Umbicopter
Topic Author

The Burans Engines

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:08 pm

The Buran is a spacecraft builded for competition whit the American spacecraft. (for more information http://www.thelivingmoon.com/41pegasus/ ... ram01.html). The Roscosmos has builded more shuttle of nasa but the difference is that NASA's shuttles are practically very similar among them, instead, the Russian's shuttles are enough different among them, mostly for the booster system and the engine of the spacecrafts. The Buran indeed has three typology of space shuttle (image) and the third shuttle could be equipped also whit 4 turbojet for increase the returning autonomy before reach the landing runway (image). Let's go to it: my question is: there are also two engine in the Buran (image) attacked inside the spacecraft. When are they used? I thought they were being used as main engine like American's space shuttle at launch, but I have read that the Russian's shuttles have the main engine on the main tank (the core of ENERGIA booster system in image) and they use this engine at launch. What's the purpose of this two exhaust throat on back of the Buran?

GST

Re: The Burans Engines

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm guessing that the Buran's engines are primarily for orbital maneuvering after the ENERGIA has done the job of getting it into orbit initially. Basically adjusting orbits, de-orbit burns and such.

flyingturtle

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Umbicopter wrote:
but I have read that the Russian's shuttles have the main engine on the main tank

Correct - the Buran spacecraft does not have engines for propulsion. The Buran is mounted on a carrier rocket. The US design is much more complicated, with the giant orange thingy being the fuel tank for the spacecraft!

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Tugger

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Umbicopter wrote:
but I have read that the Russian's shuttles have the main engine on the main tank

Correct - the Buran spacecraft does not have engines for propulsion. The Buran is mounted on a carrier rocket. The US design is much more complicated, with the giant orange thingy being the fuel tank for the spacecraft!

David

One of the primary goals of the Space Shuttle program was reusablity, So the tank was to be the only disposable element, making the main engines reuable and durable was an important goal. So they were designed as part of the shuttle.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Umbicopter
Topic Author

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:10 pm

GST wrote:
I'm guessing that the Buran's engines are primarily for orbital maneuvering after the ENERGIA has done the job of getting it into orbit initially. Basically adjusting orbits, de-orbit burns and such.

Ok thanks for have solved my doubt!

WIederling

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:27 am

Tugger wrote:
One of the primary goals of the Space Shuttle program was reusablity, So the tank was to be the only disposable element, making the main engines reuable and durable was an important goal. So they were designed as part of the shuttle.

The 0th stage boosters ( variable number in steps of two ) were designed to be reusable.
A feature not tested in the two flights executed. ( standalone you know them as Zenith :-)
Designed for parachute landing I would expect them to have progressed to fly back capability
in later development. never happened.
(later reemerges as "Baikal", a fly back booster for the Zenith successor Angara.)

You still lost the engines on the core stage.
But those were "simpler"and thus probably a bit cheaper than the SSME.
Basic performance efficiencies are rather close though.
Murphy is an optimist