johns624

Re: Russia accidentally leaks image of future high-speed helicopter

Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Do you actually think it was an "accident"? Russia seems to be having the habit of "accidentally" leaking all these new military projects. They seem to be good at developing stuff but it never makes it into high volume production. Last year, they announced a 10,000 ton nuclear powered destroyer, yet the largest naval ship they are currently building are <1000t corvettes because they don't even have the technology to build big gas turbines. That's what happens when you PO the Ukrainians.

ThePointblank

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:40 am

Well, the Russian paper and artwork industries are doing well these days with all of the new concepts the Russian military has...

Slug71

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:06 am

The Russians have a few beauties in Aviation. But sometimes they just come up with weird sh*t.

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:20 am

johns624 wrote:
Last year, they announced a 10,000 ton nuclear powered destroyer, yet the largest naval ship they are currently building are <1000t corvettes because they don't even have the technology to build big gas turbines. That's what happens when you PO the Ukrainians.

You don’t do a lot of reading do you? Under construction at the moment.

Project 20380/85 covettes 2,000 tons
Project 11356 Frigates 3,600 tons
Project 22350 Frigates 4,500 tons

The marine gas turbine issue has been solved. Russian turbines are being used in the newer 11356 and 22350 vessels.

If you can build a turbine for a plane you can modify it for marine use. RR MT30 = RR Trent 800 or GE LM2500 = CF6.

VSMUT

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:30 am

Clearly Kamov inspired. Turbofan powered too, must be really fast. Given Russian attack helicopter doctrine, I wonder if this will also partially replace the Su-25.

bunumuring

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Hey guys,
I think that the design looks good and agree with VSMUT that it appears to have Kamov design inspiration.
I'm curious to find out more about it...
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

johns624

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Project 20380/85 covettes 2,000 tons
Project 11356 Frigates 3,600 tons
Project 22350 Frigates 4,500 tons

The marine gas turbine issue has been solved. Russian turbines are being used in the newer 11356 and 22350 vessels.

If you can build a turbine for a plane you can modify it for marine use. RR MT30 = RR Trent 800 or GE LM2500 = CF6.
Istand corrected (sort of). The 11356 are being built for the Indian Navy, not the Russian. They've only built one 22350 so far, as far as I can see. Still not much from a country that wants to be a world military power.
BTW- How's the SU-57 and Armata tank coming along?

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:49 pm

There are 6 11356’s being built for the Russian Navy, 3 are in service, 3 are under construction. The Indian ships are the Talwar Class, they have 6 in service, there was a deal signed for 4 more in 2016. Construction is to be split between Russia and India. There 2 22350’s launched and 4 more under construction.

VSMUT

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:18 pm

johns624 wrote:
BTW- How's the SU-57 and Armata tank coming along?

The Su-57 is still in testing. Initial order for production variants was placed this summer, and it was recently seen flightesting a new targeting pod.
The Armata is progressing too, although initial Russian plans proved overly ambitious. Interim plans involve upgrading and buying additional T-90Ms, for a total force of 1400. More recently, India has shown interest in buying 1700 T-14s.

johns624

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
There are 6 11356’s being built for the Russian Navy, 3 are in service, 3 are under construction. The Indian ships are the Talwar Class, they have 6 in service, there was a deal signed for 4 more in 2016. Construction is to be split between Russia and India. There 2 22350’s launched and 4 more under construction.
I'm seriously interested in your source. I don't see them listed on rusnavy.com or wiki (I know, not the best) and would like to keep abreast of naval matters.

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:05 pm

I know about the projects because of my job, the company I work for was a supplier to the these projects. Our Russian partner company supplies an annual list of what’s being built in the Russian shipyards. Prior to sanctions I sold equipment to nearly every ship built in Russia since 2007.

Its all changed now, because of US sanctions most of my projects have now gone to a Korean company who isn’t concerned about US them.

angad84

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:24 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

A wee clarification on the 11356s – India has NOT signed the contract yet. Both governments have (ostensibly) hashed out the nitty-gritties, but no formal contract has been signed yet, and is not likely to for a while yet, to avoid triggering CAATSA sanctions. Those four boats were supposed to be split between Yantar Shipyard in K'grad and Goa shipyard in India (2 each), with India procuring the Ukrainian powerplants separately, for obvious reasons.

Closer to the topic – a lot of the non-strategic mil development news out of Russia these days is for posturing – directed either at the world or for domestic consumption as required. I go there about once or twice a year, and it's plain to see that on the whole they're hurting under sanctions, and military industry is feeling it particularly hard.

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:35 pm

I don’t think the Indians are overly concerned about US sanctions, they just ordered 5 S400 systems and signed a contract for Iranian oil.

angad84

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I don’t think the Indians are overly concerned about US sanctions, they just ordered 5 S400 systems and signed a contract for Iranian oil.

They are, and that's why they cannot overtly get closer to Russia or Iran.

The CAATSA waivers baked into the NDAA need the US admin to certify that new non-traditional US partners like India, Indonesia, Vietnam etc are doing enough to demonstrate a disengagement from traditional suppliers like Russia and Iran, not stop all dealings immediately. The easiest way to do that is to show a year-on-year decline in imports, which is why Iranian oil imports and Russian military imports will continue but not cross a certain dollar figure. There would be no faster way to alienate countries the USA has spent time and treasure trying to get closer to in the last few decades. These are all important players in the Indo-Pacific and have too many eggs in the Russia or Iranian (or both) baskets to give them up at the drop of a hat. The US, even under Trump, understands this.

Put simple, at the moment, Iranian oil and the S-400 are too important for India to give up. On the other hand, SSN leases, frigates, helicopters and assault rifles can wait a while longer, or be spread out over the coming years, depending on CAATSA severity and waivers going forward.

Aesma

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 pm

The shape of that thing doesn't scream high speed to me !

angad84 : looking into Kiwirob's claim I found Putin saying the new, not even operational yet, gas turbines Russia has developed in a couple of years to replace the Ukrainian ones are the best of the best, more powerful more fuel efficient etc.

Keep in mind Russia has not proven they can make competitive aircraft engines...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Aesma wrote:
The shape of that thing doesn't scream high speed to me !

angad84 : looking into Kiwirob's claim I found Putin saying the new, not even operational yet, gas turbines Russia has developed in a couple of years to replace the Ukrainian ones are the best of the best, more powerful more fuel efficient etc.

Keep in mind Russia has not proven they can make competitive aircraft engines...

I wouldn’t say they developed new turbines, they marinised existing aero turbines.

keesje

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:46 am

I'm trying to get support for a dedicated helicopter platform. If we concentrate helicopter VTOL topic here we can have more indept discussions and attract more knowledgeable participants. Helicopters / VTOL is IMO an exciting, dynamic and broad segment of aviation that deserves this, more than e.g. a new "political forum" (?!) that's now being worked on as we speak.

Also interesting new designs like this new Kamov design could be discussed and concentrated here and we could keep track over longer periods. .

:arrow: Please take a few second to post a few words of support for this additional forum. Thnx!

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20823963#p20823963
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 am

Reminds me of the Sikorsky-Boeing entry for the US Army future airlift programme.