Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neomax
Topic Author

Unconfirmed: Yemeni forces attack AUH with three drone strikes

Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:40 pm

UAE officials deny this but some form of event definitely did take place. Apparently no damage or casualties fortunately.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/07/ ... 03669.html

PerfectGriffin

Re: Unconfirmed: Yemeni forces attack AUH with three drone strikes

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Yikes. This might scare some passengers flying to/through AUH. If Dubai was targeted that would be a disaster.

bikerthai

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 pm

A Houthi military source said the armed drone flew 1,500km before it reached Abu Dhabi's airport.

Anything that has enough fuel to travel 1,500km would be big enough to be picked up by Saudi AWACS.

If it was an attack, it was probably staged locally.

bt

ITMercure

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:53 pm

That yemeni war is also a communication war. I remain very cautious regarding such news...

Qatara340

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:45 am

Abu Dhabi Airport twitter confirmed an incident has occurred; however the UAE government denied the drone attack. Flights were delayed upon landing though, Im not sure if thats normal or as a precautionary measure.

VSMUT

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:48 am

bikerthai wrote:
A Houthi military source said the armed drone flew 1,500km before it reached Abu Dhabi's airport.

Anything that has enough fuel to travel 1,500km would be big enough to be picked up by Saudi AWACS.

If it was an attack, it was probably staged locally.

bt

There is plenty of mountainous terrain to mask large drones between Yemen and Oman, even assuming that the Saudis are competent. They would have to come out into the open around central Oman, but then the Saudis wouldn't have any reason to suspect contacts flying deep inside Oman. In North-Eastern Oman they would then be in mountainous terrain once again, coming out just some 50-60 kilometers from Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

TWA772LR

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:47 am

Was it the Yemeni rebels or Federal armed forces? I thought the UAE was with Saudi in the fight against the Houthis?

aviationaware

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:21 am

Do those people even have drones capable of doing this? I very much doubt that.

VSMUT

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:41 am

aviationaware wrote:
Do those people even have drones capable of doing this? I very much doubt that.

They could very well be capable of it. These "rebels" have proved themselves quite capable already. They have so far managed a quite successful ballistic missile bombardment of Saudi Arabia, using various SCUD type missiles and converted SA-2s. They successfully kicked the Saudis rear in battles time after time after time, at one point even pushing them back into Saudi Arabia. They are supported by Iran BTW.

They also launched a lot of cruise missiles at Saudi-led coalition naval vessels, with various degrees of success. The HSC Swift was a notable success in this regard:

It is worth noting that they also kicked Nassers butt, when he invaded Yemen from 62 to 70. They got some help from British and French ex-SF mercenaries, and Israeli air-dropped supplies. The mercenaries regarded them as pretty skilled soldiers, once they received the tools and some basic training. The legendary SAS action in Mirbat and the insurrection in Oman were also against Yemenites.

bikerthai

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:47 pm

VSMUT wrote:
In North-Eastern Oman they would then be in mountainous terrain once again, coming out just some 50-60 kilometers from Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

To follow your line of thinking, I would propose it would be more likely that they trucked the drone over the Omani Border, drove it to the mountains in northern Oman and then launch it from there . . .

The distances would then be more reasonable and the navigation would be less complicated, risk of reduction or flying into a mountain peak would be reduced.

bt

VSMUT

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:27 pm

bikerthai wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
In North-Eastern Oman they would then be in mountainous terrain once again, coming out just some 50-60 kilometers from Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

To follow your line of thinking, I would propose it would be more likely that they trucked the drone over the Omani Border, drove it to the mountains in northern Oman and then launch it from there . . .

The distances would then be more reasonable and the navigation would be less complicated, risk of reduction or flying into a mountain peak would be reduced.

bt

I would also agree that it is probably more likely that it was launched from up close. Could be from a pickup truck, could also be from a dhow. Could even have been driven through Saudi Arabia and launched i side the UAE.
Regardless, I am not surprised that the Saudi coalition proved completely inept at preventing it.