Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Palm Beach International - Trump effect

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:07 pm

I was watching the television news for Palm Beach, Florida a couple of weeks ago and they had a story about how security around Mr.Trump's estate would greatly increase once he took office. Nothing was mentioned about PBI from which Mr.Trump would arrive and depart from when he is visiting Palm Beach so I am curious as to what kind of (if any) modifications the airport would need to undertake to handle AF1 (747) and the various type of military aircraft that would accompany Mr.Trump when he visits Palm Beach.

Also, with Mr.Trump becoming President will we see an uptick in commercial flights to/from PBI to accommodate press, media and support personnel?

DFW789ER

Re: Palm Beach International - Trump effect

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
I was watching the television news for Palm Beach, Florida a couple of weeks ago and they had a story about how security around Mr.Trump's estate would greatly increase once he took office. Nothing was mentioned about PBI from which Mr.Trump would arrive and depart from when he is visiting Palm Beach so I am curious as to what kind of (if any) modifications the airport would need to undertake to handle AF1 (747) and the various type of military aircraft that would accompany Mr.Trump when he visits Palm Beach.

Also, with Mr.Trump becoming President will we see an uptick in commercial flights to/from PBI to accommodate press, media and support personnel?

Trying not to be political, but the president has made it known which press he will accommodate and the ones he won't. That's not going to stop the networks from doing so. Either way,I can't imagine it would be enough to warrant additional airline flights.
Last edited by DFW789ER on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ty97

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm not an expert on the topic (at all) but my armchair assumption is that the airport itself does not require any modifications. US Presidents travel to various airports across the country and around the world. The Secret Service manages that (whatever the protocol for managing that is) so I presume they will just use standard protocol when he travels to PBI.

I doubt we'll see an uptick in commercial flights, as the press, etc, tend to travel on AF1 with the President. I don't think there will be enough additional travelers outside of AF1 to warrant additional commercial service.

nikeherc

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:20 pm

There is also usually a press charter.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 pm

He's always wanted to reroute traffic into PBI since it overflies Mar a Lago. That's the only thing that might change?

727LOVER

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 pm

WOW...2nd time in a week that I had an idea for a topic and someone beat me to it. Great minds think alike :bigthumbsup:

I was googling Trump and PBI because I had heard years ago that Trump wanted to buy PBI and move it, because he was fed up with the noise.

I didn't find that but apparently, Trump was suing PBI over the noise

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm- ... story.html

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm- ... story.html

I've been on this site for 15 years...I've never heard of PBI known as MALICIOUS :eek:
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/13/luxury/ ... h-lawsuit/

I did get a pic of his Boeing 727 many years ago , I was pretty close to it.

canyonblue17

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:31 pm

A couple of quick notes:
1) Trump is not the first President to have a home in Palm Beach - John F. Kennedy.
2) Air Force One is a frequent visitor to PBI (lots of money means lots of fundraising trips).
3) They currently use a line of school buses to create a security perimeter where AF1 parks.
4) You can usually tell it is coming the next day when the C-17 support aircraft arrive.
5) The big change may be off-airport - as Trump is trying to get approval for a helicopter pad at his home.
6) Several pilots have told me arrivals and departure routes will be changed as his home sits directly under the flight path.

canyonblue17

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Also, the Global photo posted above (which I took) is almost exactly where AF1 normally parks.

727LOVER

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:57 pm

W O W

They want to keep Civ Av nice and pure, don't they?

Wasn't this thread about traffic patterns & airline traffic around a COMMERCIAL airport ?

canyonblue17

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Some of his comings and goings from PBI

fcogafa

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:18 pm

jfk777

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:47 pm

Airplanes will have to approach PBI from either north or south but not over Mar a Lago. For the last 3 days all landing and takeoff have been to the west, usually they are to the east. When Trump comes only commercial traffic will be allowed, all the hedge fund guys will have to leave their Gulfstreams and Challengers at home.

canyonblue17

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:14 pm

jfk777 wrote:
For the last 3 days all landing and takeoff have been to the west, usually they are to the east.

That is a result of the wind direction. During the winter months at PBI you get more winds out of the west (often associated with cold fronts) - shifting departures and arrivals in the other direction.

My questions are: 1) Will PBI use the cross runway more frequently? It's long enough to handle most traffic, and approaches in either direction would avoid Trumps's home. 2) Where will corporate jets (it's not unusual to see 100 corporate movements in a day at PBI in season) be forced to land instead? North County Airport (a general aviation feeder airport run by Palm Beach County), Boca Raton or other nearby airports?

727LOVER

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:33 pm

STILL....no indication why this thread is in Military & Space forum

Anyway, I will be down @ PBI in early March for the first time in 15 years or so. I hope Trump is nowhere around so I can get some good shots. The spotting seems difficult, even with a dedicated spotting area. Terminal apron facing south doesn't help either. We shall see.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:21 pm

727LOVER wrote:
STILL....no indication why this thread is in Military & Space forum

Anyway, I will be down @ PBI in early March for the first time in 15 years or so. I hope Trump is nowhere around so I can get some good shots. The spotting seems difficult, even with a dedicated spotting area. Terminal apron facing south doesn't help either. We shall see.

Good point...not sure why I posted my questions in the Military and Space forum.