ssteve

Re: Report: USAF to buy Transaero NTU 747-8s for Air Force One

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Aesma wrote:
40 years for these birds ? That's very optimistic.

I bet that in less than 20 the president would want to be flying something else, a spaceplane maybe ? I see the Shuttle has been mentioned in the thread already...

The 747-8 based Air Force One replacement is scheduled to go into service around 2024, at which date the current 747-200 based SAM 28000/29000 will be 34 years old.

Given the long development times for planes to fly the president, expecting the new planes to fly for 40 years isn't too much of a stretch.

SAM 26000, a 707, served 36 years. Granted, there was a certain ease of keeping a 707 around when the USAF flew so many others. The 742s probably won't be kept around as spare VIP transport long after the 748s are done teething. But that puts them right in their late 30s.

LMP737

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:05 pm

The analogy I would use is getting a real good deal on a fully furnished house. Then getting rid of all the furniture, ripping out and replacing all the drywall, insulation wiring and plumbing.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

neutrino

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Aesma wrote:

I bet that in less than 20 the president would want to be flying something else, a spaceplane maybe ? I see the Shuttle has been mentioned in the thread already...

The Shuttle is so yesteryear. The potus of 20 years hence could possibly be blasting around on Elon Musk's mature BFR?
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

bikerthai

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 pm

LMP737 wrote:
The analogy I would use is getting a real good deal on a fully furnished house. Then getting rid of all the furniture, ripping out and replacing all the drywall, insulation wiring and plumbing.

Isn't that what they do when they set up a new Embassy or Consulate? That is if they do not built the compound up from scratch.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

Flighty

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Jayafe wrote:
Stitch wrote:
ZEDZAG wrote:
Ive forgotten why A380 was discarded as a presidental transport(AF1). Can someone explain?

Airbus chose not to submit a bid. It would have required Airbus to set up an A380 FAL in the United States and ship all the major components by ship/rail/air to it. The costs involved for two airframes would have been tremendous and there would be no way they could offer a bid anywhere near what Boeing could have charged.

An interesting twist to all this is the USAF deciding to go with white-tails rather than new-builds for cost reasons. As such, I wonder if Airbus could have pitched the two Skymark NTUs if they had been available or whether their assembly in TLS would have invalidated them under the "must assemble in the USA" requirement for the new-builds.

Watching what happened with the tanker, there was no way at all the US would allow that contract to go to a foreign manufacturer, never mind what or how much Airbus (or any other ?) would have tried or done. Simply politics....

Correct. The tanker debacle and the Presidential Helicopter debacle proved how corrupt and thoroughly broken the US bidding process was, and is. Airbus decided to lodge a high profile protest by not bidding.

Stitch

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Flighty wrote:
The tanker debacle and the Presidential Helicopter debacle proved how corrupt and thoroughly broken the US bidding process was, and is. Airbus decided to lodge a high profile protest by not bidding.

Let us not forget both the tanker debacle (NG/EADS) and the Presidential Helicopter debacle (LM/Agusta/Bell) were both involved European-sourced products so having had their hand caught in the cookie-jar once (KC-30B) and with the "guilt by association" of being an EU consortium (VH-71), perhaps Airbus decided to not risk getting into yet another debacle... :scratchchin:

747classic

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:38 pm

A recent (October 05 2017) picture of both stored future Air Force One aircraft at Victorville (KVCV)

Original uploaded by Rainer Bexten, see : http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled ... n2/QtCYTIQ
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

Aesma

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:35 pm

neutrino wrote:
Aesma wrote:

The Shuttle is so yesteryear. The potus of 20 years hence could possibly be blasting around on Elon Musk's mature BFR?

Ah ah I was just talking about the Shuttle because it was a kind of spaceplane, proving I wasn't that far off with the idea. Not that travelling with a Shuttle would make any sense !

Yes something like Elon latest musings, or one from a competitor.

When I was a kid French president François Mitterrand travelled several times on a privatized Concorde. If that became possible again in some form, how long before the US president would like to be in on it ?

New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

itchief

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Flighty wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
Stitch wrote:

Airbus chose not to submit a bid. It would have required Airbus to set up an A380 FAL in the United States and ship all the major components by ship/rail/air to it. The costs involved for two airframes would have been tremendous and there would be no way they could offer a bid anywhere near what Boeing could have charged.

An interesting twist to all this is the USAF deciding to go with white-tails rather than new-builds for cost reasons. As such, I wonder if Airbus could have pitched the two Skymark NTUs if they had been available or whether their assembly in TLS would have invalidated them under the "must assemble in the USA" requirement for the new-builds.

Watching what happened with the tanker, there was no way at all the US would allow that contract to go to a foreign manufacturer, never mind what or how much Airbus (or any other ?) would have tried or done. Simply politics....

Correct. The tanker debacle and the Presidential Helicopter debacle proved how corrupt and thoroughly broken the US bidding process was, and is. Airbus decided to lodge a high profile protest by not bidding.

And this from another part of this forum, "Airbus CEO warns of significant impact from corruption probes", because it only happens in the USA. :roll:

AirlineCritic

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:44 pm

747classic wrote:

Wow, nice shot! Also, I can see that they already have the on-board wireless Internet pods installed. President can surf the net. Tweet even. All good.