Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

krisyyz
Topic Author

Hungarian Air Force Spending Spree

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 am

The Hungarian military, especially the Air Force has been on a massive shopping spree in the last few months. There is no doubt that the Hungarian Military’s equipment is in dire need of replacement, but for a small country, it’s quite impressive to see almost every single type of major equipment be replaced within one year. All of these procurements are under the ‘Zrinyi 2026’ plan, which aims to beef-up the Hungarian military.

2 A319’s, 3rd frame on order (AN26 replacement, for troop transport, emergency evacuation and medivac)

2 Dassault Falcon 7X (for VIP transport and general use)
https://airforcesmonthly.keypublishing. ... n-on-tour/

16 H225M with HForce weapons system (to replace Mi 17/8)
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... pters.html

20 H145M (to replace Mi17/8)

I believe 6 Mi-24s have undergone major upgrades in Russia, arrived back in Hungary in August. 12 are slated for the upgrades.
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... rn-hungary

The Government has also stated that 3 new cargo aircraft will be purchased soon, I’m guessing the C-295 will win that one, keeping with the Airbus trend.

While not aircraft, the Hungarian Air Force also signed an agreement with Airbus Defence for a new Surface-to-Air Missile Operations Center (SAMOC). The army ordered 44 Leopard 2 A7+ tanks and 24 PzH 2000 self-propelled howitzers.

Of course politics is has a role to play. Some suggest that Orban wants to appeal to Trump by increasing military spending. The acquisition of the used A319s were especially dramatic in the media, while the Government saying they are not for VIP use, Orban and government officials have been using them, and then they got the Falcon Xs, which are registered as civilian aircraft, the government said they will be re-registered to the Air Force once military equipment is installed.

KrisYYZ

bunumuring

Re: Hungarian Air Force Spending Spree

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:30 am

Hey KrisYYZ,
To appeal to / impress Trump even more than just simply increasing spending, shouldn't the Hungarians have ordered some American equipment? Maybe the 'cargo aircraft' could be C-130Js or are they too big?
I am not suggesting that the Hungarians SHOULD have ordered American equipment but it is all European as you state. I am not familiar with the circumstances of the procurement, just asking a naive question I guess.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Noray

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Maybe the 'cargo aircraft' could be C-130Js or are they too big?

Another factor is that the Germans are probably trying to integrate Hungary into the new multinational A400M unit in Lechfeld.

krisyyz
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:11 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey KrisYYZ,
To appeal to / impress Trump even more than just simply increasing spending, shouldn't the Hungarians have ordered some American equipment? Maybe the 'cargo aircraft' could be C-130Js or are they too big?
I am not suggesting that the Hungarians SHOULD have ordered American equipment but it is all European as you state. I am not familiar with the circumstances of the procurement, just asking a naive question I guess.
Cheers,
Bunumuring

Hello!

Yes, you're right, you have good point. I think they are trying to appease Trump by increasing military spending, and appease their European partners by ordering equipment from European companies. I'm also guessing the cost is a factor, I bet Airbus helicopters and used A319s are cheaper than the alternatives. Beefing up the military also ties into the nationalistic ideology of the current government. In the Hungarian media, retired military officers are saying they may have new equipment, but they won't have enough personal with the required training and experience to operate them.

Used C-130s may be a good option, but I think the J version may be too big.

Noray wrote:
Another factor is that the Germans are probably trying to integrate Hungary into the new multinational A400M unit in Lechfeld.

Perhaps, I didn't know about that. Hungary is the base for the NATO C-17s as well.

KrisYYZ