User avatar
Revelation
Topic Author
Posts: 16476
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Seems like Boeing is moving fast to try to cash in on The Donald's contempt for Lockeed's pricing on the F-35:

From http://aviationweek.com/defense/boeing- ... -firepower (free registration required):

Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch
  • Secretary of Defense James Mattis is overseeing a review comparing F-35C and F/A-18 E/F
  • “Block 3” moves away from stealth, increases magazine depth
  • New design features conformal fuel tanks, long-range IRST, advanced computing
  • Will complement F-35C, E-2D and Growler
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence
 
Ozair
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:07 am

Revelation wrote:
Seems like Boeing is moving fast to try to cash in on The Donald's contempt for Lockeed's pricing on the F-35:

From http://aviationweek.com/defense/boeing- ... -firepower (free registration required):

Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch
  • Secretary of Defense James Mattis is overseeing a review comparing F-35C and F/A-18 E/F
  • “Block 3” moves away from stealth, increases magazine depth
  • New design features conformal fuel tanks, long-range IRST, advanced computing
  • Will complement F-35C, E-2D and Growler

Not sure Boeing are moving fast. They have simply changed the marketing from Advanced Super Hornet to Blk 3 Super Hornet... Trump has already claimed victory over the F-35 so I can see this falling by the wayside in the next month or two.

A simple comparison of the capabilities of the two jets shows continued investment in F-35C is overwhelmingly the better decision. Doesn't mean the USN shouldn’t have a few more SH to tide them over a couple of years but any long term investment in SH is wasted dollars.
 
LightningZ71
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:00 pm

A purchase to replace the 50-100 oldest active hornets seems wise. Then canabilise those for spares.
 
st21
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig...
 
Ozair
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
A purchase to replace the 50-100 oldest active hornets seems wise. Then canabilise those for spares.

Spares availability is not the only issue, a lack of funding for deep level maintenance over a sustained period of time has been just as bad.

Some info on Hornet woes here,

http://breakingdefense.com/2017/02/navy ... -plummets/
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 2901
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 am

Ozair wrote:
LightningZ71 wrote:
A purchase to replace the 50-100 oldest active hornets seems wise. Then canabilise those for spares.

Spares availability is not the only issue, a lack of funding for deep level maintenance over a sustained period of time has been just as bad.

Some info on Hornet woes here,

http://breakingdefense.com/2017/02/navy ... -plummets/

Not only that, some of the earliest Super Hornets are getting close to the end of their design lives, as a result of the USN burning through flight hours. The Super Hornet only has a designed life span of 6,000 hours. I can see why the USN is actively considering buying more Super Hornets; the USN TACAIR fleet is in the midst of imploding due to aircraft being ridden hard.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:02 am

ThePointblank wrote:
The Super Hornet only has a designed life span of 6,000 hours.


9000 with a life extension, but hey, as usual, don't let facts get in your way in your campaign to promote the F-35.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... vy-425221/
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 2901
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:56 am

VSMUT wrote:

9000 with a life extension, but hey, as usual, don't let facts get in your way in your campaign to promote the F-35.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... vy-425221/


And what part of my statement is incorrect? I said:

ThePointblank wrote:
The Super Hornet only has a designed life span of 6,000 hours.


Which is correct. They are proposing extending that to 9,000 hours with a SLEP, but I actually doubt that will happen; for one, the USN depots are already heavily backlogged with Hornets and Super Hornetrs needing depot maintenance, thus there is no capacity within the USN to actually do the SLEP.

Also, the Super Hornets that are getting close to the 6,000 hour mark are mostly Block I birds. The Block I Super Hornet has a number of technical and structural differences that makes it very costly to update them to even the current Block II standards.
 
User avatar
ssteve
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 am

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Ozair wrote:
Trump has already claimed victory over the F-35 so I can see this falling by the wayside in the next month or two.


We'd call him a seagull manager at my company. Flies in, makes a lot of noise, shits all over everything, flies away.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos