Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Route66

Re: Israeli's Loose an F-16

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Israel and Russia are not enemies, they only have different interests in Syria. They have met recently and have an agreement not to shoot at each other. The Russians don't care if Israel attacks Iran and/or Hezbollah in Syria, they also don't have the same interests as Moscow in Syria and the Russians don't want their influence in Damascus. Israel is much less concerned about Damascus than they are about Tehran.

Putin was on the phone with Netanyahu immediately after they knocked out the air defense systems, Russia objects to Israel shooting at Syrian forces and Israel, in return, didn't expect Syria to rush to protect Hezbollah and Iran. Putin has gotten exactly what he wanted, a solid foot in ME war and politics. And headaches. I believe he will live to regret that decision.

Planeflyer

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:11 am

Fair enough but what happens when Asad allies itself with Iran?

tommy1808

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 am

Planeflyer wrote:
Fair enough but what happens when Asad allies itself with Iran?

Probably nothing considering that Israel was more than happy to sell weapons to Iran in the 80´s and the IAF happily took out Iraq's Osirak nuclear reactor for the Iranians, that failed doing so shortly before.

Iran is probably not a friend in the sense nation states have friends, but both are much to useful to each other to ever try anything serious.

best regards
Thomas

Planeflyer

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Sorry, I was not clear. What I was wondering is what will the Russians do, in the next war when Asad allies himself w Iran?

Scorpius

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:05 pm

If anyone is interested, Israeli F-16 was shot down most likely by a military missile complex "KUB" (SA-6 Gainful), but on the aircraft for at least another C-200 led to the fire.

Planeflyer

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:08 am

Sorry what is meant “ but on the aircraft for at least another c-200 led to the fire.”

SeJoWa

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:06 am

Planeflyer's question, seconded. I'd be glad to understand the somewhat cryptic message, and maybe where the information comes from?

VSMUT

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:06 am

SeJoWa wrote:

Planeflyer wrote:

I am pretty sure that the message he is trying to convey is that the F-16 was shot down by an SA-6, but at least one S-200 was also fired at it.

Planeflyer

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks

Ozair

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:38 pm

News reports out of Israel are indicated that the Israeli aircrew did not follow “standard procedure when under enemy fire” and that the crew chose to continue to mission and did not adequately defend themselves.

That phrase “standard procedure when under enemy fire” could be interpreted multiple ways such as
- the crew became target fixated,
- did not use standard techniques for evasion,
- proceeded into the target area despite being engaged by SAMs
- did not request assistance or support

Hopefully we get some more info on this to fill in a lot of the blanks.

Israel is now saying the plane that was shot down over Syria crashed partly because the pilot made a mistake

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-israe ... &IR=T&IR=T

Planeflyer

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 am

But weren’t the pilots trying to evade a large # of middles? Thought I read 20 somewhere.

Of course maybe they got into an area they should have avoided in the first place.

Ozair

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:08 am

Planeflyer wrote:
But weren’t the pilots trying to evade a large # of middles? Thought I read 20 somewhere.

Of course maybe they got into an area they should have avoided in the first place.

Entirely possible the aircraft still had to evade 20 missiles before it was struck but that the aircrew didn't activate a jammer or use correct evasion techniques or pressed to the target when they shouldn't have.