Max Q
Topic Author
Posts: 7058
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Passenger oxygen on military aircraft

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:42 am

On aircraft such as the C130 and C17 that
can carry personnel in their cargo compartments are there emergency oxygen masks installed for these passengers in the event of a cabin decompression ?


If so, where are these installed, if not how is this issue addressed?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.
 
Legs
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Passenger oxygen on military aircraft

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:57 am

The C-17 has oxygen masks that are very similar to airliner ones installed in the sidewall for the integral seating that pop out of little panels near your shoulder when you're sitting on the seats. They are deployed much like an airliners, triggered by high cabin altitude or selected to deploy manually.
The centreline seats have pop out masks that are attached to the aircraft O2 system by hoses on the roof of the plane, that operate just like the sidewall. The palletised seats that can be loaded have chemical generators and mask sets for each seat.

I can't speak for the -130 though.
 
Max Q
Topic Author
Posts: 7058
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Passenger oxygen on military aircraft

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Legs wrote:
The C-17 has oxygen masks that are very similar to airliner ones installed in the sidewall for the integral seating that pop out of little panels near your shoulder when you're sitting on the seats. They are deployed much like an airliners, triggered by high cabin altitude or selected to deploy manually.
The centreline seats have pop out masks that are attached to the aircraft O2 system by hoses on the roof of the plane, that operate just like the sidewall. The palletised seats that can be loaded have chemical generators and mask sets for each seat.

I can't speak for the -130 though.



Thanks for the very informative reply


The mask hoses for the center line seats
must be pretty long !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.
 
Buckeyetech
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 am

Re: Passenger oxygen on military aircraft

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Max Q wrote:
Legs wrote:
The C-17 has oxygen masks that are very similar to airliner ones installed in the sidewall for the integral seating that pop out of little panels near your shoulder when you're sitting on the seats. They are deployed much like an airliners, triggered by high cabin altitude or selected to deploy manually.
The centreline seats have pop out masks that are attached to the aircraft O2 system by hoses on the roof of the plane, that operate just like the sidewall. The palletised seats that can be loaded have chemical generators and mask sets for each seat.

I can't speak for the -130 though.



Thanks for the very informative reply


The mask hoses for the center line seats
must be pretty long !


The centerline seats are daisy-chained together by O2 hoses about 6” long, which connect to the aircraft’s LOX system by two hoses about 10’ long. This picture shows one of those in the stowed position in the ceiling.

https://goo.gl/images/VMaB41
B-52H, C-141C, C-5A, C-17A
 
Max Q
Topic Author
Posts: 7058
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Passenger oxygen on military aircraft

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:14 am

Buckeyetech wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Legs wrote:
The C-17 has oxygen masks that are very similar to airliner ones installed in the sidewall for the integral seating that pop out of little panels near your shoulder when you're sitting on the seats. They are deployed much like an airliners, triggered by high cabin altitude or selected to deploy manually.
The centreline seats have pop out masks that are attached to the aircraft O2 system by hoses on the roof of the plane, that operate just like the sidewall. The palletised seats that can be loaded have chemical generators and mask sets for each seat.

I can't speak for the -130 though.



Thanks for the very informative reply


The mask hoses for the center line seats
must be pretty long !


The centerline seats are daisy-chained together by O2 hoses about 6” long, which connect to the aircraft’s LOX system by two hoses about 10’ long. This picture shows one of those in the stowed position in the ceiling.

https://goo.gl/images/VMaB41




Thanks Legs and BK for the responses and great information
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: prebennorholm and 14 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos