Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HaveBlue
Topic Author

Best Aviation Reading

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:44 am

Over the years I've seen some great recommendations on certain specific aviation books, here's what I'm looking for advice on. Best SR-71 book (I know Sled Driver is tops but what else?), best F-14 book, best XB-70 book and some opinions on great Vietnam era or after fighter aircraft books, all of this being non-fiction of course.

I just finished reading 'Red Eagles - Americas Secret MiG's' and loved it and it drew me back into the desire to read some rich histories of these amazing aircraft I mentioned.

Any other aviation related non fiction that you all are a fan of are welcome as well, I'm interested into seeing what you all think is a good read!

Thank you in advance!

HaveBlue
Topic Author

Re: Best Aviation Reading

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:22 am

I've seen book recommendations before, scattered amongst the threads, surely somebody has a book or two they can recommend? :)

kewals

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:41 am

If you are after SR-71 book, Sled Driver has very good photos but I would not rate it top overall at all I'm afraid. For overall overview from insider point of view plus technical insights how to actually fly it, my top pick is Rich Graham SR-71 Revealed The inside story (little pictures, a lot of text). To see more historian approach to the Blackbird programme it has to be the "bible" Paul Crickmore Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. Beyond the secret mission - loved the details of the flights from Kadena.
Another gem for me is From rainbow to gusto by Paul Suhler - this is specifically stealth development history of U-2 and Blackbird in the late 50's and early 60's - so not a programme overview, but it is fascinating to see how they developed and tested the ideas at the beginning of the stealth journey.
I also enjoyed immensely Skunk Works by Ben Rich - not Blackbird specific but the way Ben tells the story is great.

spudh

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:50 am

Hi Haveblue,

I'll try and resurrect that old thread we had going a few years back, lots of great reads in it.
In the meantime have you read 'Roger Ball' by Donald E. Auten ISBN 978-1-60528-005-9
It's a biography about John Monroe "Hawk" Smith who was a TOPGUN instructor. Really good read for any F-14 buff like you

TUGMASTER

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:46 am

CHICKENHAWK by Robert Mason

Enough said.!!