Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Andre3K

Re: C-130 Crash Near SAV

Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Slightly off course but I am curious as to why there were 9 people on the plane since it was going to Arizona to be retired. I was under the impression that the standard number of crew on a C-130 was 5.

5 seem's high even for a legacy C-130 (but I have no idea). On a J model it's obviously less than 5.

Maybe pilots needed hours so they were going to switch midflight? SPACE A maybe? No idea.

prebennorholm

Sat May 12, 2018 12:14 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Slightly off course but I am curious as to why there were 9 people on the plane since it was going to Arizona to be retired. I was under the impression that the standard number of crew on a C-130 was 5.

When I was in the air force (which was not the US version), then any serviceman, private or general, might hitchhike on a C-47, C-54 or C-130 going in roughly the direction where he had private business during off duty time. Why not?

On a Friday afternoon, if a C-47 had to deliver a spare part to a base in the other end of the country, then it might be filled with privates going on weekend leave. Then they would use a C-47 which had wooden benches along the sides. It saved on train tickets.

zanl188

Sat May 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Andre3K wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

5 seem's high even for a legacy C-130 (but I have no idea). On a J model it's obviously less than 5.

Maybe pilots needed hours so they were going to switch midflight? SPACE A maybe? No idea.

Not unusual for a C-130, even a J model, to take extra crew and some maintenance guys along on a long trip. Especially an old Herk like this one.

Andre3K

Sat May 12, 2018 5:43 pm

zanl188 wrote:
Andre3K wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Not unusual for a C-130, even a J model, to take extra crew and some maintenance guys along on a long trip. Especially an old Herk like this one.

That much is obvious but he was referring to the amount of STANDARD crew, not deadheading or any other random reason for them being there.

zanl188

Sat May 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Andre3K wrote:

That much is obvious but he was referring to the amount of STANDARD crew, not deadheading or any other random reason for them being there.

I spent a decade in the C-130 world. There's no such thing as a "standard" crew in day to day operations.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Standard C-130 crew, all models prior to the J, was: aircraft commander, co-pilot, nav, engineer, loadmaster. Makes five by my count.

Gf

Aesma

Sat May 12, 2018 11:07 pm

When you lose an engine and there is no obstacle in front, shouldn't you level off right away ?

Andre3K

Sun May 13, 2018 3:20 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Standard C-130 crew, all models prior to the J, was: aircraft commander, co-pilot, nav, engineer, loadmaster. Makes five by my count.

Gf

Thank you, that's a solid answer right there.

Nomadd

Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 am

I was on a USCG Herc that flew quite a ways on 2 engines on the same wing in 82 from Elmendorf to McCord. The two failures were for unrelated reasons, no matter how unlikely it's suppose to be.
One of the passengers was a survivor of the USCG C-130 CFIT at Attu a few weeks earlier.

Moose135

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Maintenance Errors Preceded Horrific WC-130 Crash That Killed 9

The Air Force WC-130H aircraft veered to the left on the runway, almost rolling into the grass before the crew was able to get it airborne. The pilot quickly made the decision to return to the Georgia airfield they had just departed. The pilot directed the shutdown of engine one, operating on the remaining three. "Coming back," the pilot repeated five times over the next 30 seconds.

Investigators said that within those few seconds the pilot improperly applied nine more degrees with the left rudder, "which resulted in a subsequent skid below three-engine minimum controllable airspeed, a left-wing stall, and the [mishap aircraft's] departure from controlled flight." No other "meaningful direction" was given to the crew other than an order to "brace" just before impact. The plane was airborne for two minutes overall before it crashed down into Georgia State Highway 21 roughly 1.5 miles northeast of the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, killing all aboard.

While the primary cause of the accident was determined to be pilot error and not following proper emergency procedures, the aircraft had recurring issues with its Number 1 engine, according to the Aircraft Accident Investigation. When the aircraft was ferried to SAV almost a month before the mishap, the crew reported RPM fluctuations in Number 1. Maintenance checked the engine, and performed at least two engine runs, but were unable to recreate the problem. Compounding this, maintenance did not use a precision tachometer during the second engine run to accurately measure RPM, and thus did not see it was not generating expected full RPMs - although the actual readings were captured on the plane's DFDR.

cjg225

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:40 pm