keesje
Topic Author

Northrop Grumman B-21 Raider Production And Delivery Thread

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:34 pm

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

JetBuddy

Re: Northrop Grumman B-21 Raider Production And Delivery Thread

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:09 pm

I think it will be a while before we see the first one roll out.

Tugger

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:38 pm

keesje wrote:
Who will have the first photo?

Probably Google (Maps) but they also probably have a requirement to remove any "secret" items from such images prior to posting online in their Earth Maps.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

PaddyOMaddy

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 am

This may be a stupid question, but why is it not called the B-3?

Ozair

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 am

PaddyOMaddy wrote:

Just guessing but perhaps because the B-2 was an NG aircraft and the B-21 is also an NG aircraft. Also everything we know to date appears to suggest the B-21 will essentially be a new B-2, given it is subsonic, likely two bomb bays, likely four engines, reasonably similar flying wing profile.

I've also seen some comments suggesting the "21" stands for 21st century so perhaps the USAF PR folks had a hand in it.

TWA772LR

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:47 pm

I remember when Northrup Grumman had the floor open to the public for name suggestions. One of the top results was Nukey McMeltface.

Ozair wrote:

I've also seen some comments suggesting the "21" stands for 21st century so perhaps the USAF PR folks had a hand in it.

*puts on tinfoil hat* Similar to the Irkut MS-21... :scratchchin:
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and don't necessarily reflect those of my employer.

QuarkFly

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:50 pm

Ozair wrote:
...Also everything we know to date appears to suggest the B-21 will essentially be a new B-2, given it is subsonic, likely two bomb bays, likely four engines, reasonably similar flying wing profile...

I believe that although the B21 looks like the B2...it is smaller, so could be a single bomb-bay? And I thought it was already indicated that the B21 would be a twin engine aircraft. Pratt won the B21 engine contract and will likely use a version of the F135 from the F35 -- a 30-klb thrust engine -- four of them would be way too much power and weight for a subsonic aircraft smaller than the B2.
Always take the Red Eye if possible

Ozair

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:54 pm

QuarkFly wrote:
I believe that although the B21 looks like the B2...it is smaller, so could be a single bomb-bay?

Not sure about one larger bomb bay against two smaller but is certainly possible. To me there is some redundancy in two smaller bays equipped with rotary launchers and we have seen even with smaller cranked kite aircraft such as the X-47B there are two smaller bays.

I indicated in the previous thread that I expect the B-21 to have some form of self defensive A2A missile so perhaps one large bomb bay and two smaller A2A bays that may also handle small A2G ordnance?
QuarkFly wrote:
And I thought it was already indicated that the B21 would be a twin engine aircraft. Pratt won the B21 engine contract and will likely use a version of the F135 from the F35 -- a 30-klb thrust engine -- four of them would be way too much power and weight for a subsonic aircraft smaller than the B2.

You’re right, found this reference indicating as such,

James said the twin-engine B-21 will allow the Air Force to operate in a "high-end threat environment" and give the Air Force the flexibility to launch airstrikes from the continental United States, attacking anywhere in the world.

http://www.courant.com/hc-pratt-b-21-en ... story.html
Agree on using the F135 or a minimal modified derivative of. There is great growth potential in the engine and, in that size range, the AETP being funding by the US requires compatibility with the F-35 so an enduring support chain and upgrade program will be available. The GE AETP is looking to provide the following,
GE's adaptive cycle, three-stream engine extends aircraft operating range by more than 30%, improves fuel consumption by 25% and increases thrust by more than 10%. With the AETP and follow-on development programs, GE's engine could be ready to power the US military's most advanced combat jets.

https://www.geaviation.com/press-releas ... ontract-us

I do expect them to maximise the electrical generation potential as I see the B-21 with a directed energy weapon from IOC with the capacity for further upgrade so additional excess thrust is highly probable.
Whatever eventuates though, I'm expecting to have a lot of interesting conversations over the next 7-10 years as more details are released.

Mods, not sure if it is possible with the current software but would be a great feature of the forum to have a couple of posts fixed at the top of the thread with all the facts and their references on configuration, capability and intent. Would probably stop a lot of unnecessary back and forth we have seen in some of the other enduring threads.

SCAT15F

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 pm

Given that the F135 has 28,000 lbs dry and will certainly get a larger fan for a better subsonic efficiency, I can see the derivative for the B-21 having 36-40,000 lbs thrust.

Ozair

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:08 am

SCAT15F wrote:
Given that the F135 has 28,000 lbs dry and will certainly get a larger fan for a better subsonic efficiency, I can see the derivative for the B-21 having 36-40,000 lbs thrust.

Indeed, PW is already promising an initial improvement.
Pratt & Whitney can now offer a Growth Option 1.0 upgrade configuration for the F135 engine, which powers the fifth generation F-35 Lightning II fighter aircraft. The engine testing, conducted at Pratt & Whitney's West Palm Beach, FL, facility, verified this upgrade can provide a 5 to 6 percent fuel burn improvement and a 6 to10 percent thrust increase across the F-35 flight envelope.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 66212.html

iamlucky13

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Ozair wrote:
PaddyOMaddy wrote:

Just guessing but perhaps because the B-2 was an NG aircraft and the B-21 is also an NG aircraft. Also everything we know to date appears to suggest the B-21 will essentially be a new B-2, given it is subsonic, likely two bomb bays, likely four engines, reasonably similar flying wing profile.

That is correct. Here's the USAF press release on the designation:
http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/ ... ke-bomber/

I'd have preferred they stick with some sort of semi-coherent numbering scheme, but I don't suppose a 21 will show up on radar any more easily than a 3.