Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planeophilic
Topic Author

India's Record Setting 104- satellite launch all set.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:27 pm

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to conduct the launch of PSLV-C37, with a record payload of 104 Satellites tomorrow.

The launch will take place from Sriharikota Launch Center, Orissa, at 9:28 AM (IST), on the morning of 15th January, 2017.

...Among them are India’s first nanosatellites, the fourth satellite of the Cartosat 2 series and American company Planet’s fleet of 88 Earth-imaging Doves. ISRO chief A.S. Kiran Kumar has said the organisation is not gunning for records as much trying to keep spending down by utilising the PSLV’s full potential to launch as many satellites as possible at a time.

https://thewire.in/108680/satellites-isro-cartosat-doves/

The launch proceedings can be seen live on Doordarshan, and on ISRO's website, http://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c37-cartosat-2-series-satellite/pslv-c37-cartosat-2-series-satellite-live from 9:00 AM (IST) onwards.

Here's hoping for the best!

anshabhi

Re: India's Record Setting 104- satellite launch all set.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:58 am

ISRO's 33 launches have been successful out of 34.
The best thing is there is only one Indian satellite out of 104. 96 are American. 1 Dubai & 1 Israel and a few others.

anshabhi

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:59 am

Successful liftoff!!

anshabhi

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:29 am

Mission Successful :white:

planeophilic
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:36 am

anshabhi wrote:
ISRO's 33 launches have been successful out of 34.
The best thing is there is only one Indian satellite out of 104. 96 are American. 1 Dubai & 1 Israel and a few others.

Yes- this is the best advertisement there could be. As they say- 'The best marketing strategy is to deliver'.

I see a lot more private and commercial JVs for ISRO in the future!

planeophilic
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:38 am

anshabhi wrote:
Mission Successful :white:

A full and complete success. It was riveting to watch on TV. Especially those 7 minutes between Mauritius and Antarctica.

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:27 am

Indian space agency released on-board video of the mission. Very nice. Never knew PSLV had on-board cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJYSmplzXc

zanl188

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Indian space agency released on-board video of the mission. Very nice. Never knew PSLV had on-board cameras.

Cool video. How did they ensure the satellites did not collide?

Francoflier

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:00 pm

A great achievement. Congrats to all involved!

The video reminds me of those old bomb-bay videos of B-52s carpet bombing Vietnam...
Except with satellites.
:crazy:

planeophilic
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:14 pm

zanl188 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

That is, I believe, the chief challenge, rather than the number of satellites, or the weight.
All satellites have oi be given different orbital velocities (initial velocities). Plus the entire rocket stack has to align itself on the inclination at which the individual satellite needs to be. A lot of math!

And that x 104 times.

planeophilic
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Francoflier wrote:
A great achievement. Congrats to all involved!

The video reminds me of those old bomb-bay videos of B-52s carpet bombing Vietnam...
Except with satellites.
:crazy:

hahahaha! Yes- it is a great feat.

anshabhi

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm

zanl188 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

India is now able to retain its best students. There are 2 special universities which develop Space Scientists- IISc and IIST. What you see is the product of some of the best minds. About 250 students are trained right from the under-graduate level, every year.

aviationaware

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:55 pm

LEO is getting more and more cluttered with useless little trash satellites. A client of mine is already complaining about increasing collision hazards. This is getting out of hand.

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 pm

anshabhi wrote:
zanl188 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

India is now able to retain its best students. There are 2 special universities which develop Space Scientists- IISc and IIST. What you see is the product of some of the best minds. About 250 students are trained right from the under-graduate level, every year.

Heard entirely different story, from 10K miles away on the other side of the globe, so take my opinion with boat load of salt. Most ISRO engineers are sourced from public education system from rural Tamil Nadu and Kerala. This is not a elitist, ivy league workforce, particularly not many IIT and IIM recruits.

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:20 pm

aviationaware wrote:
LEO is getting more and more cluttered with useless little trash satellites. A client of mine is already complaining about increasing collision hazards. This is getting out of hand.

Ya, these nano satellites are not going to stay there for decades, also these are pioneers of new technologies, imagine developing a satellite without traditional propulsion to keep it in the orbit.

Some are by university students launched for free.

planeophilic
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:20 pm

aviationaware wrote:

But if you come to think of it, won't these small satellites generate a lot less debris? Also, they would be more susceptible to drag, would decay faster, and burn up faster. Over all, I think they are better for the future, and cheaper- so that poor countries like Africa and South America can finally have their much deserved 'day in the sun'.

Methinks we should get rid of large, bulky US/Russia satellites that are basically debris time bombs just waiting to happen.

planeophilic
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:25 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

Heard entirely different story, from 10K miles away on the other side of the globe, so take my opinion with boat load of salt. Most ISRO engineers are sourced from public education system from rural Tamil Nadu and Kerala. This is not a elitist, ivy league workforce, particularly not many IIT and IIM recruits.

A large percentage of IIT graduates do not even want to remain in India. The route is IIT->Head to US->Settle in US, or, IIT->IIM->Head to US->Settle in US.

Add to that the traditional herd mentality- we have got Civil, Mechanical and Electrical engineers practically hunting for work in the IT Sector. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry wants to have a 'Start- up' today.
ISRO students are increasingly coming from second tier government institutions and even some private ones. Also, be it known that in India, unlike most other countries, the government inst. are way better than the private ones in quality of teaching, quality of faculty, infrastructure, and research.

anshabhi

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:33 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

I don't believe in it! Maybe engineers who finally assembe rockets and satellites come from small colleges, but the scientists who design them are developed by these two institutes.
IIST is one of the most difficult institutes to get into. Its cutoffs lie below 500 rank in JEE Advanced, and IISc has about 3500 cutoff.

anshabhi

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 am

In Times of India yesterday:

BawliBooch

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:46 am

anshabhi wrote:

That is totally incorrect, and I am being polite.

An overwhelming proportion of ISRO/DRDO scientists are graduates from Engineering & Science colleges from South India - especially Tamil Nadu. Very few IISc/IIT grads - overwhelming number of those still prefer to take a flight out. And we cant blame them.

BawliBooch

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:49 am

anshabhi wrote:
I don't believe in it! Maybe engineers who finally assembe rockets and satellites come from small colleges, but the scientists who design them are developed by these two institutes.

AND

anshabhi wrote:
IIST is one of the most difficult institutes to get into. Its cutoffs lie below 500 rank in JEE Advanced, and IISc has about 3500 cutoff.

How are these 2 sentences related? IIST is difficult to get into, so its likely the rocket designs were the work of graduates from IIST rather than Palaniswamy Instt of Technology?

planeophilic
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:53 am

BawliBooch wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

That is totally incorrect, and I am being polite.

An overwhelming proportion of ISRO/DRDO scientists are graduates from Engineering & Science colleges from South India - especially Tamil Nadu. Very few IISc/IIT grads - overwhelming number of those still prefer to take a flight out. And we cant blame them.

I agree- A large percentage of IIT graduates do not even want to remain in India. The route is IIT->Head to US->Settle in US, or, IIT->IIM->Head to US->Settle in US.

Add to that the traditional herd mentality- we have got Civil, Mechanical and Electrical engineers practically hunting for work in the IT Sector. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry wants to have a 'Start- up' today.
ISRO students are increasingly coming from second tier government institutions and even some private ones. Also, be it known that in India, unlike most other countries, the government inst. are way better than the private ones in quality of teaching, quality of faculty, infrastructure, and research.

Look, I have conducted scientific research (cell phone networks) many years ago, and my experience is 'Don't go for research If you are looking for money an/or fame or quick results'- this is as much as true in the US as much in India.

Only those with true passion can do good research. Those with even greater passion, or financial limitations, will stay behind in India to do it.
A guy out of IIT has much more choice- he can get MUCH better pay, so the money- minded ones seek to leave quickly.

BawliBooch

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:39 am

planeophilic wrote:

That's not a recent thing - its ALWAYS been like that. The father of the Indian missile programme, Abdul Kalam passed out of a regional science college in Tiruchirapalli followed by an aerospace post graduate degree from Madras Instt of Technology - not exactly IIT/IIS. Much of the PSLV programme is led by ladies who passed out of very basic REC's in South India.

My parents came from humble REC's in North India before joining the DRDO/ISRO.

planeophilic wrote:
Only those with true passion can do good research. Those with even greater passion, or financial limitations, will stay behind in India to do it.
A guy out of IIT has much more choice- he can get MUCH better pay, so the money- minded ones seek to leave quickly.

I am no high-tech wizard but I decided to return to India in 2007 and now regret it. Now I am filing my papers again to move out. India is slowly sliding towards a hell-hole, and I dont want to be here when the final apocalypse arrives. Many other tech-wiz's who chose to come back to India around that time are reaching the same conclusion.

planeophilic
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 am

BawliBooch wrote:
planeophilic wrote:

That's not a recent thing - its ALWAYS been like that. The father of the Indian missile programme, Abdul Kalam passed out of a regional science college in Tiruchirapalli followed by an aerospace post graduate degree from Madras Instt of Technology - not exactly IIT/IIS. Much of the PSLV programme is led by ladies who passed out of very basic REC's in South India.

My parents came from humble REC's in North India before joining the DRDO/ISRO.

planeophilic wrote:

I am no high-tech wizard but I decided to return to India in 2007 and now regret it. Now I am filing my papers again to move out. India is slowly sliding towards a hell-hole, and I dont want to be here when the final apocalypse arrives. Many other tech-wiz's who chose to come back to India around that time are reaching the same conclusion.

That's strange- as of this moment, India has the highest number of NRIs returning home to work. Reasons range from the global slowdown that is in progress right now, to stricter immigration laws, to, of course, economic opportunities at home, what with the influx of a lot of foreign employers like Uber/ Amazon.
Its possible you have personal/ ideological reasons to leave, and that is okay.
Also, the 'hell- hole' and 'Apocalypse' comment seems very far fetched, to be honest.

BawliBooch

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 am

planeophilic wrote:
That's strange- as of this moment, India has the highest number of NRIs returning home to work. Reasons range from the global slowdown that is in progress right now, to stricter immigration laws, to, of course, economic opportunities at home, what with the influx of a lot of foreign employers like Uber/ Amazon.
Also, the 'hell- hole' and 'Apocalypse' comment seems very far fetched, to be honest.

Yes! As I said there are personal reasons for leaving.

And the hell-hole/apocalypse comment was based on observations on the way things are going. We have a 2 year head-start over the US - We got our Trump in 2014 itself. Maybe it will all work out in the end. But Me and my partner dont want to take that chance. And half the guys in our startup club are getting the same idea, especially after the Demonetisation stupidity - MOVE! before its too late!

planeophilic
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:25 am

BawliBooch wrote:
planeophilic wrote:

Yes! As I said there are personal reasons for leaving.

And the hell-hole/apocalypse comment was based on observations on the way things are going. We have a 2 year head-start over the US - We got our Trump in 2014 itself. Maybe it will all work out in the end. But Me and my partner dont want to take that chance. And half the guys in our startup club are getting the same idea, especially after the Demonetization stupidity - MOVE! before its too late!

I partially agree- My father runs a small consultancy business in the infrastructure and civil engg sector, designing cold storages for fruits and vegetables and stuff, and although we are too small in volume to accumulate black money, a lot of our clients relied on cash transactions to run their business and award contracts. So you can guess that all these guys- mostly small and middle level traders themselves- are empty handed right now. Forget the demonetization, the infra sector has been in the toilet since January 2016. Consultancy people and small businessmen know that when Work slows down, tempers fray, small expenditures start to sting.

We pay lakhs in income taxes every year and are yet to see much direct benefit- be it Congress or BJP or AAP. They pump all that money into slums and unauthorized colonies. I have a major beef with that.

But all said, my insider experience is that things are looking up a bit- like 5% better than exactly a year ago.
In retrospect, No one man can bring vast change- it will come from the public, and will still take 30 years at- least, just to train ourselves to throw trash in the bin and stand in a line.
it still needs a lot of work and cleaning- but I still love this goddamn country.The thought of leaving seems.....un- comfy.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:48 pm

zanl188 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

This is from memory, might try to dig up the video later. A video put out by Planet, the company that had 88 or the satellites in this launch, described how they do their deployments.

Basically the delay between deployments is enough for each satellite to deploy its solar panels, use gyros to stop spinning, and then after getting back in contact with home base, use the solar panels like wings to change their orbital inclination. There's just enough atmosphere where these are to make it a viable method of movement.

In this video I also remember them saying the lifespan of these satellites is something like a year at most. They're tiny and fairly low down so they don't stay in orbit long and clutter things up.

tommy1808

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 am

aviationaware wrote:
A client of mine is already complaining about increasing collision hazards. This is getting out of hand.

Is a client that spends the extra money to have all his satellites safely disposed at the end of their operational lifetime or is he part of the problem.
Sat2Sat collisions are rare.

Best regards
Thomas

aviationaware

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:38 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

They are rare now. Let's talk again after tons of failing startups have launched thousands of satellites nobody will ever need. Of all those startups going after the high definition geo imaging market maybe 2-3 will survive long term, max. The market just doesn't support that much, and communications is the same.

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:51 am

aviationaware wrote:
They are rare now. Let's talk again after tons of failing startups have launched thousands of satellites nobody will ever need. Of all those startups going after the high definition geo imaging market maybe 2-3 will survive long term, max. The market just doesn't support that much, and communications is the same.

Whether you like it or not every country will try to launch recon satellites. Commercial geo imaging market will be captured by cheapest provider. NRO is not going to sell images to Digital Globe, Google, Microsoft, Apple or NAVTEQ alike. That makes India leading provider of commercial satellite image provider.

I really hope Inmarsat and Iridium are not the last two survivors in communications market. They became bottleneck and financial burden on entire aviation industry.

NextGen even after US government spends $45 Billion, US carriers still have to pay fees to Inmarsat. Compare that to a not so fancy version of Indian SBAS called GAGAN. Indian government owns communication satellites and free to Indian operators.

tommy1808

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 am

aviationaware wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

They are rare now. .

They are and will remain totally insignificant compared to impacts with debris. The only problem in orbit is past operators failing to dispose properly of their satellites and the upper stages of the rockets use to lunch them. The problem is entirely their own fault and if they want a clean orbit, let's get the billions to clean up their mess from them first.

Best regards
Thomas