bikerthai

Re: A320 MPA as Orion / Atlantic Replacement, France , Germany

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Slug71 wrote:
I don't think there's much contention for the P-8A anyway TBH.

Nothing like some sable rattling by Putin to scare them into moving the timeline to the left and get a capable plane ASAP.
Although Germany and France don't have the capability gap like the British.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

keesje
Topic Author

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
keesje wrote:
Most likely it will become a derivative. Using high MTOW A320NEO components.

It the market is large enough a dedicated optimized platform might become feasible.

It seems the requirements changed a lot since the cold war.

Aircraft like the CN-235 / 295 MPA and ATR 42/72 MP could provide coastal coverage.

A bigger platform should probably be more capable than traditional ASW / patrol.

Or they could do that smart thing and buy the already existing built for purpose P1 and add local content.

In the past apparently the electronic suites where the ones moved around between different aircraft types. Probably various packages could be bought from the P1, P7, R1 Sentinel to reduce costs, risk and improve inter operability, some be developed new.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

strfyr51

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:17 pm

Ozair wrote:
Slug71 wrote:
Looks good keesje! I've wondered for some time why Airbus hasn't launched a MPA version of the A320/321 to compete with the P-8.

There have been many attempts over the years but nothing has come to fruition, as this article states the requirement has been around as far back as 2002, https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2014/01/future-maritime-patrol-part-3-dedicated-long-range-aircraft-p3-p1-atl-319/

The A319 MPA was offered to both Australia and India a number of years ago but lost to the P-8. The A320 has also been suggested as a AEW&C platform and Airbus made several models that were displayed at defence shows. Some info from a thread keesje created 9 years ago, viewtopic.php?t=1022815

My question? Does Airbus own the technology to develop an airplane to compete with the P-8A?? Did they to compete with the P-3C??
Just having an airframe is one thing,, but having the knowledge to match the capability is a totally different thing. They could partner with Lockheed or L3. but they'd be buying "off the shelf" Equipment designs that may or May NOT be owned by DARPA. thus unavailable to them. The British and the Germans though have built and operated their own unique designs and I'm sure could equip any Airbus airframe with modifications. How long did Boeing develop their airplane??
I remember Boeing having an ASW-707 parked on the Tarmac at NAS Moffett Field, CA while I served in the USN with VP-47 flying the P3-C. So??
They've been at this for a damn long time, as that was around 1975 that I first saw that airplane.

Ozair

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:02 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
My question? Does Airbus own the technology to develop an airplane to compete with the P-8A?? Did they to compete with the P-3C??
Just having an airframe is one thing,, but having the knowledge to match the capability is a totally different thing. They could partner with Lockheed or L3. but they'd be buying "off the shelf" Equipment designs that may or May NOT be owned by DARPA. thus unavailable to them. The British and the Germans though have built and operated their own unique designs and I'm sure could equip any Airbus airframe with modifications. How long did Boeing develop their airplane??
I remember Boeing having an ASW-707 parked on the Tarmac at NAS Moffett Field, CA while I served in the USN with VP-47 flying the P3-C. So??
They've been at this for a damn long time, as that was around 1975 that I first saw that airplane.

There is more than enough tech and knowledge available with European Defence Contractors to develop and build an ASW system for an A320 MPA with several existing systems already in service.

For example the below is used by the US, UK, France, Norway and Sweden.
https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/worldwid ... ne-systems

The Italians have received new ATR-72 that are designed for MPA operations but without ASW which could be added later is required.
https://www.defensenews.com/air/2016/12 ... -aircraft/

So plenty of tech and expertise in Europe and no reason they couldn’t develop a system as advanced as the P-8, the issue just comes down to cost and time. Given Germany and France have demonstrated with the A400M, Rafale, Eurofighter and now with the new European Fighter they are willing to spend vast amounts of cash to preserve domestic industries I don't see why a joint MPA will be any different.

bikerthai

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 pm

I suspect what they are doing is just set up one organization to act as an integrator. They would select the A320 as a baseline aircraft. All the Mission System suite will be competitively bid if competition exists. Otherwise they will probably purchase existing system from the various electronics company. If commonality with the P-8A systems is desired, I doubt that US company will be prevented from providing those systems for this project.

bt

CX747

Thu May 03, 2018 10:43 pm

If you want commonality, then you can buy the P-8.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... ubmarines/

In service, already developed, capable of accepting new hardware. That saves everyone a bundle of money.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Kiwirob

Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 am

CX747 wrote:
If you want commonality, then you can buy the P-8.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... ubmarines/

In service, already developed, capable of accepting new hardware. That saves everyone a bundle of money.

But it doesn't give jobs to Europeans and is based on an arguably inferior aircraft to the A320NEO.

bikerthai

Fri May 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
But it doesn't give jobs to Europeans and is based on an arguably inferior aircraft to the A320NEO.

If they want to create jobs, take the money you save from avoiding the development cost and feed it into some non-military related job creation program. It would probably benefit you more. But that is a political calculation that we are not qualified to make :white:

bt

barbulam1

Tue May 08, 2018 1:12 pm

There is also the SC-130J, Lockheed's newer entry into the MPA realm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjFijMCgh24

brindabella

Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
pygmalion wrote:
Not that it shouldn't be looked at. Airbus Military is a bit short on cash though with the latest A400M charges.

Isnt the A400M saga over? Atleast where Airbus financials are concerned?

Isnt the European taxpayer is footing the bill for that screwup?
t

Good question!

Anybody know what was actually agreed?

(I thought that the parties have mostly "agreed to agree").

:boggled:

cheers
Billy

brindabella

Tue May 08, 2018 2:11 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
ThePointblank wrote:
You can't have sensor operators staring at the same screen for hours on end and expect that sensor to be 'optimized' - mental and visual fatigue becomes a major factor. You need to provide enough coverage with the crew size to allow people to have breaks so they can mentally reset..

We live in the times of deep learning, it is unlikely that a human operator can beat such a system. Those beat us in everything else someone took the time to train them.

So at some point the operator will have his Attention guided and doesn´t have to focus all the time. There is still lots of potential in concentration aids....

Quality control system are there for quite a while now.

best regards

So interesting.

Please post a lot more.

cheers
Billy

brindabella

Tue May 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Ozair wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
It makes you wonder what is the point in an MPA doesn’t it.

I don’t think there is much doubt about the purpose of an MPA.
A maritime patrol aircraft (MPA), also known as a patrol aircraft, maritime reconnaissance aircraft, or by the older American term patrol bomber, is a fixed-wing aircraft designed to operate for long durations over water in maritime patrol roles — in particular anti-submarine warfare (ASW), anti-ship warfare (AShW), and search and rescue (SAR).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_patrol_aircraft

Within the search and rescue context we can’t expect the MPA to find something when, as it subsequently became clear, wasn’t actually there in the first place…
!

A mere detail.

No silly quibbles please!

;)

cheers
Billy

brindabella

Tue May 08, 2018 2:24 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Maybe the European governments should fund a new wing that can hold more fuel so that it can increase it's loiter time at an increased weight?

Fred

NOT OK.!

I've dredged thru 2 months of stuff to see if anyone answered this ...

Very naughty!

I can see what you are up to.

You know the expression .. "wash your mouth out with soap!"?

:o

cheers
Billy

flipdewaf

Tue May 08, 2018 3:04 pm

brindabella wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
Maybe the European governments should fund a new wing that can hold more fuel so that it can increase it's loiter time at an increased weight?

Fred

NOT OK.!

I've dredged thru 2 months of stuff to see if anyone answered this ...

Very naughty!

I can see what you are up to.

You know the expression .. "wash your mouth out with soap!"?

:o

cheers

Haha, it took so long for a bite I’d almost forgotten about it.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk