Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GalaxyFlyer

Re: A380 as a Head of State Aircraft

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Republic of Gabon has a B777, if they can justify one, anyone can.

GF

FrmrKSEngr

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:14 am

Dutchy wrote:
"Moving the POTUS around is a lot more complicated than most people imagine." No, the President of America just has an overkill for security. No other head of state seems to need it. So, in the end, it is a choice not mandatory.

Not trying to suggest that every head of state should do like our Prime Minister of the Netherlands, Rutte.

No other head of state has the same responsibilities and scrutiny as the US president. The scrutiny drives the large press contingent that follows him around, and is transported on AF-1. Responsibility - As generally the "Leader of the Free World" (Though the current occupant of the White House is loosing that title) and Commander and Chief of the most powerful military on the planet, there is a need to stay in touch and continue business while traveling, therefore needs a big staff and comms. While Putin and Xi Jinping arguably may have similar worldwide responsibilities and concerns, I imagine they do not have the same internal scrutiny and do not have to support the same press corp.

As for the Dutch PM Not quite the same the same responsibilities, nor as large a press contingent.

Dutchy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:07 am

Yeah yeah yeah, the US is soooooooooo damn special. I get your drift :lol:

WIederling

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 am

dredgy wrote:
He is nationalistic and uses Russian built aircraft. He wouldn’t want a European aircraft to showcase him to the world at a time when Russia/EU relations are abysmal. He wouldn’t give the Europeans the money for it and I’m not sure they’d accept it even if he wanted to. He’d go Boeing over Airbus any day.

The US President is the only head of state that legitimately requires an aircraft that size (he has to travel with a huge entourage of staff and journalistsbut the 747 is big enough, and any aircraft used primarily as Air Force One has a to be American made if I recall correctly.

Cute!
you do notice the hilarious gulf you span with those two blocked statements?

dredgy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:58 am

WIederling wrote:
dredgy wrote:
He is nationalistic and uses Russian built aircraft. He wouldn’t want a European aircraft to showcase him to the world at a time when Russia/EU relations are abysmal. He wouldn’t give the Europeans the money for it and I’m not sure they’d accept it even if he wanted to. He’d go Boeing over Airbus any day.

The US President is the only head of state that legitimately requires an aircraft that size (he has to travel with a huge entourage of staff and journalistsbut the 747 is big enough, and any aircraft used primarily as Air Force One has a to be American made if I recall correctly.

Cute!
you do notice the hilarious gulf you span with those two blocked statements?

Not particularly. I can notice some contradictions, but both statements I stand by. I can make it less ambiguous:
1. Putin wouldn't buy Airbus. He also wouldn't buy Boeing, though its (infinitesimally) more likely due to his intense dislike of Merkel. I was using hyperbole
2. POTUS has incredibly over the top security & communication needs, plus a ridiculously huge entourage that can justify the large aircraft. No other head of state has these requirements. Are the requirements necessary? Probably not, but as they stand, POTUS can justify a jumbo.

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:47 am

This is of course just an exercise in BS.
Or a case of "my xxxx is bigger than yours"

And whilst the A380 is technically the largest aircraft, the Queen of the Skies has a certain presence that I personally don't get when I look at the whale.

As for "the President of the USA legitimately needs such a large aircraft" - that's just BS again. And conveniently short memories, or indeed "presentism", in this case viewing things as if the current scenario is (and always has been) necessary & correct.
It makes you wonder how former President's managed with these vastly inferior machines..... and yet somehow each of these Air Force One's were good enough at the time.

If you cannot have the bestest aircraft, at least nail a significant registration, such as EX-00001, TP-01, RP-C1

Or take the French approach, and not bother to display any registration at all....

And of course, not forgetting this pair of splendid South American birds, absurdus ridiculous, aka Colombia 0001 & Venezuela 0001