Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Slug71
Topic Author

Eurofighter down in Spain killing Pilot

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:00 pm

A Spanish Air Force Eurofighter Typhoon has crashed at Albacete, southeast on Madrid, Spain, while recovering to Los Lanos airbase after taking part in a National parade. The pilot did not manage to eject from the aircraft and was killed in the accident.

According to the Spanish MoD, the Eurofighter, one of four Typhoons that took part in the parade over Madrid, crashed, for unknown reasons, on approach to Albacete.

https://theaviationist.com/2017/10/12/s ... ing-pilot/

RIP to the fallen.

Catfry

Re: Eurofighter down in Spain killing Pilot

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:59 pm

the spanish seem to have no luck with the type, considering they have the highest number of accidents, while having the least amount of planes out of the original partners.

Aesma

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Any more info on what happened ?

ThePointblank

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:10 am

Catfry wrote:
the spanish seem to have no luck with the type, considering they have the highest number of accidents, while having the least amount of planes out of the original partners.

Not a good situation for the Eurofighter, as 3 have crashed this month (the Saudi's lost one a few weeks back, followed by the Italians, and now the Spanish). Hard to tell with the current information available if it is an issue with the type, or just bad luck. Will need a through investigation into the cause.

Slug71
Topic Author

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:00 am

Aesma wrote:
Any more info on what happened ?

Not that I could find.

Dutchy

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 am

ThePointblank wrote:
Catfry wrote:

Not a good situation for the Eurofighter, as 3 have crashed this month (the Saudi's lost one a few weeks back, followed by the Italians, and now the Spanish). Hard to tell with the current information available if it is an issue with the type, or just bad luck. Will need a through investigation into the cause.

Why would it be an issue with the type? A bit over dramatic, don't you think. The type has been in service for many years.

ITMercure

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:12 am

Why would it be an issue with the type? A bit over dramatic, don't you think. The type has been in service for many years.[/quote]

Not meaning this is what happened, but for the sake of bringing a non-dramatic example : might be a problem with a FBW software upgrade. In which cas, past performance statistics would be moot.

Dutchy

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:18 am

Might, a lot of speculation, most probably: separate incidents, just bad luck.

Gingersnap

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:57 pm

ITMercure wrote:
Why would it be an issue with the type? A bit over dramatic, don't you think. The type has been in service for many years.

Not meaning this is what happened, but for the sake of bringing a non-dramatic example : might be a problem with a FBW software upgrade. In which cas, past performance statistics would be moot.[/quote]

I work on the type as my day job and there hasn't been an FCS upgrade for some time, so I feel confident to state this isn't an FCS issue.

I'm not going to speculate that it's pilot error, although I'd argue the Saudi incident and Italian incident most certainly were in my opinion.