Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Spacepope
Topic Author

2 Antonovs collide in Sudan

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:50 pm

A Sudanese AF AN-32 rear-ends another Sudanese AF AN-26 on the runway in Khartoum. Video and pics via twitter: Cockpit severed on AN-32, tail chopped off AN-26.

Video here: https://twitter.com/vokinburt_avia/stat ... 0772935680

Pics of aftermath: https://twitter.com/jimmy_banna/status/ ... 3047239680

GalaxyFlyer

Re: 2 Antonovs collide in Sudan

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:12 pm

What were they doing?

GF

wingman

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:30 pm

It looks to me like they tried to land on the same runway at the same time. Isn't there a law of physics about that? I'll have to go look up Sudanese court martialing practices.

Q

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:00 am

It's really stupid pilots and ATC

Q

ienjoylemons

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:27 am

Let's wait until the ATC is released eh? Still, looks like a balls up from at least one party.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Having personal experience with HSSS ATC I can personally say that they have a nack for creating problems out of the blue...it's like they sit in the tower and make bets how they can create a clusterfuck out of nowhere...

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What were they doing?

GF

The idiots were landing in formation on different aircraft types...

meecrob

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:19 pm

Q wrote:

Q

Case closed, everyone involved is just too inept at their jobs.

Seriously, man. Look at the rate of planes rear ending eachother on the runway since planes were literally invented...Its not a common occurrence. This leads me to believe there is something that happened that we cannot see or hear in the video. I'm sure at least one person made at least one bad decision somewhere in the chain of events...but why did they make it? Was it poor skills? Maybe. My gut tells me it was a chain of events that were not routine and led them to make a really basic error while focusing on something they considered more important. You could be right and someone was just THAT bad at their job, but I think this might be something discussed for flight crews and ATC when the details come out...if they come out.

meecrob

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:21 pm

meecrob wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

Seriously, man. Look at the rate of planes rear ending eachother on the runway since planes were literally invented...Its not a common occurrence. This leads me to believe there is something that happened that we cannot see or hear in the video. I'm sure at least one person made at least one bad decision somewhere in the chain of events...but why did they make it? Was it poor skills? Maybe. My gut tells me it was a chain of events that were not routine and led them to make a really basic error while focusing on something they considered more important. You could be right and someone was just THAT bad at their job, but I think this might be something discussed for flight crews and ATC when the details come out...if they come out.

Edit: If what tu204 says is accurate...I'll gladly eat every word I just said.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:40 am

meecrob wrote:
meecrob wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

Edit: If what tu204 says is accurate...I'll gladly eat every word I just said.

Unfortunately I can't post in a pubkic forum my conversation, but I got my information first hand from someone in tge Sudanese Air Force who was also there at that time (but not onboard one of those two aircraft).

However why the hell someone would think that fornation landing of transport aircraft are a good idea is beyond me.
On the other hand - it's Sudan. I cease to be amazed by the things that can happen there that are just mindbogling.

7BOEING7

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 am

tu204 wrote:

However why the hell someone would think that fornation landing of transport aircraft are a good idea is beyond me.

What about formation takeoff's?

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:58 am

7BOEING7 wrote:
tu204 wrote:

What about formation takeoff's?

On transport aircraft - not a good (or usefull) idea.

blandy62

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 am

there is an other video here

https://youtu.be/L86h3gi0-iw

looks like they were landing one after the other but thing went really wrong for the second one

wingman

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:22 pm

I hadn't thought of that explanation, the second pilot not having a pilot's license..he thinks he's in a bouncy castle.

meecrob

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Wow, it looks like the plane itself was trying to go around and the pilot wouldn't let it!

7BOEING7

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Or there was a battle in the cockpit. CP "I can do this", P "No you can't we're going around", CP "No I got this", P "No you don't we're going around", CP (just before the crash) "OK you got it".