Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vandut
Topic Author

USAF WC-135 emergency landing in Aceh, Indonesia

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 am

Does anyone recognize this flawed 707 emergency landing?

An American military plane made an emergency landing at an airport in Indonesia's Aceh province, an Indonesian air force spokesman said Saturday. There were no injuries.

The U.S. Air Force Boeing 707 requested permission to land Friday after one of its four engines failed, said Air Vice Marshall Jemi Trisonjaya.

He said permission for an emergency landing was granted and several fire trucks and ambulances were deployed to the airport's runway. The plane successfully landed at Sultan Iskandar Muda airport in Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province.

The plane was carrying 20 American military personnel to Kadena Air Base, a U.S. military base in Japan, from a base in Diego Garcia in the central Indian Ocean. The cause of the plane's engine failure was unclear.\

Trisonjaya said no one aboard the plane was injured. (source : https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/ ... -indonesia)

Reason for the emergency landing : http://www.en.netralnews.com/news/curre ... ng.in.aceh

Only God knows why this plane made an emergency landing in a non-US airbase, since it's a military designation

Thai77w

Re: USAF WC-135 emergency landing in Aceh, Indonesia

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:39 am

The word "Emergency" generally indicates the urgency they had to land.

cheeken

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 am

I always thought a 4-holer didn't need to make an emergency landing if one engine was out...

scbriml

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:53 pm

vandut wrote:

I'm just waiting for a pedant to point out that the C-135 is not in fact a 707. :duck:

Moose135

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:57 pm

scbriml wrote:
vandut wrote:

I'm just waiting for a pedant to point out that the C-135 is not in fact a 707. :duck:

I was actually surprised that the article in the Air Force Times made that mistake. It is most definitely a -135, not a 707!

vandut
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Thai77w wrote:
The word "Emergency" generally indicates the urgency they had to land.

Thanks for the ubiquitous English lesson, dude. My question is WHY did the plane make such emergency landing?

vandut
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Moose135 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
vandut wrote:

I was actually surprised that the article in the Air Force Times made that mistake. It is most definitely a -135, not a 707!

It's supposedly WC-135, and being an online mags, the article wen through without supervision of the editor...

refer to this: http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/FactSheets/Di ... oenix.aspx

I'm surprised that 707 is still used in USAF!

Tugger

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:40 pm

cheeken wrote:
I always thought a 4-holer didn't need to make an emergency landing if one engine was out...

Well it all depends, such as if the one that is out is on fire then.... :spin:

Tugg

ramair

Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:03 pm

My guess would be it's SOP for the Air Force to land at the nearest suitable airport if you lose an engine. Could you make it to Japan on 3 engines, probably, but why risk it? The author is also assuming that whatever caused the one engine to fail won't cause the rest to fail. There are numerous accidents that have resulted from pilots continuing to fly an airplane after something when wrong thinking things would be fine. Alaska Airlines Flight 261 comes to mind. Finally, I ask the author how many times have you continued to fly to your destination after having an engine fail?

Spacepope

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:04 pm

vandut wrote:
Moose135 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

It's supposedly WC-135, and being an online mags, the article wen through without supervision of the editor...

refer to this: http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/FactSheets/Di ... oenix.aspx

I'm surprised that 707 is still used in USAF!

The only 707s in service with the USAF are the E-3 and E-8 fleets since the TC-18s were retired.

The KC-135 is not a 707. Different fuselage diameter, different wings, different tail, etc.