Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ozair

Re: Canada may cancel F18 deal

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 pm

bmacleod wrote:

At best how many years could Canada RCAF get out of the RAAF F-18s?

It really depends on how many jets they acquire and even down to which ones they acquire. The RAAF classic Hornet fleet has some examples with more flight hours than most and the fleet has raked up quite a bit of operational time since 2014. The question is which ones will the RAAF provide to the Canadians and it must be remembered the RAAF aren't retiring the bulk of their fleet until early 2022. You then need to consider how many hours a year the Canadians want to fly and whether they retire any Canadian Hornets due to high hour numbers and replace these with RAAF jets.

Revelation

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 pm

http://aviationweek.com/combat-aircraft ... dier-clash shows us some almighty spin:

F-35 Big Winner In Boeing-Bombardier Clash
Boeing-Bombardier spat could drive Ottawa straight to Lockheed Martin
Dec 8, 2017 Lara Seligman | Aviation Week & Space Technology

Lockheed Martin’s F-35 appears to be the real winner in the fallout from Boeing’s rift with Canada over Bombardier’s C Series passenger jetliner. Canada’s liberal government has reportedly decided to scrap its planned $5.2 billion purchase of new F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets as an interim solution to replacing its aging fleet of older-model Hornets. Instead, the Royal Canadian Air Force would buy earlier-generation Hornets from Australia as a short-term measure. The ...

cumulushumilis

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Ozair wrote:
bmacleod wrote:

At best how many years could Canada RCAF get out of the RAAF F-18s?

It really depends on how many jets they acquire and even down to which ones they acquire. The RAAF classic Hornet fleet has some examples with more flight hours than most and the fleet has raked up quite a bit of operational time since 2014. The question is which ones will the RAAF provide to the Canadians and it must be remembered the RAAF aren't retiring the bulk of their fleet until early 2022. You then need to consider how many hours a year the Canadians want to fly and whether they retire any Canadian Hornets due to high hour numbers and replace these with RAAF jets.

I have this vision of a fleet of "Frankenhornets" Been done before:

http://www.airforcesmonthly.com/2009/12/07/frankenhornet-flies/

Low time parts from RAAF Hornets coupled with a few mashed parts from RCAF Hornets such as the Avionics, etc. And don't forget the signature creepy spotlight. Add in a little speed tape, Beemans gum and you have a first rate "Frankenfleet" ready for the 2020s.

Finn350

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:22 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:
I have this vision of a fleet of "Frankenhornets" Been done before:

http://www.airforcesmonthly.com/2009/12/07/frankenhornet-flies/

Low time parts from RAAF Hornets coupled with a few mashed parts from RCAF Hornets such as the Avionics, etc. And don't forget the signature creepy spotlight. Add in a little speed tape, Beemans gum and you have a first rate "Frankenfleet" ready for the 2020s.

This is what happened to the frame

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=71697

cumulushumilis

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:54 pm

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/boeing-reacts-to-canadas-decision-to-buy-used-australian-f-18s

Boeing's response to the Australian purchase.

They are deluded into thinking the Super Hornet is in the running for the CF-18 replacement by playing up the multi engine aspect of the interim solution.

Jayafe

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:01 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/boeing-reacts-to-canadas-decision-to-buy-used-australian-f-18s

Boeing's response to the Australian purchase.

They are deluded into thinking the Super Hornet is in the running for the CF-18 replacement by playing up the multi engine aspect of the interim solution.

“Our commitment to creating a level playing field in aerospace remains.”

Amazed by how hypocritical a US company can be...

Oroka

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:11 am

Sigh, anything to avoid admitting that Harper was right in the first place. Throw time and money down the drain.

LockheedBBD

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:13 am

cumulushumilis wrote:

Boeing is correct, Canada should be buying multi-engined fighters........like the Dassault Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon. :stirthepot: :box:

bmacleod

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:03 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
cumulushumilis wrote:

Boeing is correct, Canada should be buying multi-engined fighters........like the Dassault Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon. :stirthepot: :box:

Highly likely they (Trudeau government) will eventually have to admit Harper's Conservatives made the right choice and stick with the F-35 - but will wait after the 2019 election to make the announcement.

Ozair

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:12 pm

bmacleod wrote:

Highly likely they (Trudeau government) will eventually have to admit Harper's Conservatives made the right choice and stick with the F-35 - but will wait after the 2019 election to make the announcement.

I have no doubt a competition will be run, that would be too much of a backflip to not happen, but there should be little doubt that the F-35 will be the best option on both cost and capability.

Oroka

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:52 am

bmacleod wrote:

That is exactly what they are doing.

CBC wrote:
Multiple government and industry sources say what the public will see is the first step "in a long road" toward the issuing of a formal tender in early 2019 and the eventual acquisition of brand new warplanes by the mid-2020s.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/austral ... -1.4436680

By the time the tender is over, the Liberals will have won the election and can admit the F-35 is NOW the best aircraft for the job because it isnt in development anymore, or the Conservatives will be back in power and they order the F-35.

SCAT15F

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:28 am

LockheedBBD wrote:

Typhoon would make a lot more sense than the F-35 for Canada given the core mission of Canadian/North American air defense. Harper was a hardcore neocon so of course he would want a dedicated strike aircraft (F-35) as opposed to something more adept at air to air/ air defense (Typhoon)

queb

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:53 pm

After the 18 Super Hornet cancellation, Boeing chances to win the fleet replacement bid are very low:

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/new ... d/jafhm599

Through this competition, the Government of Canada will ensure it gets the right aircraft at the right price, and maximizes economic benefits for Canadians. The government will ensure that the Canadian aerospace and defence industries and manufacturers are consulted and engaged in this process.

Proposals will be rigorously assessed on cost, technical requirements and industrial, technological and economic benefits. As it is important to do business with trusted partners, the evaluation of bids will also include an assessment of bidders’ impact on Canada’s economic interests.

When bids are assessed, any bidder responsible for harm to Canada’s economic interests will be at a distinct disadvantage.
This new assessment, as well as guidelines for its application as an ongoing procurement tool, will be developed through appropriate consultations.

Ozair

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:39 pm

queb wrote:
After the 18 Super Hornet cancellation, Boeing chances to win the fleet replacement bid are very low:
http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/new ... d/jafhm599

Information there points to 18 RAAF Hornets being acquired, the first time I have seen a number and is lower than I expected. Those jets won’t be available until 2022, right at contract signature for the new fighter and only three years before the first jet is expected to enter service, while it will likely be a 3-5 year transfer from the classic Hornet to the new fighter. I didn’t think the Canadian Hornet fleet was so short on hours so it seems excessive to bring in 18 RAAF Hornets, likely with similar hours, to tide the fleet over.
I haven’t seen any pricing on acquiring the RAAF Hornets yet, will be interesting to see what value is attached to them by Australia and Canada.

ExMilitaryEng

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Ozair wrote:
[I haven’t seen any pricing on acquiring the RAAF Hornets yet, will be interesting to see what value is attached to them by Australia and Canada.

CDN$500M has been put aside by the Feds. The actual amount will be determined later, pending further detailed negotiations (including amount of spare parts, which airframe is actually acquired)

The article also mentions the following: "Transfers to a third party of military equipment originally provided via foreign military sales require U.S. authorization"

Well, if the US rejects the transaction, that would be a good pretext for Canada to temporally suspend those useless NATO air defense deployments. That would save airframe stress/hours big time and extend our legacy Hornets life a few more years... (We can support NATO way more efficiently by providing more land troops in the Baltics...)

Ozair

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:43 pm

ExMilitaryEng wrote:
CDN$500M has been put aside by the Feds. The actual amount will be determined later, pending further detailed negotiations (including amount of spare parts, which airframe is actually acquired)

Thanks for that. If we said $10 mill per aircraft, then transport, spares, admin etc on top of that would give some leeway for the budget.
ExMilitaryEng wrote:
The article also mentions the following: "Transfers to a third party of military equipment originally provided via foreign military sales require U.S. authorization"

I don’t see that being an issue other than the paperwork to gain the approval. Plenty of ex US equipment moves around the globe, both Canada and Australia are trusted partners and Canada already operates the aircraft.
ExMilitaryEng wrote:
Well, if the US rejects the transaction, that would be a good pretext for Canada to temporally suspend those useless NATO air defense deployments. That would save airframe stress/hours big time and extend our legacy Hornets life a few more years... (We can support NATO way more efficiently by providing more land troops in the Baltics...)

A lot of the long term fleet analysis I have seen points to operational hours, as long as they aren’t excessive, being better for overall fleet management than homeland training. Typically less Gs and edge case airframe incidents operationally compared to what occurs at home. Where they do save is not having to deploy and support those units overseas.

ExMilitaryEng

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Its my undestanding that our legacy Hornets are more hours limited while the Aussies ones not as much, but got more corrosion problems.

Hope L3 MAS in Mirabel find the optimal way to salvage the good parts somehow and can ensure an overall life extension of sufficient airframes.

Ozair

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:40 am

ExMilitaryEng wrote:
Its my undestanding that our legacy Hornets are more hours limited while the Aussies ones not as much, but got more corrosion problems.

Hope L3 MAS in Mirabel find the optimal way to salvage the good parts somehow and can ensure an overall life extension of sufficient airframes.

Do you expect the RCAF to fly the ex-RAAF jets or just cannibalise them? I was expecting them to put them into service but given the timeframe, 2022, there won’t be a great deal of time to get L-3 to upgrade 18 jets before entering service.

ExMilitaryEng

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:08 am

I believe it could be any of both approaches. Each airframe will be assessed (it's probably being done now) and the optimal/cheapest approach will be retained for each frame.

Aussie Hornets don't have exactly the same avionics, equipment, radios and modifications. We would need to bring those a bit closer to "RCAF standards" if I can say (basically swapping the CF18 eqpt into the Aussie Hornet). There is a cost to that.

That's why it could be cheaper, by example, to just swap the wings for one particular frame. No other eqpt upgrade would then be needed. That particular Aussie Hornet become then a part donnor.

Each frame might be different.

The exact parts swapping / or eqpt upgrade plan will be drafted for each frame, before the contract is signed. (it will also dictate which frame is procured).

(Pls note that my career was in the army, not the Air Force. Some of the infos I got are from my L3 MAS buddies. I would be happy to be corrected if need be)

Ozair

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:49 am

ExMilitaryEng wrote:
I believe it could be any of both approaches. Each airframe will be assessed (it's probably being done now) and the optimal/cheapest approach will be retained for each frame.

Aussie Hornets don't have exactly the same avionics, equipment, radios and modifications. We would need to bring those a bit closer to "RCAF standards" if I can say (basically swapping the CF18 eqpt into the Aussie Hornet). There is a cost to that.

That's why it could be cheaper, by example, to just swap the wings for one particular frame. No other eqpt upgrade would then be needed. That particular Aussie Hornet become then a part donnor.

Each frame might be different.

The exact parts swapping / or eqpt upgrade plan will be drafted for each frame, before the contract is signed. (it will also dictate which frame is procured).

(Pls note that my career was in the army, not the Air Force. Some of the infos I got are from my L3 MAS buddies. I would be happy to be corrected if need be)

It is great info, thanks.

I am pretty familiar with the RAAF Hornets and it will be interesting to see what they look to swap. I believe the RAAF Hornets are at a higher capability level than the RCAF jets and some of those systems have never been used by the RCAF so perhaps they will just remove them off and go from there.

ExMilitaryEng

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:46 am

I'm not surprised to hear that the RAAF Hornets might be of higher capability level.

Like you realized, the only reason to swap in our eqpt into those Aussies is due to the existing local logistic infrastructure supporting them (and pilot training).

Would be interesting to see if some of those better Aussies systems could be retained, particularly if similar systems are to equip our future fleet...of F35s ;-)

columba

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 am

Wild thought since Airbus is involved with Bombardier now, Canada buys some Eurofighters as an interim and joins Germany and France in their new fighter study.....if I recall correctly Canada was in the early stages also involved in the F104 replacement group which later led to the development of the Tornado.

Faro

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 am

It looks like the deal wiith Australia is well and truly done:

"We received a formal offer from the government of Australia and we intend to pursue it," Canadian Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan said at a news conference.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/12/news/canada-trudeau-boeing-hornet-deal/index.html

CSeries, Lumber and dairy trade war considerations have driven the decision it seems, not a good thing...

Faro

Ozair

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:56 am

Faro wrote:
It looks like the deal wiith Australia is well and truly done:

Faro

Supported by a media release from the Australian Government,

Minister for Defence, Senator the Hon Marise Payne, today announced the Government has agreed to the sale of 18 Royal Australian Air Force F/A-18 A/B Classic Hornets to the Government of Canada.

The offer follows an expression of interest from the Canadian Government received in September. The sale of the aircraft and associated spares remains subject to final negotiations and Country of Origin export approvals.

Defence plans to withdraw its fleet of F/A-18A/B Classic Hornets from service by 2022, which will be progressively replaced by the F-35A Joint Strike Fighter, Australia's new fifth-generation air combat capability.

Minister Payne spoke with her Canadian counterpart, Minister for National Defence Harjit Sajjan, to welcome the sale.

“Australia greatly values our longstanding and broad bilateral defence relationship with Canada, and this decision is another example of our close and strong partnership,” Minister Payne said.

“The aircraft will supplement Canada’s existing fleet as it develops and implements its plan to replace the Royal Canadian Air Force fighter jet fleet.

Transfer of the first two aircraft is expected to occur from the first half of 2019, in line with the current plan to transition to the Joint Strike Fighter.

Australia’s first two Joint Strike Fighters are expected to arrive in Australia at the end of 2018.

So the first two aircraft are scheduled to arrive in Canada in 2019 with the last transferred by 2022.

Ozair

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 am

columba wrote:
Wild thought since Airbus is involved with Bombardier now, Canada buys some Eurofighters as an interim and joins Germany and France in their new fighter study.....if I recall correctly Canada was in the early stages also involved in the F104 replacement group which later led to the development of the Tornado.

Won't happen at least in that way, the Canadian Government is now committed to an open and fair competition.

Eurofighter probably has every intention of bidding for that tender and perhaps they can offer work on the next Europeon fighter jet as an industrial offset... but I think it would be premature for Canada to take any offer on potential work. If Canada do select the Eurofighter they would have far more airframe available to not need fleet replacement, nor do they intend to operate a two fighter jet fleet, so the next European fighter doesn't really fit their timeline.

Ozair

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Canada clearly hasn’t changed their intent to acquire second hand RAAF Hornets, now looking to acquire an additional seven more. The new airframes though will be used for ground work, testing and spare parts.

Canada requests seven additional Australian Hornets

In February, Ottawa requested seven examples for use in non-flying activities such as software testing, static training, and spares, says Australia’s Department of Defence.

The deal is subject to US export controls. If approved, it will bring to 25 the number of former RAAF Hornets sold to Ottawa. Should export approvals be received, negotiations would determine delivery timings.
In December 2017, Canberra confirmed that it will sell Ottawa 18 F/A-18 A/B Hornets for an undisclosed sum.

The first two “classic” Hornets will be delivered to Canada in 2019, at which point the Royal Australian Air Force’s transition to the Lockheed Martin F-35 will be well underway.

The Royal Canadian Air Force requires airframes to fill a capability gap during a pending process to obtain 88 new combat aircraft to replace its 85 Boeing CF-18 A/B fighters.

In February 2018, Ottawa announced that five bidders – Boeing, Dassault, Eurofighter, Lockheed Martin, and Saab – are eligible to replace the CF-18s.

Canada’s previous Harper government had selected the F-35 to replace the CF-18 fleet in 2009, but in 2015 the incoming Trudeau government cancelled this. Initially, the RCAF announced plans to buy 24 F/A-18E/Fs as an interim solution, then select a permanent CF-18 replacement in the early 2020s.

The Boeing deal fell through, however, amid Boeing’s (ultimately unsuccessful) trade complaint with the US Commerce Department against Canadian aircraft manufacturer Bombardier over allegedly unfair pricing on a sale of CSeries aircraft to Delta Air Lines. The Canadian government reacted strongly against Boeing, cancelling the interim fighter deal.

The RAAF operates 55 single seat F/A-18As and 16 two-seat F/A-18Bs that were acquired in the 1980s. This fleet will be retired by 2022 in favour of the F-35A, of which Canberra has committed to 72 examples.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ts-449924/

Ozair

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 pm

While the new fighter selection process continues Canada also is moving ahead with the acquisition of ex RAAF Hornets.

U.S. approves Canada's purchase of used Australia fighter jets - deal to be completed by end of year

"The U.S. government has approved Canada’s purchase of used F-18 fighter jets from Australia, paving the way for the deal to be completed by the end of the year. The sign-off from the Americans was needed because the aircraft were built in the U.S. with U.S. technology.

Dan Le Bouthillier of the Department of National Defence said Friday negotiations with Australia over the sale of the 25 used fighter jets is on-going. “Should all negotiations and approvals move forward as planned, aircraft would start arriving in Canada in 2019, and the project remains on track to achieve this milestone,” he said. “The delivery plan, including mode of delivery, will be finalized once negotiations are complete and the aircraft being purchased are selected.”...

...The exact cost of purchasing the 25 aircraft, along with weapons and other equipment, is not yet known, Procurement Minister Carla Qualtrough pointed out earlier this year. The Liberal government has set aside up to $500 million for the project....

...Finn [Department of National Defence’s assistant deputy minister of materiel] indicated the DND wants to have the deal in place by the end of this year. “The idea of firming this up in the fall of 2018 was for the start of delivery of the two first aircraft to be next summer, and then quickly beyond it,” he added.

The federal government has confirmed the Australian aircraft will be operating alongside the RCAF’s other CF-18s at Bagotville, Que., and Cold Lake, Alta. “The aircraft will be employed at 3 Wing Bagotville and 4 Wing Cold Lake,” a government official noted. “DND is currently reviewing infrastructure requirements to accommodate the additional aircraft. Any modifications are expected to be minimal as the supplemental jets are of similar age and design to the CF-18.”…"

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics ... 6666d4cdcf

ThePointblank

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:58 am

It appears the first Australian F/A-18's will start arriving in Canada this spring:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/austra ... -1.4966564

The Canadian government has completed a deal to purchase Australia's old F-18 fighter jets and the first of the 25 used jets should arrive this spring, the Department of National Defence confirms.

The Trudeau government announced back in 2017 that it would buy 18 used Australian F-18s as an interim measure to bolster the air force until the entire Canadian fleet of CF-18s is replaced, beginning in the mid-2020s.

The other seven Australian jets it bought will be used for testing and spare parts.

The Australians had to get permission from the U.S. to sell the planes because they were manufactured in the States, but officials with Defence said the deal between Canada and Australia was finalized in November.

First pair will arrive in Canada this spring and be operational by this summer, while the second group will arrive in Canada later this year.

ThePointblank

Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:49 am

This screen shot of a Facebook rant has been making the rounds on various military forums regarding the Australian Hornet purchase:

https://imgur.com/zKM5FxR

I can say I would not disagree with this person.

ExMilitaryEng

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:25 pm

"There is no capability gap and we don't have the additional pilots and technicians to operate these aircrafts" is again the key here.

We indeed never needed those interim aircrafts (SH or used Aussie's) in the first place; should just carry on with the procurement of the real thing ASAP. (And we would not be losing all those experienced personnel who don't see the light at the end of the tunnel...)

ThePointblank

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:30 am

First two ex-RAAF Hornets have arrived in Canada:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-nat ... -lake.html

Looks like tail numbers A21-53 and A21-55.

A quick picture overview of the mods:

Combat Camera has the following videos of their arrival and handover:

http://www.combatcamera.ca/coldlakeimag ... 41-B01.mp4

http://www.combatcamera.ca/coldlakeimag ... 41-B02.mp4

Ozair

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:42 am

ThePointblank wrote:
First two ex-RAAF Hornets have arrived in Canada:

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-nat ... -lake.html

Looks like tail numbers A21-53 and A21-55.

A quick picture overview of the mods:

Combat Camera has the following videos of their arrival and handover:

http://www.combatcamera.ca/coldlakeimag ... 41-B02.mp4

Impressive that they flew directly from Red Flag 19-1 to Cold Lake. I was expecting them to remove some of the subsystems before they arrived but I suppose that either may occur in Canada or the subsystems will be left for the Canadians to deal with.

ThePointblank

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:05 am

It appears the government may have underestimated the cost of the interim Hornet purchase by $200 million:

https://www.pbo-dpb.gc.ca/en/blog/news/ ... 8_aircraft

This report provides an independent estimate of the impact of the costs of Canada’s procurement of 18 Australian F/A-18 aircraft on the federal budget. This estimate is for a total life cycle cost, thus taking into consideration the total cost of project development, acquisition, operations and sustainment, and disposal of the additional aircraft.

The findings of this report are as follows: the risk-adjusted life cycle cost estimate of the Interim Fighter Capability Project is approximately $1.09 billion, with a low-end estimate of $1.08 billion and a high-end estimate of $1.15 billion. Breaking this down into the project’s phases, PBO has estimated a Development phase cost of $12.5 million, an Acquisition phase cost of $311.5 million, an Operations and Sustainment phase cost of $756.5 million, and a Disposal phase cost of $11 million.

The total estimated life cycle cost of 1.09 billion is some 22% higher than the Department of National Defence (DND) estimate. This is largely driven by costs in the operations and sustainment phase, where the PBO has estimated life extension and upgrade costs that are approximately $120M higher than DND’s.

SuperiorPilotMe

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:10 am

ThePointblank wrote:
This screen shot of a Facebook rant has been making the rounds on various military forums regarding the

I can say I would not disagree with this person.

True especially since anonymous posts on Facebook are absolutely credible it’s not like we have any political or election controversies suggesting otherwise.

texl1649

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 pm

This sure does have the stench, regardless of any political perspectives, of a miserable attempt to expensively kick the can down the road. I can't remember another 1st world air force ever purchasing used tac aircraft and trying to outfit them for substantially front line service before. Sure, maybe in the lend-lease era (WW2)...

ThePointblank

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:28 am

texl1649 wrote:
This sure does have the stench, regardless of any political perspectives, of a miserable attempt to expensively kick the can down the road. I can't remember another 1st world air force ever purchasing used tac aircraft and trying to outfit them for substantially front line service before. Sure, maybe in the lend-lease era (WW2)...

That's effectively what the Auditor General said...

And the work involved isn't going to be easy; the actual list of work to bring them to RCAF specifications is actually quite long, and involves some fairly significant bits of work, including the replacement of the ejection seat, reloading of aircraft software, plus a corrosion survey.

Oh, and apparently, someone mentioned on another forum that the engines need to be pulled and sent back to Australia; we only paid to buy the airframes, the engines were not included in the price paid to the Australians. We'll need to scrounge up some engines for these birds. :shock: :roll:

ThePointblank

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 am

The DND is indicating that 7 of the planned Hornet's to be bought from the RAAF as spares may not be needed in the end:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national ... ment-chief

Canada is buying 25 used F-18s from Australia, with 18 of those to be flown and seven to be either stripped down for parts or used for testing. The aircraft to be flown will augment the existing RCAF CF-18 fleet until a new generation fighter jet can be purchased.

But Pat Finn, the Department of National Defence’s Assistant Deputy Minister for Materiel, said there may be no need for the seven F-18s. “The seven, whether or not we actually take them at this point, we’re still looking at that,” Finn recently told the Commons defence committee. “What we’re actually finding is the number of spares that they’ve been able to provide to us is more than adequate. Rather than take aircraft apart and go through that cost, we’re taking the spares. We may not, in fact, at this point look at any of the seven.”

It is unclear whether there will be a reduction in the cost of the purchase or the overall project cost if the seven airframes are not acquired.

Also, my earlier comment about hearing that the engines are being sent back to Australia is partially correct; the engines from the first two birds delivered earlier are going back to Australia, as the Australians need the engines to support operations. However, the Australians intend on sending an equivalent number of engines back at a later date.

Ozair

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:03 am

The first two RAAF jets handed over are now flying in RCAF colours with more jets expected and the whole classic Hornet fleet to undergo a 1.5 billion upgrade program to keep them capable to 2032.

First used Australian fighter jets now flying in Canadian colours, plans underway to extend jet fleet to 2032

The first two fighter jets purchased from Australia are now operational and plans are underway to upgrade those and other jets to keep the country’s CF-18 fleet in the air until 2032.

The upgrade program, which will include improvements to navigation systems, communications and other systems, and eventually a new series of weapons and other combat enhancements for a smaller number of planes, could cost up to $1.5 billion, said Brig.-Gen. Todd Balfe, the Canadian military’s fighter capability special advisor.

The first phase involving navigation and communications improvements will allow 94 fighter jets , which include the 18 used planes from Australia, to meet new regulations to fly in civilian airspace. New weapons and other changes to boost combat capability will be added later to a smaller number of jets as the life of the CF-18 fleet is stretched out to 2032.

The jets are expected to keep flying to deal with any gap as the Royal Canadian Air Forces receives 88 new generation fighters at a cost of $19 billion.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/fi ... et-to-2032

art

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Ozair wrote:
The first two RAAF jets handed over are now flying in RCAF colours with more jets expected and the whole classic Hornet fleet to undergo a 1.5 billion upgrade program to keep them capable to 2032.

The jets are expected to keep flying to deal with any gap as the Royal Canadian Air Forces receives 88 new generation fighters at a cost of $19 billion.

Is the $19 billion figure some kind of guess? I don't see how a cost can be given if the type has not been selected.

YIMBY

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:16 pm

art wrote:
Ozair wrote:

Is the $19 billion figure some kind of guess? I don't see how a cost can be given if the type has not been selected.

Of course it can, just make the quantity variable, maybe also quality.

Ozair

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:23 pm

art wrote:
Ozair wrote:

I believe it is the top end figure for the acquisition. The bid covers the acquisition of 88 aircraft including support, spares, simulators, infrastructure etc. More info in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1380973