Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

China sends two astronauts to Tiangong 2

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:27 pm

China has sent two astronauts into space on a mission to dock with an experimental space station and remain aboard for 30 days in preparation for the start of operations in six years.
The Shenzhou 11 mission took off from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center on the edge of the Gobi Desert in northern China at 7:30am (2330 GMT) aboard a Long March-2F carrier rocket.
It will dock with the Tiangong 2 space station precursor facility within two days, conduct experiments in medicine and various space-related technologies, and test systems and processes in preparation for the launching of the station’s core module in 2018.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ce-station
--
I personally find this very impressive.

neutrino

Re: China sends two astronauts to Tiangong 2

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:53 am

The Middle Kingdom is pouring in huge amounts of resources into their space programmes to catch up with Russia and the USA. On their plates are a permanent space station, manned moonshot and also a Mars rover-landing mission. In certain little areas they are even ahead of the curve; such as the launch of its quantum satellite two months ago.
http://qz.com/760804/chinas-new-quantum ... able-code/

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:38 pm

neutrino wrote:
The Middle Kingdom is pouring in huge amounts of resources into their space programmes to catch up with Russia and the USA. On their plates are a permanent space station, manned moonshot and also a Mars rover-landing mission. In certain little areas they are even ahead of the curve; such as the launch of its quantum satellite two months ago.
http://qz.com/760804/chinas-new-quantum ... able-code/

It will be very interesting to watch this new part in the space race, as it seems that the US and Russia are both being much less inovative and ground breaking then in the past, which leaves a great amount of possibilities for a country like China. I would really want to see more countries (I would not say no to my country getting involved) get involved in the Tiangong 2 program or in other Chinese space programs as I believe that China is currently at the forefront of the space race.

chimnon

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:06 pm

I have big doubt on the quality of Chinese-made space vehicles & equipments.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:31 pm

chimnon wrote:

- Typical line of thought from people living in some places in this world...
- Was manned spaced flights safe in the early days in the US or Russia? Give China time to mature their space program before passing a judgment as the US and Russia were in the same place earlier on.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:13 pm

Congrats to China. Here's hoping everyone stays safe.

neutrino

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:07 pm

chimnon wrote:

In case you are living under a rock, China had less failures in rocket launches than the US in the last couple of years. I'm too lazy to look up now but also in hypersonics, China had flown their craft more - and with less failures - than the US.
But you are free to choose not to hitch a ride on their Long March rockets.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:42 am

neutrino wrote:
chimnon wrote:

In case you are living under a rock, China had less failures in rocket launches than the US in the last couple of years. I'm too lazy to look up now but also in hypersonics, China had flown their craft more - and with less failures - than the US.
But you are free to choose not to hitch a ride on their Long March rockets.

I have no problem in saying that the Chinese Space Program is a safe one and one that is just as good as the US or Russian ones, however I would give much weight to these reports on crashes, don't forget that China is fundamentally still under a comunism regime and that the Government still has a say on what is published in the media or not, so they might not be disclosing all of their accidents.