canyonblue17
Topic Author
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:18 pm

President Donald Trump made his almost weekly visit to PBI yesterday (3/17). Today a government 757 arrived - from what I have been told - with supply parts to repair something amiss on Air Force One. The nacelle on the right, inside engine was open and several trucks were parked nearby. The 747 in question is 82-8000. Below is a photo I took of it landing at PBI last month.

negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
GianiDC
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 pm

If one of the two designated AF1 planes gets maintained does this automatically ground the other plane as well? I would guess yes because they always fly together and with just one Frame you obviously can´t do that.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3033
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 pm

GianiDC wrote:
If one of the two designated AF1 planes gets maintained does this automatically ground the other plane as well? I would guess yes because they always fly together and with just one Frame you obviously can´t do that.


They only fly together on foreign trips. Correct me if I am wrong someone with more knowledge than me.
 
flyaa757
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 1999 7:12 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Just drove by 15 minutes ago and saw cowling on #3 open. Lots of police and ss nearby. AF2 or a 757 did arrive and is parked on the other side of PBI, but I thought Pence was in town today as well.
 
BroadwayLimited
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:26 pm

This past August 1, 2016, AF1 came into ATL. I saw an old AF1 (707?), back in 1976 with Gerald Ford, but never the 747 version. I wanted to see the 747 version, so I headed out to ATL to see it.

Anyway, from what I could tell, there was only one AF1 flying into ATL that day. There was indeed an Air Force Cargo Plane parked ahead of time, which I assume had the Presidential Limousine, and other traveling vehicles, but only saw one AF1.

A couple of observations that day. I thought the whole airport would be shut down for his arrival. NOT. He arrived on the North outer most runway, (not sure of the runway number), and that side of the airport was indeed shut down for his arrival. But the South side of the airport, was operating normally. Flights landing and taking off, when he both landed and took off. Again, that totally surprised me.

His runway closed down about 5 minutes before he landed. A vehicle then went up the runway to make sure it was clear for AF1.

Finally, the tower communications between the ATL tower and AF1 were not encrypted. I honestly thought they would be.

FYI...I was sitting at the bar/lunch counter window of the Atlanta Airport Renaissance Hotel watching all of this. A group of Delta employees came to sit at the window and had lunch there also, and was telling me all the logistics of what was happening. They were a big help in learning about what happens when AF1 lands.
 
canyonblue17
Topic Author
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Vice President Pence was in Jacksonville, FL when the 757 arrived - so I don't believe it was his aircraft - although I did not catch the tail registration.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
canyonblue17
Topic Author
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Any idea what it would take for them to have to roll out the Air Force One backup? And how fast they could get it to PBI? I am assuming it is kept on standby for this kind of situation?
negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 24638
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:15 pm

BroadwayLimited wrote:
I thought the whole airport would be shut down for his arrival. NOT. He arrived on the North outer most runway, (not sure of the runway number), and that side of the airport was indeed shut down for his arrival. But the South side of the airport, was operating normally. Flights landing and taking off, when he both landed and took off. Again, that totally surprised me.


You can't shut down one of the largest (in terms of traffic) airports in the nation just because a VIP is making an arrival. :)


BroadwayLimited wrote:
Finally, the tower communications between the ATL tower and AF1 were not encrypted. I honestly thought they would be.


That would require the tower to have the necessary equipment to support such communications. And the trained personnel to operate them. There is also the flight safety issue to both Air Force One and all other traffic with making it so that only AF1 can hear tower instructions sent to it while other aircraft are operating at or around the field.

canyonblue17 wrote:
Any idea what it would take for them to have to roll out the Air Force One backup? And how fast they could get it to PBI? I am assuming it is kept on standby for this kind of situation?


Assuming it's not undergoing maintenance itself, I imagine they can have it there same day. Otherwise they can send a C-32 (757), C-40 (737) or C-20 (Gulfstream III).
 
canyonblue17
Topic Author
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:22 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Latest word is there were issues with engines number 2 and 3. Repair work was being done and tests run - but plans being considered to bring in the backup 747 if necessary.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full
 
User avatar
litz
Posts: 2034
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:01 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Stitch wrote:
You can't shut down one of the largest (in terms of traffic) airports in the nation just because a VIP is making an arrival. :)


The words "you can't" don't mean a hill of beans when POTUS is on the move and the Secret Service is involved .. if they wanted it, they'd get it.
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 24638
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

litz wrote:
Stitch wrote:
You can't shut down one of the largest (in terms of traffic) airports in the nation just because a VIP is making an arrival. :)


The words "you can't" don't mean a hill of beans when POTUS is on the move and the Secret Service is involved .. if they wanted it, they'd get it.


Considering the flack Clinton got in 1993 for closing 2 of LAX's 4 runways for an hour (and "getting a haircut" was NOT the reason for the closure), shutting down all four of them would have probably caused more angst than the San Andreas fault letting loose. ;)
 
737tanker
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:47 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

b747400erf wrote:
GianiDC wrote:
If one of the two designated AF1 planes gets maintained does this automatically ground the other plane as well? I would guess yes because they always fly together and with just one Frame you obviously can´t do that.


They only fly together on foreign trips. Correct me if I am wrong someone with more knowledge than me.

I know that when President Obama was at Ft Bliss (El Paso TX) the backup was at Albuquerque NM
 
FrmrKSEngr
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:05 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 am

If the VC-25 went down for maintenance, the C-32 was probably flown in as the back-up. It would not do to have the president at a remote location with out ready access to an aircraft. You do not always have both VC-25's available, so C-32s are also used as back-up birds.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 2240
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Wed May 03, 2017 11:14 am

The likelihood of both 747's being used at for a mission is fairly remote. The fact is one of the aircraft is usually down, or in depot maintenance while the other is serviceable. Lets just say if AF One traveled to KSEA for some reason it would be backed up by one of the C32's which would position either at Fairchild AFB, or down south at McChord AFB. I'm sure there is no set in stone policy regarding how these AF One flights are backed up, but to say that the 747 is used for all flights is simply not correct.
 
petera380
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:35 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Wed May 03, 2017 11:51 am

Incorrect title. The aircraft in question, 747 is a VC-25. Any air force plane the President is on is call Air Force 1. I believe if he is on a Navy aircraft it's called Marine 1.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 2240
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Wed May 03, 2017 3:11 pm

petera380 wrote:
Incorrect title. The aircraft in question, 747 is a VC-25. Any air force plane the President is on is call Air Force 1. I believe if he is on a Navy aircraft it's called Marine 1.


I think everyone knows that by now. What is your point?
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Wed May 03, 2017 3:29 pm

petera380 wrote:
I believe if he is on a Navy aircraft it's called Marine 1.

No, if he is on a Navy aircraft, it is called "Navy 1". It is called "Marine 1" when he is on a Marine Corps aircraft.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!
 
BravoOne
Posts: 2240
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Wed May 03, 2017 4:20 pm

petera380 I miss read your post so please disregard my short reply. Multi tasking:)
 
737tanker
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:47 am

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Sun May 07, 2017 2:54 am

BravoOne wrote:
The likelihood of both 747's being used at for a mission is fairly remote. The fact is one of the aircraft is usually down, or in depot maintenance while the other is serviceable. Lets just say if AF One traveled to KSEA for some reason it would be backed up by one of the C32's which would position either at Fairchild AFB, or down south at McChord AFB. I'm sure there is no set in stone policy regarding how these AF One flights are backed up, but to say that the 747 is used for all flights is simply not correct.

The "spare" 747 will go as a backup to within an hour of the aircraft the President is on. For example when President Obama was at Ft Bliss (next to El Paso) I saw the other 747 was at Albuquerque NM
 
BravoOne
Posts: 2240
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Air Force One gets works done at PBI

Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 am

737tanker wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
The likelihood of both 747's being used at for a mission is fairly remote. The fact is one of the aircraft is usually down, or in depot maintenance while the other is serviceable. Lets just say if AF One traveled to KSEA for some reason it would be backed up by one of the C32's which would position either at Fairchild AFB, or down south at McChord AFB. I'm sure there is no set in stone policy regarding how these AF One flights are backed up, but to say that the 747 is used for all flights is simply not correct.

The "spare" 747 will go as a backup to within an hour of the aircraft the President is on. For example when President Obama was at Ft Bliss (next to El Paso) I saw the other 747 was at Albuquerque NM


Your assumption is wrong and therefore incorrect. That is not the normal policy or procedure. As I said in my original post one of the airplanes is frequently in depot maint and out of service for extended periods of time. The 757 is the normal backup airplane.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos