Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hmkane
Topic Author

Possible Images of Groom Lake/Area 51

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:41 am

I was flying from Las Vegas to Seattle on Tuesday and after departure from LAS we turned north over the Nevada deserts. I was checking flight radar and happened to know where Area 51/Groom Lake was on the map. I also noticed we weren’t too far. Using the shapes of closer dry lake beds I found what I thought to be Groom Lake, and sure enough there was an airfield in the southwestern corner. These are the images I took:
ImageImage
Can anyone confirm whether or not this is Groom Lake?

HAWKXP

Re: Possible Images of Groom Lake/Area 51

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:55 am

Interesting. A couple of weeks ago SFO-DEN, we flew through the restricted area. This according the flight map. Cloud cover so no views. I know exactly where the restricted area is, having spent decades avoiding it north or south.

hmkane
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:58 am

HAWKXP wrote:
Interesting. A couple of weeks ago SFO-DEN, we flew through the restricted area. This according the flight map. Cloud cover so no views. I know exactly where the restricted area is, having spent decades avoiding it north or south.

It’s a shame there was a cloud cover. That could have made for some very cool views. I believe we stayed west of the restricted zone during our flight.

Tugger

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:01 am

hmkane wrote:
Can anyone confirm whether or not this is Groom Lake?

Yup it sure is.

Tugg

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:06 am

It'd be interesting to do these photos with a top of the line camera and a very good lens. Not that you'd see anything much - I guess most of the interesting stuff is kept in hangers and only rolls out when ready to go and then clears out pretty quickly.

BravoOne

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Back in the late eighties I was flying trip from HNL/SAN/SLC and on Sunday mornings it was pretty common to be offered direct SLC by LA Center. This was handled by Nellis Radar at the time. We flew within easy sighting distance of the runways and hangars. When we queried Nellis Radar about the airport we were looking at, their typical replay was either, "you can see that?" or "turn left xx degrees." Either way is was kind of funny. More recently I have seen the airports show in a Jeppesen NDB revision, thus appearing on the ND on the flight deck. I fly weekly between LAS and SEA these days and have yet to see anything but there so many other interesting artifacts in the NV desert, who cares.

fsnuffer

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Back in '87 in nav school we flew a route called Texas gator. Was Mather AFB->Randolph AFB->Mather AFB. It was a big dog leg route. Returning to Mather after takeoff from Randolph we would request direct Mather which would take us right over Area 51. It would take ATC about ten minutes to figure it out and we would call up and telling us to resume our originally planned route.

777PHX

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Groom Lake has been in the nav databases for years now as KXTA. "Homey Airport".

starkwind

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 pm

'Area 51' and Groom Lake are nicely visible on Google Earth...

37°15'34.65" N 115°47'56.19" W