Dutchy
Topic Author

Nimitz Class vs Gerald R Ford Class

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Found this interesting clip, it compares the Nimitz class with the Ford class aircraft carrier. It mentioned a few enhancement, of course, but it will not carry more a/c 75-85 in total. What struck me was the cost, around 6-6,5bn for a Nimitz class and 12-13bn (plus 4bn in R&D) for the Ford class, so my question would be, was it worth it, 6bn extra (plus R&D) for this upgrade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Ia8ps3uBA
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Tugger

Re: Nimitz Class vs Gerald R Ford Class

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Well the unit cost of the Nimitz class is/was about $8.9 billion in 2016 when adjusted for inflation. And I would bet the development costs were similar (say $2B, adjusting to $3'ish with inflation).

The key thing the additional costs are bringing are new, step-change level technologies and systems that will apply to all future ships, carriers, subs, etc., in general.

It is still a hell of a lot of money and obviously the US military acquisition process is not the most efficient mode of purchase. (Just go read the FAR and DFAR.... https://www.acquisition.gov/browsefar ...You try to make a hammer for less than $100.... :spin: )

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Zkpilot

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:50 am

They say +$4B in development costs however that $12B figure is almost certainly going to be including a lot of development production costs that subsequent carriers won't incur. I would think that future ones will be more like $8B. Remember that over their lifetimes the new Ford carriers will save billions in operating costs compared to the Nimitz Class and be more capable at the same time.
57 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:39 am

How can the price drop from 12b to 8b? Quite a step-down. I understand that they will be less costly to operate, 700 people are quite expensive. But way would they be more capable, in essence, they will launch platforms for a/c, it is the a/c that are more capable. That was the original question, what are these extra capabilities? Or was it just an automation exercise, which in itself could be quite useful, don't get me wrong.

Ozair

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:
How can the price drop from 12b to 8b? Quite a step-down. I understand that they will be less costly to operate, 700 people are quite expensive. But way would they be more capable, in essence, they will launch platforms for a/c, it is the a/c that are more capable. That was the original question, what are these extra capabilities? Or was it just an automation exercise, which in itself could be quite useful, don't get me wrong.

Greater sortie generation per day and EM cats that can launch a greater range of aircraft at varying weights are two big advantages. Given the amount of electrical generation they are clearly planning to power future DEW as well.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:25 pm

As I recall, the newer aircraft carriers have one time fueled reactor good for 50 years.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Dutchy
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Ok, thanks. So more sorties is more effective.

Acheron

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Here you can hear Tal Manvel, first program manager for the Ford CVN explaining some of the thoughts behind the Ford's design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIjvNCFXCjs

One of the notable things is that he believes trying to reduce the number of radars was a mistake.

Sooner787

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:49 pm

btw...... I believe CVN-78's Commissioning ceremony is Sat 22 July,
hope C-SPAN covers the ceremony :)

mpgunner

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:39 am

Reducing 600 sailors to run the ship is pretty significant cost reduction over the life of the ship. From wiki:

"Systems that reduce crew workload have allowed the ship’s company on Ford-class carriers to total only 2,600 sailors, about 600 fewer than a Nimitz-class flattop."