tcfc424
Topic Author

MAC flights and the C-9's

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:16 am

Throughout history, the US has operated the C-9 nightingale fleet which has been retired for sometime. Did anything replace them? Also, since roughly 1990, the charter purchase department has been busy wet leasing airliners to ferry troops all around. Would it, at some point, be prudent for the US military to begin operating its own charter flights? There are tons of capable second hand aircraft available for the missions...so I'm at a loss as to why they don't bring the flying back in house.

bunumuring

Re: MAC flights and the C-9's

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Hey mate,
I believe that the C-40 Clipper was purchased to replace the C-9 Nightingales. Perhaps some of the second-hand 757s operated by the US military have taken over some of the Nightingale's flying as well - I'm not sure on that one.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

exFWAOONW

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 pm

tcfc424 wrote:
Throughout history, ...
I know we've had many threads about the long life of DC9s, but isn't that a bit of an exaggeration.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

zanl188

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:27 am

tcfc424 wrote:
Throughout history, the US has operated the C-9 nightingale fleet which has been retired for sometime. Did anything replace them? Also, since roughly 1990, the charter purchase department has been busy wet leasing airliners to ferry troops all around. Would it, at some point, be prudent for the US military to begin operating its own charter flights? There are tons of capable second hand aircraft available for the missions...so I'm at a loss as to why they don't bring the flying back in house.

Mission of the C-9 Nightingale was aeromedical evacuation. There was no replacement. AMC did purchase aeromedical evacuation kits to be used with CRAF 767s.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

mechatnew

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:45 am

The C-9As mission was aeromedical evacuation and transport. Most of the C-9As sorties in the USA were between USAF hospitals. This mission has been taken over by the C-17, C-130, and KC-135.

iRISH251

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 am

A small number were used for VIP purposes and in effect these have been replaced by C-32s or C-37s.