Revelation
Topic Author

Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Seems like Boeing is moving fast to try to cash in on The Donald's contempt for Lockeed's pricing on the F-35:

From http://aviationweek.com/defense/boeing- ... -firepower (free registration required):

• Secretary of Defense James Mattis is overseeing a review comparing F-35C and F/A-18 E/F
  • “Block 3” moves away from stealth, increases magazine depth
  • New design features conformal fuel tanks, long-range IRST, advanced computing
  • Will complement F-35C, E-2D and Growler
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

Ozair

Re: Boeing’s Latest Advanced Super Hornet Pitch

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:07 am

Revelation wrote:
Seems like Boeing is moving fast to try to cash in on The Donald's contempt for Lockeed's pricing on the F-35:

From http://aviationweek.com/defense/boeing- ... -firepower (free registration required):

• Secretary of Defense James Mattis is overseeing a review comparing F-35C and F/A-18 E/F
  • “Block 3” moves away from stealth, increases magazine depth
  • New design features conformal fuel tanks, long-range IRST, advanced computing
  • Will complement F-35C, E-2D and Growler

Not sure Boeing are moving fast. They have simply changed the marketing from Advanced Super Hornet to Blk 3 Super Hornet... Trump has already claimed victory over the F-35 so I can see this falling by the wayside in the next month or two.

A simple comparison of the capabilities of the two jets shows continued investment in F-35C is overwhelmingly the better decision. Doesn't mean the USN shouldn’t have a few more SH to tide them over a couple of years but any long term investment in SH is wasted dollars.

LightningZ71

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:00 pm

A purchase to replace the 50-100 oldest active hornets seems wise. Then canabilise those for spares.

st21

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig...

Ozair

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
A purchase to replace the 50-100 oldest active hornets seems wise. Then canabilise those for spares.

Spares availability is not the only issue, a lack of funding for deep level maintenance over a sustained period of time has been just as bad.

Some info on Hornet woes here,

http://breakingdefense.com/2017/02/navy ... -plummets/

ThePointblank

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 am

Ozair wrote:
LightningZ71 wrote:

Spares availability is not the only issue, a lack of funding for deep level maintenance over a sustained period of time has been just as bad.

Some info on Hornet woes here,

http://breakingdefense.com/2017/02/navy ... -plummets/

Not only that, some of the earliest Super Hornets are getting close to the end of their design lives, as a result of the USN burning through flight hours. The Super Hornet only has a designed life span of 6,000 hours. I can see why the USN is actively considering buying more Super Hornets; the USN TACAIR fleet is in the midst of imploding due to aircraft being ridden hard.

VSMUT

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:02 am

ThePointblank wrote:
The Super Hornet only has a designed life span of 6,000 hours.

9000 with a life extension, but hey, as usual, don't let facts get in your way in your campaign to promote the F-35.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... vy-425221/

ThePointblank

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:56 am

VSMUT wrote:

9000 with a life extension, but hey, as usual, don't let facts get in your way in your campaign to promote the F-35.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... vy-425221/

And what part of my statement is incorrect? I said:

ThePointblank wrote:
The Super Hornet only has a designed life span of 6,000 hours.

Which is correct. They are proposing extending that to 9,000 hours with a SLEP, but I actually doubt that will happen; for one, the USN depots are already heavily backlogged with Hornets and Super Hornetrs needing depot maintenance, thus there is no capacity within the USN to actually do the SLEP.

Also, the Super Hornets that are getting close to the 6,000 hour mark are mostly Block I birds. The Block I Super Hornet has a number of technical and structural differences that makes it very costly to update them to even the current Block II standards.

ssteve

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Ozair wrote:
Trump has already claimed victory over the F-35 so I can see this falling by the wayside in the next month or two.

We'd call him a seagull manager at my company. Flies in, makes a lot of noise, shits all over everything, flies away.