Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Superunkown
Topic Author

Any mil project on time, on budget?

Wed May 10, 2017 1:01 am

So I was simply wondering if there ever was a MAJOR military project which didn't go overbudget and arrived later than agreed (because these two always seem to come along). I am mostly referring to new planes or ships, big, multi billion dollar projects...

LightningZ71

Re: Any mil project on time, on budget?

Wed May 10, 2017 1:16 am

If I remember correctly, the Super Hornet was supposedly early/on time and under budget.

LMP737

Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 am

The F-14D program was on schedule and under budget.

bikerthai

Wed May 10, 2017 2:17 pm

The P-8A is on time and on budget for the most part. Some functionalities were delayed because of design issues and incremental changes, but overall the program is saving enough money that talk abounds about buying more frames. The program is also responsive enough that they were able to pull frames forward or backward (to accommodate foreign military sales).

Currently most frames deliveries are running at about a month ahead of contract dates.

bt

angad84

Wed May 10, 2017 7:57 pm

bikerthai wrote:
The P-8A is on time and on budget for the most part. Some functionalities were delayed because of design issues and incremental changes, but overall the program is saving enough money that talk abounds about buying more frames. The program is also responsive enough that they were able to pull frames forward or backward (to accommodate foreign military sales).

Currently most frames deliveries are running at about a month ahead of contract dates.

bt

I'll say. Even the somewhat more bespoke P-8I ran on budget and early for the Indian Navy. After decades of dealing with the Russians, I can tell you they were ecstatic.

bikerthai

Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm

angad84 wrote:
I'll say. Even the somewhat more bespoke P-8I ran on budget and early for the Indian Navy.

Good to hear. With the second batch of P-8I for the Indian Navy coming, the decision to buy the P-8I in order to maintain some commonality with the US Navy is paying off. The mission computing suite upgrade that was incorporated with the US P-8A a couple of years back will be included with the new frames. Let the US Navy pay for the development and get the system at a reasonable price . . . even if it came with a significant mark-up :dollarsign: :devil:
bt

CX747

Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 pm

F-14D was on time and under budget.

Revelation

Fri May 19, 2017 12:42 am

Superunkown wrote:
So I was simply wondering if there ever was a MAJOR military project which didn't go overbudget and arrived later than agreed (because these two always seem to come along). I am mostly referring to new planes or ships, big, multi billion dollar projects...

Not at all new, but back in the 50s the U2 program was coming in far under budget, and since it was a CIA program with little supervision they didn't know how to give back the money, so the decision was to build one more aircraft than ordered. Therefore, the program came in on time and on budget with one extra aircraft being delivered! I guess that came in handy after Gary Powers unfortunate flight.. Kelly Johnson said the payments were being sent as checks to his personal address to try to avoid anyone knowing what the money was being spent on. Ah, the good old days! This info comes from his autobiography, which is an excellent read.

iamlucky13

Fri May 19, 2017 6:20 am

I haven't reviewed the full context of this info, but the GAO, in one of their regular DoD program reviews, has a table comparing the initial projected cost and current cost of several in-progress acquisition programs. See page 190 here:
http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/676281.pdf

The programs that show negative changes in cost figures seem to mostly be smaller or incremental improvement programs, such as the AIM-9X block II.

The info is misleading on some of the programs. For the C-130J, for example, the 1575% program cost increase is mostly because of a huge increase in planned quantity compared to the first full estimate that was clearly not corrected for.

spudh

Fri May 19, 2017 7:12 am

I'm pretty certain that the A-10 was on time and under budget

Superunkown
Topic Author

Tue May 30, 2017 12:20 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
I haven't reviewed the full context of this info, but the GAO, in one of their regular DoD program reviews, has a table comparing the initial projected cost and current cost of several in-progress acquisition programs. See page 190 here:
http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/676281.pdf

The programs that show negative changes in cost figures seem to mostly be smaller or incremental improvement programs, such as the AIM-9X block II.

The info is misleading on some of the programs. For the C-130J, for example, the 1575% program cost increase is mostly because of a huge increase in planned quantity compared to the first full estimate that was clearly not corrected for.

That PDF is a nice read (well, at least the summary). Thanks a lot!

ThePointblank

Tue May 30, 2017 2:14 am

spudh wrote:
I'm pretty certain that the A-10 was on time and under budget

However, the A-10 missed a number of performance requirements to do so, including a critical fatigue life requirement.