canyonblue17
Topic Author

Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:18 pm

President Donald Trump made his almost weekly visit to PBI yesterday (3/17). Today a government 757 arrived - from what I have been told - with supply parts to repair something amiss on Air Force One. The nacelle on the right, inside engine was open and several trucks were parked nearby. The 747 in question is 82-8000. Below is a photo I took of it landing at PBI last month.

negative ghostrider the pattern is full

GianiDC

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 pm

If one of the two designated AF1 planes gets maintained does this automatically ground the other plane as well? I would guess yes because they always fly together and with just one Frame you obviously can´t do that.

b747400erf

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 pm

GianiDC wrote:
If one of the two designated AF1 planes gets maintained does this automatically ground the other plane as well? I would guess yes because they always fly together and with just one Frame you obviously can´t do that.

They only fly together on foreign trips. Correct me if I am wrong someone with more knowledge than me.

flyaa757

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Just drove by 15 minutes ago and saw cowling on #3 open. Lots of police and ss nearby. AF2 or a 757 did arrive and is parked on the other side of PBI, but I thought Pence was in town today as well.

BroadwayLimited

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:26 pm

This past August 1, 2016, AF1 came into ATL. I saw an old AF1 (707?), back in 1976 with Gerald Ford, but never the 747 version. I wanted to see the 747 version, so I headed out to ATL to see it.

Anyway, from what I could tell, there was only one AF1 flying into ATL that day. There was indeed an Air Force Cargo Plane parked ahead of time, which I assume had the Presidential Limousine, and other traveling vehicles, but only saw one AF1.

A couple of observations that day. I thought the whole airport would be shut down for his arrival. NOT. He arrived on the North outer most runway, (not sure of the runway number), and that side of the airport was indeed shut down for his arrival. But the South side of the airport, was operating normally. Flights landing and taking off, when he both landed and took off. Again, that totally surprised me.

His runway closed down about 5 minutes before he landed. A vehicle then went up the runway to make sure it was clear for AF1.

Finally, the tower communications between the ATL tower and AF1 were not encrypted. I honestly thought they would be.

FYI...I was sitting at the bar/lunch counter window of the Atlanta Airport Renaissance Hotel watching all of this. A group of Delta employees came to sit at the window and had lunch there also, and was telling me all the logistics of what was happening. They were a big help in learning about what happens when AF1 lands.

canyonblue17
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Vice President Pence was in Jacksonville, FL when the 757 arrived - so I don't believe it was his aircraft - although I did not catch the tail registration.

canyonblue17
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Any idea what it would take for them to have to roll out the Air Force One backup? And how fast they could get it to PBI? I am assuming it is kept on standby for this kind of situation?

Stitch

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:15 pm

BroadwayLimited wrote:
I thought the whole airport would be shut down for his arrival. NOT. He arrived on the North outer most runway, (not sure of the runway number), and that side of the airport was indeed shut down for his arrival. But the South side of the airport, was operating normally. Flights landing and taking off, when he both landed and took off. Again, that totally surprised me.

You can't shut down one of the largest (in terms of traffic) airports in the nation just because a VIP is making an arrival. :)

BroadwayLimited wrote:
Finally, the tower communications between the ATL tower and AF1 were not encrypted. I honestly thought they would be.

That would require the tower to have the necessary equipment to support such communications. And the trained personnel to operate them. There is also the flight safety issue to both Air Force One and all other traffic with making it so that only AF1 can hear tower instructions sent to it while other aircraft are operating at or around the field.

canyonblue17 wrote:
Any idea what it would take for them to have to roll out the Air Force One backup? And how fast they could get it to PBI? I am assuming it is kept on standby for this kind of situation?

Assuming it's not undergoing maintenance itself, I imagine they can have it there same day. Otherwise they can send a C-32 (757), C-40 (737) or C-20 (Gulfstream III).

canyonblue17
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Latest word is there were issues with engines number 2 and 3. Repair work was being done and tests run - but plans being considered to bring in the backup 747 if necessary.

litz

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Stitch wrote:
You can't shut down one of the largest (in terms of traffic) airports in the nation just because a VIP is making an arrival. :)

The words "you can't" don't mean a hill of beans when POTUS is on the move and the Secret Service is involved .. if they wanted it, they'd get it.

Stitch

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

litz wrote:
Stitch wrote:

The words "you can't" don't mean a hill of beans when POTUS is on the move and the Secret Service is involved .. if they wanted it, they'd get it.

Considering the flack Clinton got in 1993 for closing 2 of LAX's 4 runways for an hour (and "getting a haircut" was NOT the reason for the closure), shutting down all four of them would have probably caused more angst than the San Andreas fault letting loose. ;)

737tanker

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

b747400erf wrote:
GianiDC wrote:

They only fly together on foreign trips. Correct me if I am wrong someone with more knowledge than me.

I know that when President Obama was at Ft Bliss (El Paso TX) the backup was at Albuquerque NM

FrmrKSEngr

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 am

If the VC-25 went down for maintenance, the C-32 was probably flown in as the back-up. It would not do to have the president at a remote location with out ready access to an aircraft. You do not always have both VC-25's available, so C-32s are also used as back-up birds.

BravoOne

Wed May 03, 2017 11:14 am

The likelihood of both 747's being used at for a mission is fairly remote. The fact is one of the aircraft is usually down, or in depot maintenance while the other is serviceable. Lets just say if AF One traveled to KSEA for some reason it would be backed up by one of the C32's which would position either at Fairchild AFB, or down south at McChord AFB. I'm sure there is no set in stone policy regarding how these AF One flights are backed up, but to say that the 747 is used for all flights is simply not correct.

petera380

Wed May 03, 2017 11:51 am

Incorrect title. The aircraft in question, 747 is a VC-25. Any air force plane the President is on is call Air Force 1. I believe if he is on a Navy aircraft it's called Marine 1.

BravoOne

Wed May 03, 2017 3:11 pm

petera380 wrote:
Incorrect title. The aircraft in question, 747 is a VC-25. Any air force plane the President is on is call Air Force 1. I believe if he is on a Navy aircraft it's called Marine 1.

I think everyone knows that by now. What is your point?

Moose135

Wed May 03, 2017 3:29 pm

petera380 wrote:
I believe if he is on a Navy aircraft it's called Marine 1.

No, if he is on a Navy aircraft, it is called "Navy 1". It is called "Marine 1" when he is on a Marine Corps aircraft.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

BravoOne

Wed May 03, 2017 4:20 pm

petera380 I miss read your post so please disregard my short reply. Multi tasking:)

737tanker

Sun May 07, 2017 2:54 am

BravoOne wrote:
The likelihood of both 747's being used at for a mission is fairly remote. The fact is one of the aircraft is usually down, or in depot maintenance while the other is serviceable. Lets just say if AF One traveled to KSEA for some reason it would be backed up by one of the C32's which would position either at Fairchild AFB, or down south at McChord AFB. I'm sure there is no set in stone policy regarding how these AF One flights are backed up, but to say that the 747 is used for all flights is simply not correct.

The "spare" 747 will go as a backup to within an hour of the aircraft the President is on. For example when President Obama was at Ft Bliss (next to El Paso) I saw the other 747 was at Albuquerque NM

BravoOne

Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 am

737tanker wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

The "spare" 747 will go as a backup to within an hour of the aircraft the President is on. For example when President Obama was at Ft Bliss (next to El Paso) I saw the other 747 was at Albuquerque NM

Your assumption is wrong and therefore incorrect. That is not the normal policy or procedure. As I said in my original post one of the airplanes is frequently in depot maint and out of service for extended periods of time. The 757 is the normal backup airplane.