bunumuring
Topic Author

Embraer KC-390 prospects

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Hey guys,
On Wednesday 12 July, I drove to Sydney Airport to see the second prototype of Embraer's KC-390 overnighting there on its way back from New Zealand.
Viewing the plane got me thinking...
I know that Brazil and Portugal have ordered the aircraft, and I believe that Chile, Argentina, the Czech Republic and Colombia have all apparently said that they will order it for their air forces... but there were only four flags painted under the cockpit windows! What is the status of these countries' commitments to the KC-390? Who else is considering it? I know it is under evaluation by New Zealand to replace their Hercules and some roles of their 757s, and has been evaluated and rejected by Canada for its FWSAR requirement. I have read reports of Sweden and the UAE being interested but that was years ago.
Are there still plans to build a stretched version, aimed predominantly at the civil market (I believe)?
I hope this plane is a success, and with Embraer's good record I feel that this plane will be more of an E-jet success than an CBA-123 Vector failure!
Cheers,
Bunumuring

By the way, my opinions of the KC-390 changed when I saw it. I had thought that it looked a bit ungainly and hunchbacked in photos, and a bit like a hotch-potch of design elements from other planes (C-17 tail, ATR-42/-72 nose, BAe 146 wings for example). I was pleasantly surprised to see that the plane looked much better in real life. It was also smaller than I was expecting.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Nean1

Re: Embraer KC-390 prospects

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 pm

A lot of interesting data can be found here:

http://www.embraerds.com/media_center/B ... 390_EN.pdf

Maybe the most interesting topic is about the semi-prepared airfields: ".. In terms of airfield roughness level, the KC-390 is capable of operating from the maximum
(worst) semi-prepared runway defined by MIL-A-008866B and, for soft field operations, perform10 passes at a CBR 4 airfield (loose fine sand or soft clay) ..."

SAS A340

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:50 am

Sweden is to replace the old herc. it will be new Hercs or KC-390..... A400 is to big and expencive.
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

Dutchy

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:06 am

SAS A340 wrote:
Sweden is to replace the old herc. it will be new Hercs or KC-390..... A400 is to big and expencive.

Wasn't the KC-390 almost a done deal as it is linked to the SAAB JAS-39 deal with Bazil?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 pm

For NZ I think it will largely come down to if doing the CHC-Antartica run with no point of no return is a requirement. If that is put in as a must have then I think the RNZAF will be looking very seriously at the KC-390 and C-2. So there's a very real chance of NZ picking a few up as Herc and 757 replacements.

Channex757

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 am

Big, big plus is that Embraer has a global infrastructure ready to support the aircraft. Second big plus is propulsion. No make-work political fudgeprops, just engines straight off the A321 with IAE global support and overhaul capabilities.

That has to make the KC-390 a strong contender in any sales contest. It also hasn't needed a typical US or European bloated test program to bring to readiness so cost at the factory gate will be competitive.

AtomicGarden

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 am

Sadly, I really can't see my country, Argentina, ordering brand new aircraft in the foreseeable future. When we do, it's gotta be fighter jets.

Some time ago there was some talk about C295 or Spartans, don't know what happened to that.

SAS A340

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 am

Dutchy wrote:
SAS A340 wrote:

Wasn't the KC-390 almost a done deal as it is linked to the SAAB JAS-39 deal with Bazil?

You could think so but nope. sweden will make some sort of a upgrade to the old C-130H to make them fly a year or two beyond 2020, but then i would be very surprised if there would be anything else than the KC-390.
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

Dutchy

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:58 am

SAS A340 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
SAS A340 wrote:

You could think so but nope. sweden will make some sort of a upgrade to the old C-130H to make them fly a year or two beyond 2020, but then i would be very surprised if there would be anything else than the KC-390.

Ok, thanks for the update.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Channex757

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Far too early in the production cycle to make any predictions about the viability of this aircraft. Military procurement always takes longer than civil anyway as air forces have to shake the Government money tree to get purchases authorised, so future purchases are going to be hard to predict and will be spread out anyway as it's a low volume per year product from Embraer themselves.

To me it's the tanker ability that is going to be the feature that interests the Air Forces, especially if the plane can be developed to include additional tanks. I was thinking about something like the "strike tankers" the Israeli Air Force developed; fast reaction smaller aircraft designed to meet combat planes and get them back to base. The various big twins are often too much plane so would this slot into requirements for other air forces?

tapairbus370

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Hello,

Portugal will start very soon efective negotiations regarding the buying of up to 5+1 (optional) KC-390, the goverment decret as already been issued. They are expected to also be used as "firefighter" planes during the hot summer, the "fire season".

Also, the portuguese goverment is also evaluating the suspension of the modernization of the C130H currently operating in PoAF fleet.

Here´s the link (portuguese only, but google translate is your friend): http://www.defesanet.com.br/kc390/notic ... es-KC-390/

I think this plane will have great sucess, not because Portugal is gonna have them but because there are a lot of countries with not that much money to spend that eventualy will need 2 or 3 of them, because as someone said before, the A400 is too big and expensive.
Maybe I´m being to optimistic here but in 10 years I can see between 100 and 120 sold.
Just my 2 cents....