Revelation

Re: China Lands On Moon's Far Side.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:25 pm

parapente wrote:
Thx btw Revelation on you tube link on fusion work around the World as of now.Interesting watch.Wont be in my day sadly (65 yrs) but I so hope they can crack it as (obviously) it will totally change how the World progresses in the future. Here's hoping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1SJOPgewo was interesting too.

The good news is the high degree of confidence that fusion will eventually work.

The bad news is the time scale (~2050s at best) and the cost ( ITER will be > 20B EUR, not sure how much DEMO will be ).

It's hard to see how it ever will be affordable. How much can you expect that many superconducting magnets of that size to go down in price?

bikerthai wrote:
There are two historical examples that will guide us on what going to Mars/Moon may entail.

1) Will there be anything of monetary value we can get from there? If yes, then it will be like the colonization of North America or Australia. The distance will be long for the technology, and many will die. But as long as some company can make a profit, it will be done.

2) If there is no profit to be had, then it will be like Antartica. There will be a small present for research, but no one will live there permanently.

Of course one have to take in to account the difference in technical challenge and technical capabilities. But the presidence has already been established.

bt

That's a good analogy.

The thing is you do have to start by building the research station to see if it's ever going to become a viable colony.

As above, I'm a pessimist when it comes to Mars.

The difference to me between Mars and fusion is it's pretty clear to me why we'd keep trying to make fusion work.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

parapente

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Over here (UK) we have just had another cancellation of a new Nuclear power plant due to costs although the U.K. Gov' did everything they could to sweeten the deal.We have gone from 6 new planned plants to 1 right now.
The bald truth is they are simply too expensive to build to be competitive against wind power ( we got a lot of that particularly offshore).
A milestone was reached in the Netherlands last year when a winning company for a huge offshore farm asked for a zero ( costs for the difference) subsidies. It's got that efficient.
That's all fine until the wind stops blowing - which it does ( high pressure) in the winter from time to time.
But we have to have base load power so I guess it has to be gas sadly.

Back on topic!
Agree with the above Mars sentiment.Lets go for research purposes ( and Because we can).But that's it- unless it rains gold of course!

I have a technical meteorological question if someone has the answer.
In the YouTube vid' the speaker correctly pointed out that from radar work they think they have spotted a huge area of water ice just under the surface.
So was thinking.
It's agreed bu everybody that there was ( billions of years ag) huge oceans on Mars.Fine.Then the core cools it looses its magnetic shield oand the atmosphere 'blows' into space and then the seas ablate ( evaporate) away.
But
Surely before that second part happened the temperature on Mars ( no/ little atmosphere) would have had to drop like a stone -as it is now.
If true them most of the seas/oceans/water would have frozen first ( there little evaporation) and indeed get covered by the sands.
If so it's hardly a surprise that there is an ocean of ice just below the surface -no?
Either way finding that ( quantity of) ice clearly makes a difference to the project as a whole.

Tugger

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 am

The LRO spotted the Chang'e!

https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-moon-orb ... -a-crater/

Pretty cool.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin