Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlightXCVI
Topic Author

C-5 Galaxy re-engine?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 pm

The C-5 galaxy is undoubtedly an amazing aircraft. I think that the life of these heavy lifters could be extended dramatically if we could slap some new tech on it. Imagine your grandpa getting an IPhone and a Bluetooth headset. Maybe a smart watch too. A wing upgrade would be nice as well. You could apply the same concept to the C-17.

sixtyseven

Re: C-5 Galaxy re-engine?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 pm

they're flying the b-52 around with the same pipes and it's going to be flying forever. I don't think the military cares too much about the operating cost of doing anything. What gets them into trouble is when they have to dip into the budget for these projects. Rewinging "Fred" would cost enough to rebuild Barbuda

flyingclrs727

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Already happened. All C-5B's, and C's and a handful of A's were converted to C-5M's with GE CF6-80C2 engines. The last C-5A still flying that won't be converted flew to the boneyard a few days ago.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/aerona ... o/c5m.html

sixtyseven

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 pm

I think the M mod extended its service life til into the 2040s, no?

flyingclrs727

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:00 am

All the original C-5's now known as A and C models had new wings installed in the 80's. All the B models were originally built with the updated wings. Why would the M's need new wings?

KICT

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 am

Since when is the C-5 a civilian aircraft?

Andre3K

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:49 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Already happened. All C-5B's, and C's and a handful of A's were converted to C-5M's with GE CF6-80C2 engines. The last C-5A still flying that won't be converted flew to the boneyard a few days ago.

To be more precise, the C-5M mod's are not totally done, there is at least one, possibly two still being worked on here. Should be totally finished by March.

flyingclrs727

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:55 am

Andre3K wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

To be more precise, the C-5M mod's are not totally done, there is at least one, possibly two still being worked on here. Should be totally finished by March.

But all the ones that aren't being upgraded have been retired. With the retirement of the TF-39 engines, there's no way to fly any C-5A's to Georgia to go through the RERP process.

Andre3K

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:00 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Andre3K wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

But all the ones that aren't being upgraded have been retired. With the retirement of the TF-39 engines, there's no way to fly any C-5A's to Georgia to go through the RERP process.

I didn't say we are getting new ones. It takes months and months just to do the stuff inside the hanger and months and months to then do the stuff on the flightline. It's not like building a 737 where you move to a new station every 12 hours.

TW870

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:05 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:

Thanks so much for that update. This is a sad day. The TF-39 has got to be the coolest, most dramatic sounding turbofan that has ever operated. In every phase of flight it makes a different, highly memorable sound. I see the C-5Ms fly, and they just are not the same because they sound like any run of the mill CF6 powered bird. I always though the mystique of the C-5 was both its massive size and its crazy, screaming whining sound. Now that is history.

You have to admire the how long the TF-39 lasted though! Talk about a high fuel burn, high maintenance machine. It seriously makes the JT9D-3A look modern.

glideslope

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Andre3K wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
Andre3K wrote:

I didn't say we are getting new ones. It takes months and months just to do the stuff inside the hanger and months and months to then do the stuff on the flightline. It's not like building a 737 where you move to a new station every 12 hours.

Every 11hrs in 2019. ;)

flyingclrs727

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 pm

TW870 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Thanks so much for that update. This is a sad day. The TF-39 has got to be the coolest, most dramatic sounding turbofan that has ever operated. In every phase of flight it makes a different, highly memorable sound. I see the C-5Ms fly, and they just are not the same because they sound like any run of the mill CF6 powered bird. I always though the mystique of the C-5 was both its massive size and its crazy, screaming whining sound. Now that is history.

You have to admire the how long the TF-39 lasted though! Talk about a high fuel burn, high maintenance machine. It seriously makes the JT9D-3A look modern.

I found the sound of the TF-39 quite grating. It sounded as if someone left some loose screws in them. It was a wonder to me that an engine in proper working order could make such sounds.

ssteve

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:25 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I found the sound of the TF-39 quite grating. It sounded as if someone left some loose screws in them. It was a wonder to me that an engine in proper working order could make such sounds.

Proper working order may be setting the bar too high.

flyingclrs727

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:52 pm

I never could understand why the C-5B's which were built in the 1980's were delivered with TF-39's. Why couldn't the CF6-50 have been substituted for the TF-39. After all the CF6 is a derivative of the TF-39. It was also the engine used for the KC-10, so it could have had commonality with an engine already in the USAF inventory.