Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jbflyguy84
Topic Author

POTUS AF1 flying RUH-TLV

Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 am

Its really quite a simple question, but how did POTUS get permission to fly RUH-TLV recently considering the relations between Saudi Arabia and Israel. I'm assuming a diplomatic permit was granted, but that would have been quite a feat to get approved, or was it as simple as POTUS saying 'thats what I want, so thats what we're doing' to the Saudi GACA?

I deal with landing permits regularly and would like to understand how this was granted as I understood GACA would always disapprove any overflying or landing for an aircraft to/from Israel.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!

YYZLGA

Re: POTUS AF1 flying RUH-TLV

Wed May 31, 2017 5:35 am

I'd imagine they simply file a flight plan RUH to AMM and then one from AMM to TLV. There is no shared border and therefore no direct ATC handoff between Saudi and Israel to cause a problem. Both countries have full diplomatic relations with and regular commercial flights to Jordan.

airtrantpa

Wed May 31, 2017 6:22 am

I don't think the Saudis or any other sovereign Nation can tell POTUS where he can or cannot fly. I'm sure that is an ignorant remark. That would take a lot of balls to tell the leader of a nation allied or not where they can and cannot go. Just saying.

hisham

Wed May 31, 2017 6:49 am

He made them an offer they can't refuse.

UAEflyer

Wed May 31, 2017 7:59 am

nothing unusual in this, many US officials fly from Saudi to Israel regularly, not sure if Obama did it, but secretary of state & Defense did it for sure, in previous administrations.

jbflyguy84
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 pm

This is all very interesting, it is funny part of the world. Thanks for the comments.

Redbellyguppy

Wed May 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Probably just go direct, due regard.

RL757PVD

Wed May 31, 2017 3:23 pm

They filed the best flight plan, better than any other flight plan that had ever been filed before. After negotiating the best flight plan deal that had ever been negotiated, the other side had no choice but to oblige. This flight plan was far superior to the flight plan offered by the German's, who's flight plans are near that of a 3rd world country... SAD

catiii

Wed May 31, 2017 3:43 pm

good article here on it. As noted, AF1 has flown TLV-Saudi in the past, not the other way around.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 1df3146f6b

jetwet1

Wed May 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Does AF1 even file a flight plan ? seems like a bit of a security risk to me, I would think a simple "this is when we are leaving" would do the job.

32andBelow

Wed May 31, 2017 4:24 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Does AF1 even file a flight plan ? seems like a bit of a security risk to me, I would think a simple "this is when we are leaving" would do the job.

Of course they file a flight plan.

jetwet1

Wed May 31, 2017 4:32 pm

32andBelow wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Of course they file a flight plan.

Great answer....

Okay, educate me a little, why would the air force file a flight plan for AF1 ? My thinking is that (especially in the case of certain countries) the last thing the air force or secret service would want is for there to be a chance that a radical would gain knowledge of times and routes...

Again, I know nothing about this and am looking for some education on the subject.

ChrisKen

Wed May 31, 2017 5:20 pm

You can't fly IFR without one.

Stitch

Wed May 31, 2017 5:42 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Okay, educate me a little, why would the air force file a flight plan for AF1 ? My thinking is that (especially in the case of certain countries) the last thing the air force or secret service would want is for there to be a chance that a radical would gain knowledge of times and routes...

Far more dangerous to fly in congested airspace without one. You risk airborne collisions.

AF1 operates at altitudes that cannot be reached without Nation-State level anti-air defenses. And those defenses have radar signatures known to the USAF so they can be detected if they attempt to lock on and track AF1. And AF1 has anti-SAM defenses.

jetwet1

Wed May 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Stitch wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Far more dangerous to fly in congested airspace without one. You risk airborne collisions.

AF1 operates at altitudes that cannot be reached without Nation-State level anti-air defenses. And those defenses have radar signatures known to the USAF so they can be detected if they attempt to lock on and track AF1. And AF1 has anti-SAM defenses.

I was doing a little research on this over lunch, came across this thread :

https://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/a ... -one.6155/

Thanks for the info though everyone, it's good to learn stuff.

NichCage

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:05 am

A Saudi Airlines plane was in TLV a while back, just to add to this.

Otherwise, Israel and Saudi Arabia still have an common enemy: Iran.