Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LupineChemist
Topic Author

Spanish F-18 crashes on take off from Torrejón Air Base near Madrid.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 am

https://www.thespainreport.com/articles ... on-airbase

First indications seem to be a loss of power.

It's a bad week for Spanish military aviation.

KarelXWB

Re: Spanish F-18 crashes on take off from Torrejón Air Base near Madrid.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 am

Unfortunately the pilot has been killed in the accident.

spantax

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:25 pm

According to the Spanish leading newspaper:

https://politica.elpais.com/politica/20 ... 26792.html

Pilot, Liutenant Fernando Pérez serrano, 26, 700 flight hours. RIP.

According to military sources, "before the flight, the mechanics heared a weird noise coming from the F-18 engine".

My question: Shouldn't be a twin llike the F-18 intrinsically very safe in a case of ONE motor shot-down?

Two planes crashed (Eurofighter, F-18) is too much, isn't it?

Slug71

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Damn. Second crash in like a week. RIP

AirlineCritic

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:14 pm

spantax wrote:
According to military sources, "before the flight, the mechanics heared a weird noise coming from the F-18 engine".

*Before* the flight? And they still took off? Or a mistake in the article, or a translation error? Before *crash* would make more sense.

spantax

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 pm

In Spanish: "antes del despegue". I think the correct translation is "before take-off". I know, I had the same reaction. Why didn't they stop the whole operation? Perturbing indeed. Time and accident investigators will get us out of doubt, I hope.

Ozair

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 pm

spantax wrote:

A big shame if true!

spantax wrote:
My question: Shouldn't be a twin like the F-18 intrinsically very safe in a case of ONE motor shot-down?

No, not necessarily. There are plenty of problems that can occur to a twin engine aircraft that impact both engines. Alternatively above certain weights and in certain flight regimes the airframe requires thrust from both engines, or needs the second engine to compensate for the loss of thrust quicker than it functionally can. An example of was the Canadian Hornet crash in 2010 where the cause was a faulty piston in one engine.
The Royal Canadian Air Force says a number of factors contributed to the crash, but it pointed specifically at the piston.
"The engine malfunction was likely the result of a stuck ratio boost piston in the right engine main fuel control that prevented the engine from advancing above flight idle when maximum afterburner was selected," says the report.
"The large thrust imbalance between the left and the right engines caused the aircraft to depart controlled flight and the aircraft was unrecoverable within the altitude available."

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/n ... dmail.com&

schulzb

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm very surprise about that ... A loss of power leading to a crash during take-off on a two engines aircraft seems almost impossible reguarding that one engine is enought to take-off. What kind of failure would lead to the loss of power on both of them ? From what I know I would say a bird ingestion or electrical failure leading to a non regulation of the engine which can create an engine surge in some case. I would be glad to know more about that if you have more informations.
I guess the investigation will help use to understand that :)

bigjku

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:15 pm

schulzb wrote:
I'm very surprise about that ... A loss of power leading to a crash during take-off on a two engines aircraft seems almost impossible reguarding that one engine is enought to take-off. What kind of failure would lead to the loss of power on both of them ? From what I know I would say a bird ingestion or electrical failure leading to a non regulation of the engine which can create an engine surge in some case. I would be glad to know more about that if you have more informations.
I guess the investigation will help use to understand that :)

Keep in mind military aircraft aren’t subject to same rules a twin engined civilian airliner is. Power requirements there are sized for safe flights on one engine. Military engine configurations are primarily driven by performance considerations rather than safety. In general this means means a two engine plane can often operate on one engine but that isn’t the primary design concern it is with civilian planes.