User avatar
ro1960
Topic Author
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Extra large window on Iran - Air Force 707?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Looking at this photo
I notice something that looks like an extra large window, just above the wingtip. Am I seeing right?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 5876
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Extra large window on Iran - Air Force 707?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes, you are seeing it right. Those 707s were formerly tankers, and has those double windows so the now removed refueling equipment located at the end of the wing was easily visible by observers during tanker operations.
 
User avatar
ro1960
Topic Author
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Extra large window on Iran - Air Force 707?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Polot wrote:
Yes, you are seeing it right. Those 707s were formerly tankers, and has those double windows so the now removed refueling equipment located at the end of the wing was easily visible by observers during tanker operations.


Thanks for the reply. I'd love to see this type of windows as standard on modern airliners!
 
Cunard
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Extra large window on Iran - Air Force 707?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Well modern airliners would then have a totally ineffective stream lined hull if large windows of those proportiones were added, it's all about fuel efficiency as in lighter carbon materials, new wings and blended winglets and you would like to see 'modern airliners' have this particular type of window as 'standard'.
 
User avatar
ro1960
Topic Author
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Extra large window on Iran - Air Force 707?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Cunard wrote:
Well modern airliners would then have a totally ineffective stream lined hull if large windows of those proportiones were added, it's all about fuel efficiency as in lighter carbon materials, new wings and blended winglets and you would like to see 'modern airliners' have this particular type of window as 'standard'.


Just a wish. However if not standard it can be installed as an option on BBJs:

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1349445

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/mebaa-bbj-and-fokker-join-forces-on-panoramic-wind-432131/
 
User avatar
cpd
Posts: 4846
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Extra large window on Iran - Air Force 707?

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 am

ro1960 wrote:
Looking at this photo
I notice something that looks like an extra large window, just above the wingtip. Am I seeing right?


I did see an onboard photo from one of these planes somewhere looking out through this window, quite unique. As others have said, it is for the crew to be able to observe refueling operations as they were happening. Lovely old plane, really beautiful. I still have a soft spot for the 707.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bikerthai, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos