Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q

Re: Here’s the New “Bronco II” Precision Strike Aircraft for Counterinsurgency/Irregular Warfare missions

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 am

I like it

But it’s missing an engine

Balerit
Topic Author

Re: Here’s the New “Bronco II” Precision Strike Aircraft for Counterinsurgency/Irregular Warfare missions

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:33 am

Some more views during testing:

Ozair

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:35 am

Balerit wrote:
South African aircraft for US military.

I'm confused. The USAF has already essentially shortlisted two candidates for the OA-X competition and will be holding an additional demonstration period later this year. Not only that but the USAF essentially buried the OA-X for at least two years due to higher budgetary priorities.

Speaking at an event the Air Force Association’s Mitchell Institute hosted in Washington, D.C. on Feb. 16, 2018, Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson said that her service would include $2.4 billion for light attack planes into its five year strategy, but that any such spending wouldn’t begin until the 2020 fiscal cycle at the earliest.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18 ... -for-years

Perhaps the US will run a new competition once they have allocated funding and that will allow the Bronco II in but I am doubtful that funding will arrive. Out past 2023 there are significant other priorities over the OA-X that I believe will see it, and associated funding, delayed again and again.

In that context and with a congested light attack market what value is there is offering the Bronco II at this point?

WIederling

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 am

Max Q wrote:
I like it

2, some floats too :-)
url: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Bv138.jpg

Max Q

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:43 am

WIederling wrote:
Max Q wrote:
I like it

2, some floats too :-)
url: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Bv138.jpg

I like the way that looks, pity it was doing
adolf’s bidding !

I always liked the original Bronco, a unique aircraft

Balerit
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:46 am

Might be fake news. In the article I read, it said that they had already placed an order.

WIederling

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 am

Max Q wrote:
I like the way that looks, pity it was doing
adolf’s bidding !

nobody thought it to be beneath themselves to not use tech from that period.
Actually one seed of the later Airbus : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_Flugzeugbau
started as subsidiary of the local shipyard ( Blohm & Voss ).

superbizzy73

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 am

I still think an “NG” OV-10 Bronco is the perfect OA-X bird (sorry, I know that’s off-topic)...

zanl188

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Max Q wrote:
I like it

... and a troop/airdrop compartment.

This drove twin boom design of the OV-10.

RetiredWeasel

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Except for tandam vs side-by-side seating, this aircraft looks much more like an O-2 (minus an engine) than an OV-10. It should have been called the "Duck II".

neutrino

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
Except for tandam vs side-by-side seating, this aircraft looks much more like an O-2 (minus an engine) than an OV-10. It should have been called the "Duck II".

Ohtoo-Ductoo?