Oykie
Topic Author

F-35 Aerial Demo at 2017 Paris Air Show

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:44 pm

I did not see this posted in the forum. Apologies, if it is already discussed elsewhere.

For those not reading the whole post, here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93NdwZAeXhI

The F-35 had its Paris Airshow debut, flying a very impressive demonstration flight. Flightglobal had the headline – PARIS: F-35 goes from zero to hero.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ro-438342/

Aviation week says the following: F-35 Unleashed: Paris Flight Demo Displays Warfighting Potential The Paris display may not silence the critics, but it certainly changed the conversation
http://aviationweek.com/defense/f-35-un ... -potential

I really enjoyed the flying display and look forward to see it live
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

Ozair

Re: F-35 Aerial Demo at 2017 Paris Air Show

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:47 am

Oykie wrote:

I really enjoyed the flying display and look forward to see it live

My contribution to this ridiculous debate on the flight performance of the F-35 compared to other airframes is to praise the above statement. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that is the whole point of the F-35 display and any fighter jet display.

The performance of a display by a fighter jet has zero relevance on the combat performance and capability of the respective aircraft WVR. Anyone who thinks they can interpret timings, bank angles, control surface movements, engine thrust and burner use etc from a viewpoint on the ground or via timing on a youtube video is deluded!

JetBuddy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:29 pm

The flight demo was flown with a "combat ready" F-35. Does this mean it was packed with dummy missiles and bombs in the bays? The demo was very impressive for sure.

ThePointblank

Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:31 am

JetBuddy wrote:
The flight demo was flown with a "combat ready" F-35. Does this mean it was packed with dummy missiles and bombs in the bays? The demo was very impressive for sure.

It probably meant an aircraft that wasn't specially configured for an air show, which is done by stripping anything off the aircraft that can cause weight and drag without negatively impacting balance. At most air shows, when you have a fighter jet doing a performance, it is specially configured to do the routine.

In short, if a war started up right in the middle of an air show, the F-35 could quickly land, load up weapons, and go off to fight a war immediately, instead of the aircraft needing a week in depot while technicians install and test everything that was stripped off.

Oykie
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:51 am

Ozair wrote:
My contribution to this ridiculous debate on the flight performance of the F-35 compared to other airframes is to praise the above statement. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that is the whole point of the F-35 display and any fighter jet display.

It is! I really love airplanes, and watch how they perform. Fighter jets are impressive. With their speed, maneuverability and noise they give a presence of dominance. They dominate the sky. What I like about the F-35 and F-22 demonstrations is that they can do maneuvers I have never seen before in other jets. Thought it deserved its own thread.

JetBuddy wrote:

Not sure how loaded it was, but I agree it was impressive. :-)
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

BravoOne

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 am

I believe this particular airframe had a 7G limitation imposed while the future deliveries will be closer to the 9G limit.

tjh8402

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:22 pm

BravoOne wrote:
I believe this particular airframe had a 7G limitation imposed while the future deliveries will be closer to the 9G limit.

Correct. The Paris demonstrator was running Block 3i software which limits to 7g. The next version, 3F, will have that increased to 9g (for the AF A model only. STOVL B and Naval C models will always be limited to 7g and 7.5g respectively.