US marine corps to support their fleet.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 pm

I remember when the Tornado was called, during design, the MRCA, multi role combat aircraft or as some wags called “much refurbish Canberra again”.

GF

GDB

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:52 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I remember when the Tornado was called, during design, the MRCA, multi role combat aircraft or as some wags called “much refurbish Canberra again”.

GF

Indeed, which reflected the long line of cancelled UK projects, not least in replacing the Canberra.
But the wags were missing the point, the MRCA was a result of lessons learned from those cancelled projects, spread the work across international partners, which spreads the costs, which also makes cancellation much less likely.
Plus after all those cancelled projects it was the only way the UK Treasury were ever going to fund major combat aircraft programs.
Though none of this looked so certain back in the early/mid 70's, hence the joke about MRCA.

SheikhDjibouti
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:19 am

I am reliably informed that there will be NINE TORNADO a/c performing a flypast/short display at RAF Cranwell later today, followed by a similar flypast on their return to RAF Marham, circa 1515z.
Nothing to see here; move along please.