User avatar
Mortyman
Topic Author
Posts: 4481
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:53 pm

Canadian CF-18 has crashed. Pilot did not survive

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pilot-ki ... -1.3180360

R.I.P



.
 
Ozair
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Canadian CF-18 has crashed. Pilot did not survive

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pilot-ki ... -1.3180360

R.I.P



.

Sorry to hear it. I knew numerous Canadian Hornet aircrew so hoping it is not one of them.

Canada doesn't have a great record flying Hornets out of Cold Lake or flying Hornets in general.
 
LMP737
Posts: 5103
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:20 am

Ozair wrote:
Sorry to hear it. I knew numerous Canadian Hornet aircrew so hoping it is not one of them.

Canada doesn't have a great record flying Hornets out of Cold Lake or flying Hornets in general.



Do you have something to back that up like an internal CAF report or something of that sort? Or is this just more F-35 cheer leading?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 21093
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:16 am

The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) said there have been 19 crashes involving CF-18 Hornets. Of those incidents, 11 have included fatalities.

http://globalnews.ca/news/309472/cf-18- ... e-crashes/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Ozair
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:35 am

LMP737 wrote:
Ozair wrote:
Sorry to hear it. I knew numerous Canadian Hornet aircrew so hoping it is not one of them.

Canada doesn't have a great record flying Hornets out of Cold Lake or flying Hornets in general.



Do you have something to back that up like an internal CAF report or something of that sort? Or is this just more F-35 cheer leading?

Not sure what the F-35 has to do with this???

If you review the number of incidents Canada has had with their Hornet fleet compared to other Hornet operators, the statistics are pretty damning. The RAAF has lost a total of four aircraft from 75 acquired and no accident since 1992. The Spanish I believe have lost 6 Hornets to crashes, from 96 aircraft and nothing since 2003. (If anyone has newer data please post). Kuwait has lost one Hornet from 40 ordered with two reported crashes.

The Canadians have lost over twenty from 138 aircraft acquired (and they have been flying a lot less than 138 for quite a few years) with no significant break in incidents across their operational life.

I don't consider the conditions the Canadians fly in to be any worse than what the RAAF has and most Canadian crashes have occurred between April and October. The Canadians have seen more operational hours but most crashes occurred in North America.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:47 pm

The question is why? Is it due to luck running out? Due to maintenance? Due to lack of training? Or something else. Crash numbers are notorious hard to interpret.

The Dutch, for example, had 63 accidents (some have been repaired though), with their F-16's. Operated since 1979 and 213 ordered.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
ptrjong
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:38 am

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The question is why? Is it due to luck running out? Due to maintenance? Due to lack of training? Or something else. Crash numbers are notorious hard to interpret.

The Dutch, for example, had 63 accidents (some have been repaired though), with their F-16's. Operated since 1979 and 213 ordered.


The number of write-offs is much lower - 36? The number of 63 must include pretty minor incidents.

A useful yardstick is write-offs per x flying hours.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Yes, peter, but NATO countries will fly aprox the same number of hours, right?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
cumulushumilis
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:36 pm

RCAF update on the crash

[urlhttp://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/flight-safety/article-template-flight-safety.page?doc=cf188747-hornet-from-the-investigator/izkjob7m][/url]

I'm wondering if G-LOC could cause an accident like this? Not speculating that G-LOC caused this tragic accident, however could a pilot black out at 5.6 Gs?
 
Ozair
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Pilot killed as CF-18 crashes near Cold Lake

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:03 am

cumulushumilis wrote:
RCAF update on the crash

[urlhttp://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/flight-safety/article-template-flight-safety.page?doc=cf188747-hornet-from-the-investigator/izkjob7m][/url]

I'm wondering if G-LOC could cause an accident like this? Not speculating that G-LOC caused this tragic accident, however could a pilot black out at 5.6 Gs?

It is possible to black out at 5.6 Gs but it really depends on the circumstances.

Before engaging in a high G mission most NATO aircrew are trained to do a G warm, where they fly a 4g maxing at 5g turn. In doing so they don't do any of the standard breathing and tightening of muscles (g straining) that aides handling G. This warms the body and brain up for the higher G to come later. You can get close to blacking out at that 5g limit.

Questions are, was his G suit plugged in properly and functioning as it probably should have allowed him to function at 5.6 G. Did he conduct standard G straining or was caught out when his turn and bank was higher than expected? Did he conduct a G warm?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: starrion and 2 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos