Electronpusher9
Topic Author

B-35 Flying Wing

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 am

All the information I can find says the last B-35 was scrapped in 1952 possibly 53. In 1962 my mother and I were standing outside our home near Ft. Hood Texas and the jet version flew low and close over us. About 200 yards north and at about 500 to 750 ft up. My question is how did we see this aircraft if the last one was supposedly destroyed ten years before. I thought NASA but cannot find any references to the plane. Does anyone have a explanation?

RetiredWeasel

Re: B-35 Flying Wing

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:55 am

A little research show indeed that the B-35 or the jet version YB-49 were not around in 1962. Indeed there were no flying wing designs that were flying in that year or none until B-2 development. So my guess, and excuse me if it's a little sarcastic, is 'swamp gas'. There was a lot of that flying around in the 60's. But somebody else please prove me wrong.

mmo

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:51 am

Perhaps it was a B-36 since they were based at Carswell which just also happened to be the assembly plant for the B-36. As RetiredWeasel wrote, the YB-49 was not around then.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

zeke

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 am

If it was around August 1962 my guess you saw a RAF Avro Vulcan that participated in Operation Skyshield III doing low level penetration testing.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Electronpusher9
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:03 pm

zeke wrote:
If it was around August 1962 my guess you saw a RAF Avro Vulcan that participated in Operation Skyshield III doing low level penetration testing.

Real interesting idea. Haven't thought of that. Looked up specs on the Vulcan. Has to large of eppenage for what we saw. To small also.

Electronpusher9
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks for the Info. Didn't really think about the B -36.
No props ,all jet. Left exhaust trail.
What I remember well is ,as it was moving away the small vertical stabilizers on the trailing edge.