Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

apfpilot
Topic Author

Operating on another countries Aircraft Carrier

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Question for anyone who might have experience or know the answer. When a foreign Navy operates on another countries Aircraft Carrier do they ferry over their own LSO's and/or any other crew over prior to commencing operations?

For example when a Rafale operates on a US Ship can the US LSO's talk them down? Does the US deck crew know how to hook up and trouble shoot the aircraft prior to launch? Alternatively say a US COD lands on the Charles De Gaulle. Do the French LSO's provide guidance and can the deck crew hook it up and trouble shoot?

Thanks!

Dutchy

Re: Operating on another countries Aircraft Carrier

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Do they operate from each others carriers?

LightningZ71

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Often? No. Occasionally for joint NATO exercises? Yes. I believe that there are pictures of French and English aviation assets operating off of US carriers in the photo gallery here.

flyingturtle

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 pm

The Swiss Air Force has carrier-qualified pilots. They don't have their own landing officers when they visit a USN carrier...

David

Ozair

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
The Swiss Air Force has carrier-qualified pilots. They don't have their own landing officers when they visit a USN carrier...

David

Not quite. The Swiss Air Force doesn't carrier qualify their Hornet pilots, they have pilots who go on exchange who gain carrier qualification while serving with the USN. Same thing for the RAAF, RCAF, RAF etc.

Swiss Hornets, like RAAF, RCAF etc also wouldn't be capable of landing on a US carrier today, well perhaps land but never take off again as they are not maintained to the standard required for carrier ops. All the above pilots fly USN/USMC aircraft when they get their quals.

Dutchy

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 am

LightningZ71 wrote:
Often? No. Occasionally for joint NATO exercises? Yes. I believe that there are pictures of French and English aviation assets operating off of US carriers in the photo gallery here.

I do remember seeing the Rafale M on American carriers, but, I thought, was because of trails within the scope of the development of the M. But operational?

Argentina Super Etendard used to do practice touch and go's on American carriers to keep their skills after they decommissioned their carrier. But no landings since the Super Etendard use a different system to be catapulted of the carrier. Don't know if they do the same with the A-4AR?

LightningZ71

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 am

Operational is kind of vague...

Https://theaviationist.com/2015/03/06/f ... nson-gulf/

The raffle is apparently often on US carriers, at least for practice. I don't think that they launch strikes from them. As for vertol craft, there isn't much stopping them.

apfpilot
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:51 am

Here are a couple of examples - COD (C-2) on the Charles De Gaulle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ORDe_5I-JE)
Rafale on the USS Truman (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qstMCOji58)
F/A-18 on the Charles De Gaulle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st85Z4mrExc)

Obviously it isn't a common event which I would think would reinforce the idea that the LSO/trouble shooters have to be trucked over.

VSMUT

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:41 pm

I watched a documentary about the USS George Bush during her sea trials and first trip around South America into the Pacific, and along the way the Brazilian navy practiced with her using their A-4 Skyhawks.

Aesma

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 am

I've read that the Rafale is the only non-US origin aircraft able to use US carriers, and the CDG the only non-US carrier able to use US aircraft.

Having US catapults might help.

Ozair

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Aesma wrote:
I've read that the Rafale is the only non-US origin aircraft able to use US carriers, and the CDG the only non-US carrier able to use US aircraft.

Having US catapults might help.

Does anyone else produce CATOBAR aircraft other than France? The Super Etendard has sailed its last cruise so the Rafale is now the only non-US CATOBAR aircraft in service.

fortytwoeyes

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:29 pm

apfpilot wrote:
F/A-18 on the Charles De Gaulle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st85Z4mrExc)

Seems like at least the refueling crew for the Hornets was flown in, if I read the French subtitles right.

aklrno

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:48 am

Now that LSOs with paddles have been replaced by lights, do all navies use the same light configuration? Back in the old LSO with paddle days didn't the US and British LSOs use different signals (or voice commands) (i.e. when one indicated "high" he meant the aircraft was above the glide path but the other was signaling "you must go higher")? Can some old aviator comment on this?