Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

What is the range-limiting factor of air refuelled airplanes

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:41 pm

With air refueling, airplanes like the AF1, the B-52s and even smaller planes like F-16s are able to operate much longer than planned.

While for small planes, crew exhaustion is a decisive factor, a plane like the B747 could have 3 shifts of crew onboard that allow continuous use. food, water and even the toilets are certainly available for a Long time, especially when the AF 1 is operating with a limited amount of People on board. So at least some days seem totally possible.

So I wonder what is the decisive factor limiting the total flight time? I would guess that once in a while, oil loss of the engines would require replenishment and inspection, which cannot be done in flight.

But what is the total realistic flight time in such a case? And what will fail first and require a landing, despite fuel?

angad84

Re: What is the range-limiting factor of air refuelled airplanes

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Depending on aircraft size/role/tasking/configuration it can be a variety of things. The two I've heard most often are lubrication and fatigue.

Stitch

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:30 pm

TheSonntag wrote:
But what is the total realistic flight time in such a case? And what will fail first and require a landing, despite fuel?

The E-4B is designed to remain airborne for a full week before engine lubricant consumption requires landing.

bigjku

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Stitch wrote:
TheSonntag wrote:

The E-4B is designed to remain airborne for a full week before engine lubricant consumption requires landing.

You are more likely to be limited by consumables depending on what exactly you load up. Water, food ect all have a limited shelf life. You can certainly carry plenty depending on circumstances but I have no clue how much is loaded routinely.

I would guess in a crisis situation they load long-term stuff. On a day to day basis that stuff may or may not be on board.

In practical terms the US is a large country with many airfields. If you are in a situation where it's unsafe to land for a week I do wonder if you can cycle the necessary tankers to avoid doing it. They have to have somewhere to go and get fuel and in most circumstances it would make more sense to simply land there and refuel and reprovision the aircraft itself.

neutrino

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:16 am

Alright, slightly related to the topic of endurance with IFR, I have this to share.

A little bit of trivia: Most airplane geeks would have known that the Rutan Voyager holds the record for longest unrefueled manned flight at over 216 hours. However, the absolute record of an air vehicle, manned or unmanned, flying continuously without landing is proudly held by the Cessna 172 Skyhawk. The endurance flight of almost 65 days straddling two calendar years occurred from December 1958 to February 1959. In-flight refueling and provisions resupplies were not air-to-air but ground-to-air via a speed-matching truck along straight stretches of desert roads, twice daily.
Link to the story: http://www.countyairports.org/History/H ... light.html

Now, let's see if they can get a truck to synchronize with the AF1 747 along a really l-----o-----n-----g s-----t-----r-----e-----t-----c-----h of flatland and do a ground-to-air inflight refueling & restocking. :duck: