User avatar
FoxtrotSierra
Topic Author
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:06 am

Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:04 am

Wow, this looks stunning!

Image
 
carlokiii
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:26 am

Boeing could at least have made the disclaimer font size a tad bit smaller. These still look like the VC25, but it's refreshing to see an updated version with a longer upper deck and those huge engines.
 
KICT
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:38 am

Since when is AF1 a civilian aircraft?
 
Antarius
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:43 am

The wings look off. I'm looking at my 747-8i model on my desk right now and there is definitely more curve and sweep to the wings. These look like a 744 with the winglets chopped off.
2017 :SIN |HKG |LAX |DFW |HOU |IAH |MAF |LBB |DCA |IAD |ORD |BOS |DEN |LHR |MAD |HNL |ITO |OGG |PHX |DOH |JHB |KUL |DEL |BLR |CDG |ORY |NRT |CGK |BTH |ICN |INV |ABZ |LCY |LTN |SFO |PHL |SJC |SLC |MIA |TPA |PBI |CLT |FLL |CUN
 
User avatar
CCA
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:29 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:46 am

Now to find the original picture it's based on.

It's the one with the body gear doors open!
P1 in A330, A340, A346, B742, B744, B748.
 
User avatar
piedmontf284000
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 am

I'm really hoping that when the Air Force ushers in the new fleet that they upgrade the livery. It is time for a refresh.
 
airzona11
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:28 am

That is a great looking bird. No doubt it will have some awesome technology and capabilities.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Crew
Posts: 25110
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 am

Are you sure it's an official rendering? The photo says artist rendering and I cannot find anything on Boeing's website.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
Andre3K
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Man I was hoping they would go with a new livery. The AF1 paint is one of the most boring 747 paints out there. But I guess it's easier to maintain with all those cheat lines.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 3390
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:36 am

Andre3K wrote:
Man I was hoping they would go with a new livery. The AF1 paint is one of the most boring 747 paints out there. But I guess it's easier to maintain with all those cheat lines.


yes it is a bit dated, but it is also iconic, so leave it :D
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
mmo
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:30 pm

I don't think you will ever see the AF-1 paint scheme change. The current scheme was selected just after JFK took office and Jackie was the person who actually selected it. So, there is too much history there to make any changes.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:26 pm

mmo wrote:
I don't think you will ever see the AF-1 paint scheme change. The current scheme was selected just after JFK took office and Jackie was the person who actually selected it. So, there is too much history there to make any changes.

You reckon?

Since when did that stop Trump, the king of bad taste?

Expect a change from blue to red at least.
 
HHScot
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:04 pm

It'll probably have "Mine's bigger than yours Kim!" in huge letters on the side!

But seriously, I doubt they'll change the livery unless it can't be done due to the composites. (Polished belly)

Any idea when it's planned to enter service?
 
mmo
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Channex757 wrote:
mmo wrote:
I don't think you will ever see the AF-1 paint scheme change. The current scheme was selected just after JFK took office and Jackie was the person who actually selected it. So, there is too much history there to make any changes.

You reckon?

Since when did that stop Trump, the king of bad taste?

Expect a change from blue to red at least.


Of course you do realize Trump will be out of the White House by then. (even if he does get re-elected)
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 pm

mmo wrote:
Channex757 wrote:
mmo wrote:
I don't think you will ever see the AF-1 paint scheme change. The current scheme was selected just after JFK took office and Jackie was the person who actually selected it. So, there is too much history there to make any changes.

You reckon?

Since when did that stop Trump, the king of bad taste?

Expect a change from blue to red at least.


Of course you do realize Trump will be out of the White House by then. (even if he does get re-elected)

Yessss......

however do you really think he won't have his fingers in the design, one way or another?
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:26 am

Channex757 wrote:
mmo wrote:
Channex757 wrote:
You reckon?

Since when did that stop Trump, the king of bad taste?

Expect a change from blue to red at least.


Of course you do realize Trump will be out of the White House by then. (even if he does get re-elected)

Yessss......

however do you really think he won't have his fingers in the design, one way or another?


It's just an accident of history that the new AF1 gets introduced with a new president. The VC-25's were supposed to arrive prior to the end of Reagan's administration. It was only due to delays in the development and testing process that they didn't become available till after he left office. I bet that if Boeing gets the new planes ready before the end of Trump's administration, Trump will fly on it.
 
mmo
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:

It's just an accident of history that the new AF1 gets introduced with a new president. The VC-25's were supposed to arrive prior to the end of Reagan's administration. It was only due to delays in the development and testing process that they didn't become available till after he left office. I bet that if Boeing gets the new planes ready before the end of Trump's administration, Trump will fly on it.


I doubt it, since hopefully, the maximum the time in office would be 4 years. The EMP hardening and comm installation will take longer than that!
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 2301
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:35 pm

mmo wrote:

I doubt it, since hopefully, the maximum the time in office would be 4 years.


Actually logic would dictate that we all hope he serves 8 years. That would mean that despite all the rhetoric, Pres. Trump actually learned to be a decent president and the US did not go to hell in a hand basket.

My guess would be one year for preliminary design, one year for final design, one year to build components, one year to mod and one year to test. What does that bring us? 2022?

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 24525
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:14 pm

I fully expect the program to run long. One, because they just do. And two, because they are modifying an already-built frame so some items that likely would have been installed during initial assembly on the line will now need to be retrofitted and I expect that to take more time to design and implement.
 
Sooner787
Posts: 1957
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Andre3K wrote:
Man I was hoping they would go with a new livery. The AF1 paint is one of the most boring 747 paints out there. But I guess it's easier to maintain with all those cheat lines.


That livery was designed in part by Jackie Kennedy for the VC-137's so I doubt anyone would
dare suggest revising the livery.

The new B748I will be a looker , that's for sure :)
 
User avatar
kanban
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm

bikerthai wrote:
mmo wrote:

My guess would be one year for preliminary design, one year for final design, one year to build components, one year to mod and one year to test. What does that bring us? 2022?

bt

Add one year for defining and writing the removals paper (yes some will be concurrent with engineering release), 2 years for actual removals and structural mods .. then start the hand built interiors installation
 
User avatar
kanban
Posts: 3743
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm

duplicate
 
mmo
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:44 pm

You are forgetting the EMP mod and Comm mods which will have to be taken care of. In addition, an additional APU will be installed as well air staris in the LF cargo compartment on the left side. All in all, there are several large mods which will have to be completed. IIRC, the current set of VC-25s were delayed substantially while the comm mods were completed.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 2301
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:08 pm

There is one big difference between this mod and the last mod. I believe most if not all of the fuselage structure for the 747-8 is digitized. And of course, the brand new wing would be all digitized. There is much less guessing on where all the structural hardware and provisions are for the mod. This would speed up the design and build process an the interior hardware could be pre-kitted and not need to be fabricated on assembly as much.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 5171
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 pm

I love the AF1 livery, but the extended hump of the 748i just makes it look naked (or maybe it's he lack of windows in the rendering). I hope they tweak it to fix that problem while keeping the livery intact.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 5171
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Antarius wrote:
The wings look off. I'm looking at my 747-8i model on my desk right now and there is definitely more curve and sweep to the wings. These look like a 744 with the winglets chopped off.

It kinda looks like the current VC25 just with photoshopped GEnX's and a stretched hump. This is no way an official Boeing rendering.
"It's not getting to the land of the nonrev that's the problem, it's getting back." ~~Captain Hector Barbossa
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Antarius wrote:
The wings look off. I'm looking at my 747-8i model on my desk right now and there is definitely more curve and sweep to the wings. These look like a 744 with the winglets chopped off.

It kinda looks like the current VC25 just with photoshopped GEnX's and a stretched hump. This is no way an official Boeing rendering.


I've notice that the -8 doesn't have much of a sweep up at the end of the wings when it's on the ground like the 787 in photos I've seen.
 
Antarius
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:18 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Antarius wrote:
The wings look off. I'm looking at my 747-8i model on my desk right now and there is definitely more curve and sweep to the wings. These look like a 744 with the winglets chopped off.

It kinda looks like the current VC25 just with photoshopped GEnX's and a stretched hump. This is no way an official Boeing rendering.


I've notice that the -8 doesn't have much of a sweep up at the end of the wings when it's on the ground like the 787 in photos I've seen.


Good point. I had to go search through pictures. Looks like the 8i flex is almost entirely in flight.
2017 :SIN |HKG |LAX |DFW |HOU |IAH |MAF |LBB |DCA |IAD |ORD |BOS |DEN |LHR |MAD |HNL |ITO |OGG |PHX |DOH |JHB |KUL |DEL |BLR |CDG |ORY |NRT |CGK |BTH |ICN |INV |ABZ |LCY |LTN |SFO |PHL |SJC |SLC |MIA |TPA |PBI |CLT |FLL |CUN
 
User avatar
bikerthai
Posts: 2301
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:44 pm

From where are you guys referring the lack of sweep? Note that the 747 has weight of the extra engine, so on the ground the out board engine would have a greater cantilever effect on the wing sweep.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.
 
citationjet
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:26 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:16 am

Interesting there is no inflight refueling bump on the nose in the rendering.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.
 
User avatar
Slug71
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Official Boeing 747-8 AF1 Renderings

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:51 pm

citationjet wrote:
Interesting there is no inflight refueling bump on the nose in the rendering.


As of right now, the IFR requirement has been removed.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1374815

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos