Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

redcoat78
Topic Author

Fighters scrambled over airliner alarm

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi,
today I experienced for the first time in my life the effects of a sonic boom. Nothing to worry about but alarming at first glance, like two separate explosions that caused the glasses and doors vibrating hardly.
From Italian ANSA website
(ANSA) - Rome, March 22 - A loud bang heard by people in Lombardy and Valle d'Aosta on Thursday was the sonic boom of the supersonic flight of two Italian Air Force Eurofighter jets, military sources told ANSA. The fighters were scrambled to intercept a French airliner that had lost contact with air-traffic controllers, the sources said. The connection with the airliner was restored and the jets returned to base, the sources said.

The flight involved was AF671 from La Reunion to Paris Orly, intercepted when contact radio was missed on Italian airspace.

smithbs

Re: Fighters scrambled over airliner alarm

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:27 pm

It happens. I'm familiar with the 142d FW at PDX, flying F-15s. They scramble for the same things, like no radio contact for aircraft coming in from the west and northwest. Gives them something to do.

Another example:
https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article ... 890871.php

spahrtan

Re: Fighters scrambled over airliner alarm

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:25 am

smithbs wrote:
It happens. I'm familiar with the 142d FW at PDX, flying F-15s. They scramble for the same things, like no radio contact for aircraft coming in from the west and northwest. Gives them something to do.

Another example:
https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article ... 890871.php

I remember that happening. Worked night shift st the time, so was sleeping. First one went right over my house, woke right up. Second one blasted over, everything started shaking. Thought it was an earthquake or explosion. The feeling of the boom was incredible.