Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Caryjack
Topic Author

Gun casings onboard or falling away

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 am

Sovietjet posted this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3N40v413OA
Notice that at: 40 when the gun first fires the casings drop away. I've never seen this on close support aircraft such an F-4 nor C-47 (puff). Are casings kept aboard or jetsam on aircraft such as A-10s? I've never seen 7.62 or 20 mm casings (from aircraft) on the ground.
Thanks,
Cary

Ozair

Re: Gun casings onboard or falling away

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:05 am

Caryjack wrote:
Sovietjet posted this:
Notice that at: 40 when the gun first fires the casings drop away. I've never seen this on close support aircraft such an F-4 nor C-47 (puff). Are casings kept aboard or jetsam on aircraft such as A-10s? I've never seen 7.62 or 20 mm casings (from aircraft) on the ground.
Thanks,
Cary

Some infom here viewtopic.php?t=1010563 but it really depends on the respective aircraft.

The Su-25 below appears to be shedding casings

while you don't see the same thing from the A-10.

WIederling

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Ozair wrote:
Caryjack wrote:
Sovietjet posted this:
Thanks,
Cary

Some infom here viewtopic.php?t=1010563 but it really depends on the respective aircraft.

GAU-8 cycles the spent cartridges up front to not get them into the aft mounted engines:
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/everyt ... 796e1b5b81

The Su-25 has this twin barreled Gast type autocannon. Engine inlets are ahead and above the gun.
Nice to see the individual barrels firing "puffs of smoke".

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Actually, the GAU-8 “belt” holds the casings through out their lives, including reloading, I believe. I doubt the issue was FOD in the engines, just economy of savings the casings. Ejecting them out the bottom would have kept the clear of the engines, if discarding was done. The M-39 cannons on the F-100, A-4 threw the spent casings overboard.

GF

Ozair

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 pm

WIederling wrote:

GAU-8 cycles the spent cartridges up front to not get them into the aft mounted engines:

Yes, that info was contained in the previous airliners thread I quoted.

Caryjack
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:38 am

WIederling wrote:
Caryjack wrote:
Sovietjet posted this:
Thanks,
Cary

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/everyt ... 796e1b5b81

The Su-25 has this twin barreled Gast type autocannon. Engine inlets are ahead and above the gun.
Nice to see the individual barrels firing "puffs of smoke".[/quote]

This from your link:
The GAU-8 cannon itself weighs 620 pounds, while entire the A/A49E-6 Gun System weighs 4,029 pounds....

The A/A49E-6 Gun System doesn’t eject spent casings from the aircraft, instead they cycle back into the drum magazine and, later, the ground crew unloads them. This eliminates the danger of spent cases being sucked into engine intakes or damaging the airframe.

This from Ozair's post #2:

The A-10 also cycles it's casings back into the ammo drum.

Spacepope

15 years ago
The only post korean war fighter that I can think of that ejected spent casings were early F-4 Phantom IIs using gun pods.

Must be this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvObtxH2EY

Thanks,
Cary

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Caryjack wrote:
Are casings kept aboard or jetsam on aircraft such as A-10s? I've never seen 7.62 or 20 mm casings (from aircraft) on the ground.
Thanks,
Cary

From a different era;
My grandfather told me of the times he spent in the summer of 1940 swimming in his local water supply reservoir, whilst the Battle of Britain raged overhead, and spent bullet casings (&/or bullets themselves ?) landed plop-plop-plop in the water all around him.

As a teenager, floating on his back, with Spitfires and Me109s making lazy patterns in the sky above, no doubt his mind was on other things. :lol:
Phwoarr!

WKTaylor

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:34 pm

High speed jets with forward mounted gun(s) have to retain the 50-cal and cannon casings: potential for FOD damage to airframe, systems, antennas, engines, etc is too high... can't eject casings safely thru/away from the acft boundary layer. Also, to a lesser degree, the recycled cases help keep the CG more stable and allows for cases to be recycled... and it reduces hazards to friendly troops on the ground under to aircraft [especially from a shower of 50-cal, 20/25/30-mm cannon cases]. WW acft with props and wing mounted guns had luxury of jettisoning the machine-gun caliber cases out ports in the bottoms of the wings, adjacent to the guns... but god help you if these ports got closed-off by jammed cases. An yes, there was a rain of machine-gun caliber brass cases the 'little people on the ground' had to be wary of.

NOTE. My dad was strafing a 'Jap' airfield in the CBI when he vaguely remembers flying slightly under the path of a crossing P-40, also strafing the field. A few seconds later he felt/reported he was 'hit'. During the RTB battle damage inspection, no-one spotted any damage [holes/tears, leaks, etc] to his acft... so they left the inspection to the crew chief. The CC discovered nicks in the prop blades and spinner and [2] 50-Cal brass shell-cases logged in the fins of the forward mounted engine-coolant radiator [under the spinner]. Thankfully he didn't 'spring a leak' in the radiator core... a long-way-away from home airfield... I might not have 'been here as me'!

LMP737

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:29 am

Little side note. The 20mm ammunition used for the Phalanx CIWS is linked while the 20mm used on the F-18, F-16 and F-15 is not.

Aesma

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:49 pm

As WKTaylor mentioned it also helps with the CG.