VSMUT
Topic Author
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Bulgaria selects Gripen

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:08 pm

http://www.janes.com/article/69855/bulg ... for-gripen

Bulgaria has selected the Saab Gripen as its new future fighter aircraft, the country's interim deputy prime minister reportedly announced on 26 April.

In apparently securing selection, the Gripen beat-off competition from the Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon, which Portugal was offering second-hand, and from the Eurofighter Typhoon, surplus models of which were being offered by Italy.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 7394
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Nice choice.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
LightningZ71
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Of note, this is for the existing C/D model, which was price matched against the competing offer of refurbished F-16s from Portugal. This is requiring SAAB to return capabilities for C/D production that were in the process of removal and being replaced for E model production. Also, the current agreement appears to be for 8 units and support.
 
angad84
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:20 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
Of note, this is for the existing C/D model, which was price matched against the competing offer of refurbished F-16s from Portugal. This is requiring SAAB to return capabilities for C/D production that were in the process of removal and being replaced for E model production. Also, the current agreement appears to be for 8 units and support.


Nope. When I was there last year they were putting together a bunch of new-build C/Ds because they were confident they could place them in short order. I assume those were for this order, plus other potentials coming up shortly (Croatia, Botswana etc). I don't think a company like Saab can afford to mess with production -- it may well be cheaper to build frames that don't get taken up or have to be sold at a discount rather than mess with the line.

Cheers
A
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 7394
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 pm

angad84 wrote:
LightningZ71 wrote:
Of note, this is for the existing C/D model, which was price matched against the competing offer of refurbished F-16s from Portugal. This is requiring SAAB to return capabilities for C/D production that were in the process of removal and being replaced for E model production. Also, the current agreement appears to be for 8 units and support.


Nope. When I was there last year they were putting together a bunch of new-build C/Ds because they were confident they could place them in short order. I assume those were for this order, plus other potentials coming up shortly (Croatia, Botswana etc). I don't think a company like Saab can afford to mess with production -- it may well be cheaper to build frames that don't get taken up or have to be sold at a discount rather than mess with the line.

Cheers
A


how many "white" tails did SAAB produce?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
VSMUT
Topic Author
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
Of note, this is for the existing C/D model, which was price matched against the competing offer of refurbished F-16s from Portugal. This is requiring SAAB to return capabilities for C/D production that were in the process of removal and being replaced for E model production. Also, the current agreement appears to be for 8 units and support.


SAAB doesnt have a big and unflexible production-line like what LM uses for the JSF. They can build pretty much anything there is demand for in the same building. They did it in the past too, like when Denmark decided to get 5 extra F-35s after the series production ended.
 
LightningZ71
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 am

Apparently the source article was amiss then. Either way, the C/D is not a bad plane, just a bit more limited.
 
User avatar
SAS A340
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:59 am

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 am

Great news :)
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!
 
User avatar
AirlineCritic
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Congratulations!
 
prebennorholm
Posts: 6843
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:25 am

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:23 am

VSMUT wrote:
SAAB doesnt have a big and unflexible production-line like what LM uses for the JSF. They can build pretty much anything there is demand for in the same building. They did it in the past too, like when Denmark decided to get 5 extra F-35s after the series production ended.

That was 42 years ago, and they came at roughly double price. Maybe a few things have changed at SAAB during the last 42 years, maybe not. :o

The extra 5 planes were two seat trainers. The reason was that the Lockheed T-33 was retired, and wasn't replaced with a dedicated trainer. That put an extra burden on the existing 6 two seaters, even if most of the initial jet training was done in Canada or USA.

Extra TF-100F and TF-104G were bought second hand for the same reason.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs
 
VSMUT
Topic Author
Posts: 2126
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:50 am

prebennorholm wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
SAAB doesnt have a big and unflexible production-line like what LM uses for the JSF. They can build pretty much anything there is demand for in the same building. They did it in the past too, like when Denmark decided to get 5 extra F-35s after the series production ended.

That was 42 years ago, and they came at roughly double price. Maybe a few things have changed at SAAB during the last 42 years, maybe not. :o



If anything, SAABs production setup has only become more flexible since.
 
angad84
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:45 am

VSMUT wrote:
prebennorholm wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
SAAB doesnt have a big and unflexible production-line like what LM uses for the JSF. They can build pretty much anything there is demand for in the same building. They did it in the past too, like when Denmark decided to get 5 extra F-35s after the series production ended.

That was 42 years ago, and they came at roughly double price. Maybe a few things have changed at SAAB during the last 42 years, maybe not. :o



If anything, SAABs production setup has only become more flexible since.

Maybe FAL, but supply chain does not like stuff like this, and the Gripen is heavily subcontracted.

There is a reason the company elected to build white tails instead of running the C/D line in fits and starts.
 
Ozair
Posts: 3216
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:35 am

The on again off again Bulgaria contest continues. Apparently they are keen on new build F-16s but both Lm and Saab have bene offering a lot of domestic incentives.

Bulgarian Leader Favors U.S. Jets to Replace MiGs

Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov says U.S. F-16 fighter jets are the best choice to replace the Balkan NATO member’s aging fleet of Soviet-designed MiG-29s.

Borisov spoke on December 14 before the second day of an EU summit in Sofia.

Bulgaria has budgeted 900 million euros ($1 billion) for the purchase of at least eight fighter jets.

The Defense Ministry is reviewing offers from the United States for new Lockheed Martin F-16s and Boeing F-18s, new Gripen jets from Sweden, and used Eurofighters from Italy.

Borisov told reporters he did not want to influence the process, but he said that "from what I have heard from the pilots, a new F-16 is a significantly better aircraft than all the rest that are on offer."

Borisov and Defense Minister Krasimir Karakachanov are to hold separate talks on December 15 with U.S. Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan, who arrived in Sofia on December 14 as part of a tour of Central Europe and the Western Balkans to shore up support against what U.S. officials call “Russia’s aggression on the region.”

Sullivan on December 13 attended the signing of an agreement under which Slovakia is to buy 14 F-16 jets from Lockheed Martin as it seeks to replace its Soviet MiG-29 jets.

"Lockheed Martin has made what I think is a very attractive proposal [to Bulgaria] for the sale of fighter aircraft that other NATO allies have purchased that would make those aircraft, if purchased here, interoperable with those NATO partners," Sullivan said.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... g_29s.html

Some further background on the new competition is avilable here, http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article ... 10-01-2018
 
mig21umd
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:44 am

Touch off topic but related a bit too. Croatia selected 12 F-16 Barak's last year from Israel (they were up against the Gripen in the end) but the deal has run into a bit of a big hurdle the past few weeks, (Lockheed Martin and the USA). They are claiming Israel unfairly offered boosted up with modern tech F-16's at a third of the cost against what was one of the final 5 bidders the F-16 block 70/72.

I wonder if this swayed the decision away from upgraded Portuguese F-16's (have they ever been upgraded or are they just refurbished) as they could have faced a similar problem?

Apparently the US wants the F-16 to be delivered to Croatia the way the were delivered to Israel, so minus all the upgrades. Croatia is demanding a solution be found by year end otherwise they could cancel the deal but Croatia seem to want the aircraft they originally agreed to with Israel or again, the deal could be in jeopardy meaning Israel and the US have to find a solution which would allow the original deal to go ahead without Croatia incurring any extra costs.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you long to return
 
Ozair
Posts: 3216
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Bulgaria selects Gripen

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:34 am

Saab looks to have improved their offer by adding an additional couple of aircraft, going from eight to ten, for their proposal.

In the context of this order, I don’t see the used Tranche One Eurofighters having a chance against new F-16s, F-18s or Gripens.

Saab sweetens offer to supply Gripen fighter jets to Bulgaria
Sweden's Saab said on Friday that it submitted an improved offer for supply of new Gripen C/D fighter jets to Bulgaria, and is now proposing to deliver 10 jets instead of the initially proposed eight.
"The optimised offer meets all mandatory requirements set by Bulgaria, is within the limits of the set budget and the first jets will be delivered within 24 months after the contract has been signed," Saab said in a statement.

The new offer will significantly improve the operating capabilities of the Bulgarian Air Force, Saab noted.

In October, Saab offered to supply eight new Gripen C/D fighter jets equipped with the newest MS20 configuration to Bulgaria in response to the request for proposals received from the defence ministry in Sofia.

The Gripen Material System 20 (MS20) capability enhancement for Gripen C-series involves both hardware and software upgrades, providing improvements and new functionality both in terms of the aircraft itself and the ancillary support and training systems, according to the manufacturer.

Also in October, Bulgaria's defence ministry said that the US, Sweden and Italy have responded to Bulgaria's request for proposals for supply of up to 16 fighter jets to replace its ageing fleet of Russian-made combat aircraft. The US offered to supply new F-16 or F-18 jets, while Italy offered used Eurofighter aircraft.

In June, Bulgaria’s parliament approved a plan for the acquisition of NATO-compatible combat aircraft in two stages. The first stage envisages the purchase of no less than eight aircraft for an estimated total of some 1.8 billion levs ($1.1 billion/ 920.3 million euro).

NATO said earlier this year that it expects Bulgaria's defence spending to rise to 1.56% of the country's GDP in 2018, from an estimated 1.27% in 2017. Bulgaria's defence spending amounted to 1.26% of GDP in 2016. At the NATO summit in Wales in 2014, Bulgaria committed to a defence spending target of 2% of GDP, to be reached in the following 10 years.

https://seenews.com/news/saab-sweetens- ... ria-636748

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: trijetsonly and 14 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos